3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: arrow mass weight  (Read 678 times)

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
arrow mass weight
« on: June 05, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »
Been wondering about arrow mass weight ? I have been shooting sense the early 60's and I don't understand the guys that shoot the massive heavy arrows . I shoot 60# with an arrow that total weight is just over 600gr. I have shot with guys that have arrows that are over 800gr. and they have a rainbow trajectory . I am not being critical just can't get it to fit in my brain . I don't want to shoot the ultra light arrows either , I have seen them have very poor penetration and they drop fast at longer ranges as well . I feel that I have found a happy medium with my setup in that I have very little difference between 20 and 30 yds and on a deer sized animal I get a complete pass threw . So could anybody help me understand or am I just all wet ?

Offline ironmike

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: arrow mass weight
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
sounds perfect to me,an 800 gr arrow(which i have)is ffor a 75-80# bow.10-11 gpi is were it's at,but, if your hog hunting up close or bear hunting up close,i'd see the advantage of 14 gpi.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
A subjective question posed to an approximate 39,000 members will likely derive the answer one wishes to hear.

Satisfied personal results should serve to satisfy your needs. One’s own personal confidence is paramount when executing a shot on live game.

Note: Your arrow mass in conjunction with your bow specs do not fall w/I the gray areas of controversy for North American game.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:23:00 PM »
well said Sir.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline RecurveRookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
I think most guys are shooting 8 to 10 gpp.  I like 8 to 9.
Maddog Mountaineer 57# and Prairie Predator 52# Wow!, Samick Sage 35 - 60#,  I'm learning.

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
People should shoot the gpp they are most accurate with. That seems to run 8-14 gpp depending on who you talk to, what and where they hunt.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I have recently shot an arrow spined for my setup that was around 1200gr. and at 20 yds. it hit 2 ft. low and didn't stick in the backstop very well . Just dropped down barely hanging in by the tip of the arrowhead . My curiosity is there are some heavy heads out there that are 200gr. plus and I am wondering if I am missing out on something . I shoot a 125gr. 2 blade now . I only heard of those very heavy setups just a few years ago . The owner of the archery shop I frequent tells me that my setup is not broke so don't fix it . I truly am wondering I guess , how heavy is heavy and how light is to light ?

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
In my HMO an arrow that weighs 10 to 12 gpp will perform very well.

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:00 PM »
I prefer an arrow weight of 10 grains per pound of actual draw weight.  I have shot heavier and lighter, but am a middle of the road guy anymore.

Sometimes my arrows tune a little higher or lower, but normally are within rounding distance of the magic number.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
9-14 gpp seems like a good range for reliable hunting and you can find what works best for you, it also helps to consider the bow, some bows are more efficient than others.  I have seen a lighter pounds but more 'hot rod'/efficient bow lob a heavy arrow relatively flat and a much heavier pound/ less efficient bow lob it like a rainbow.  i would just experiment until you find something that is first and foremost ACCURATE for you.  most would agree having a tough razor sharp broadhead hit the right spot is more than half the battle right??
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 12:10:00 AM »
What about the heavy heads like the Meathead or the like ?  :dunno:

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
10 to 10.5 for performance in the field.
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 04:53:00 AM »
I like mine about 8-9gpp But Im hunting varmits.
You need a fast arrow for coyotes. And if I ever get a shot at our 90 pound deer it will be just fine. You can be too light and also too heavy. The 10 gn to every ten pounds is a good rule in most cases. If it works its not broken. I do not think Ishi thought a whole lot abought it. I like what Friend said.  :thumbsup:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 06:11:00 AM »
Depends a lot on the bow. Some are loud and shocky below 10 gpp warning you of lost efficiency. Others shoot 7 gpp without complain and fast to boot. With a straight limb longbow I don't want to be shooting below 12 gpp at all.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
Bruinbow, what shaft wood are you shooting now?
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2013, 03:32:00 PM »
I seem to have not asked the question properly . I am wondering about the HEAVY HEADS and some of the setups that some people shoot . I know that my setup for all of my bows is correct . I just was curious about the HEAVY setups , that's all . I have been shooting sense 1962 and I wont claim to know everything but I do know what I am doing . So does any one on here shoot the very HEAVY setups and why do you do it ?  :banghead:

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2013, 04:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bruinbow:
I seem to have not asked the question properly . I am wondering about the HEAVY HEADS and some of the setups that some people shoot . I know that my setup for all of my bows is correct . I just was curious about the HEAVY setups , that's all . I have been shooting sense 1962 and I wont claim to know everything but I do know what I am doing . So does any one on here shoot the very HEAVY setups and why do you do it ?    :banghead:  
Guys shooting very heavy point weight do so to achieve a high Front of Center while also increasing arrow weight. Best of both worlds for penetration in general terms.

So....one guy's 600 grain arrow (total weight) is wood with a 125 grain broadhead and another's 600 grain arrow (total weight) is carbon with a 250 grain broadhead. Both weigh a total of 600 grains a d both have been proven to work, but there may be some benefits to the one with the heavier point weight (higher Front Of Center).

Offline Bruinbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2013, 04:50:00 PM »
What about a setup ie 50# with 30" arrow that has a mass weight of lest say 900gr. ? I have seen some setups like that and what is the advantage of that or is there none ? Howard Hill shot an eliphant with a 1200gr. head but he was pushing it with 115# , dont know how heavy the shaft was though .

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2013, 06:16:00 PM »
Bruinbow, biggest advantage I see with your suggested 18gpp is noise reduction. Second would be gain  in  momentum for really big critters. That much weight would be difficult for me to shoot accurately at unknown ranges.

With modern light weight carbon shafts you need not have such a heavy total weight, example I have some the have 300gr point weight and 600gr total weight out of low 50 pound bows.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bruinbow:
What about a setup ie 50# with 30" arrow that has a mass weight of lest say 900gr. ? I have seen some setups like that and what is the advantage of that or is there none ? Howard Hill shot an eliphant with a 1200gr. head but he was pushing it with 115# , dont know how heavy the shaft was though .
Never shot anything over 600 grains myself.... Maybe someone else will chime in.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©