3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Field Dressing Kit?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Field Dressing Kit?
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 08:22:00 PM »
What is the gutless method?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 08:26:00 PM »
I only carry a knife, rubber gloves, rubber bands and string to tie off the rectum. The rubber bands are for keeping the shoulder length gloves in place. I never split the pelvis, just cut around the outer edge area of the rectum blade length deep and then pull the rectum up and tie it off. You can finish cutting out the rectum from the body cavity and pull threw.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »
Skin the deer taking the hind quarters, front shoulders, backstrap, and neck.  Trim off some very  little small portions left on the ribs.  Nice and clean.  Can't make two hamburgers of good meat with what's left.  Oh, and don't forget the tender loins

Google gutless cleaning deer, it's easier to understand if you see it
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wannabe1:
What is the gutless method? [

Check out "gutless field dress" on youtube. You'll see some good videos. Works like a charm.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Thanks guys, appreciate the help.   :thumbsup:

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 08:45:00 PM »
I use the gutless method in warm weather. I then tenderize ( age) the meat in a refrig.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
You will see a few on Youtube. . . but I do it like Fred Eichler does an elk  

I leave the hide on the rear quarters for easy carry, though I bone out the shoulders and carry out all the meat in my turkey vest (which I always wear instead of a backpack- even deer hunting.)  the only optional issue is whether you are keeping the cape and antlers- but with a little care that is easily removed too.  

Good hunting.  You will have fun
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Use an alice pack and a contractors plastic bag.  It's not as easy as a pack frame, but our deer don't weigh as much as northern deer do.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2013, 10:56:00 PM »
I'd add a couple things - though traveling light is a blessing sometimes.

A 12 feet or so of 5/16" cord to fashion a deer drag (mine is an ancient Hunters Specialties that has a web strap for comfort).

Also, a resealable travel pack of disposable baby wipes.  Clean you and the knife up better than water, and are TP from heaven vs. dry leaves (or icy, wet leaves).

I also keep a candy bar in my pack.  After the deer is down I eat it to calm down and reflect, then have the energy for the drag after the field dressing.

A good flashlight like a Main Beam or a Fenix PD30 or 32 is worth it's weight in gold if you end up blood-trailing and field dressing after dark.  

Don't forget a pen to fill out your license/tag depending on your local laws.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

Offline beaunaro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »
Contents of my field dressing kit: a bottle of water, two flashlites, a compass, tissue paper or flagging tape, the vet gloves and the short gloves over top, paper towels, the short fish filet knife works great for cutting around the rectum cavity, (it's all I use for the entire job on a deer)(If it's hogs we're after, I add a skinning knife), an all sharps to keep it that way, tags and zip ties, deer drag webbing kit, camera, extra batterys for flashlite and camera, cell phone. Pillow cases for meat carrying and  maybe a small nylon tarp for laying under a hog to keep meat clean. A feed sack works as a small tarp too.
Seems like a lot, but it stays in camp or vehicle until tracking begins. Whole separate operation for me.
I guess if you are out on a DIY wilderness hunt, you leave a few items out and do without.
OH YEAH...and a strong young partner to help drag..LOL
Irv Eichorst
 www.truesouthadventures.com
Irv Eichorst

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2013, 06:08:00 AM »
I do all my gutting with a folding case pocket knife but the knife you have pictured will do fine. I start by carving around the rectum first, then start my cut at the rib cage and cut down with the grain of the hair. Just be careful not to cut into the guts or stomach if you do it makes the work that much more unpleasant. Pay attention to what your doing and if you make a mistake just correct it next time.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2013, 07:29:00 AM »
Not a bunch of monkeying around and backpacks full of stuff needed to gut a deer.  I use the little folding pocket knife I always carry around, a couple of the wet-naps are nice to have to clean up your hands.  Here's a tip - a couple days later peeling and cutting up an apple for a snack on the next hunt will clean off your knife REAL nicely!

I worry more about having a camera handy to take pictures of the deer before the field dressing than the actual field dressing part.  Trust me, if you mess something up the deer won't complain.

R

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2013, 08:04:00 AM »
I've done several with my Case Trapper pocket knife, I skin with it too. A big knife isn't needed and too big can cause problems.

With experience and taking your time will lead to much less mess in the deer and on you. I've never worn gloves and normally only my fingers are bloody when I'm done.

Good Luck!!

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
Some like gut hooks, some don't.  IMO it makes the "unzipping" part safer and cleaner.  Even in good light and with extra hands, I tend to prick something I shouldn't.  Keep the head higher than the butt and most of the insides will roll out with some trimming around the connective tissue and wind pipe.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 08:30:00 AM »
a knife - I have never worn gloves but some do.

Cut with the grain of the fur is good advice and will keep it cleaner.  I tell everyone I help with their first - it's just like a big fish - take out the parts you do not want to eat and you are good to go.  With the knife you have the chest should open right up so no need for a saw there.  Even with a little folding knife you can cut the chest cavity open along one side or the other where the cage meets the breast plate. Pretty easy if this is something you prefer.  

I prefer just reaching up inside for the wind pipe in the rare cases I do not go "gutless" - the smaller the opening the less that finds it's way inside dragging.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
I use a knife, shoelace and thats it! I never get much blood On me At all, just my HANDS and I use a forked stick to carry heart and liver. I also never have any of it with me, I run home put on my guttin clothes and grab my knife and a shoelace and my deerdrag if its a doe! Pretty simple and I can dress a deer In a few minutes tops. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Stumpknocker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
I'll second the Case Trapper, and add the Case Sod Buster Jr. Both of these will hone to a hair shaving edge.  I remember the first time I watched an expert dress a hanging deer with a razor sharp trapper style pocket knife.  He was a deer skinning Jedi.  I kinda felt silly standing there with a big ole skinning knife, but I took notes.  Not that there is a thing wrong with the knife you have pictured...it will do the job for sure.  Small, hair shaving sharp blades are my choice these days.
Let's go to the woods and learn things about life (Penelope, age 4, to me).  

plx osage 62" 56@28
sax bocote 60" 54@28
Morrison Shawnee 56" 56@28

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I just happen to have a Case Sod Buster Jr. One of my favorite little pocket knives. I won't use it for hunting though as it is to pass down to my son when he comes of age.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. If I get one down, now I have a pretty good idea what to do.   :thumbsup:

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
I know i'm going to get flamed for this but my friend gave me the "Butt Out" tool as a joke and I tried it one time and it works like a charm. No cutting around and no need to split the pelvis. Makes things very clean for the ride home and the butchering at the house.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
Yup, butt out is very nice, still have to cut and tie The intestine off is it! I am not a yank and pull gutter, I am neat, cut thru The diaphragm than reach up cut windpipe and roll On side and cut along backbone as I take everything out, if done right it all comes out In pretty much one pile! Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©