3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Field Dressing Kit?  (Read 1559 times)

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Field Dressing Kit?
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
I cant remember the last time I killed a deer within a mile or two or more of the truck. Living where you do you could find yourself in that situation. Whole lot easier to cut it up and pack it out if you cant just gut it and drag it a couple hundred feet to you truck. Gutless and a good pack works way better.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by 4dogs:
I cant remember the last time I killed a deer within a mile or two or more of the truck. Living where you do you could find yourself in that situation. Whole lot easier to cut it up and pack it out if you cant just gut it and drag it a couple hundred feet to you truck. Gutless and a good pack works way better.
WAYYYY better.  I am 50 and in a line of 5 generations of deer hunters.  All we knew was the gut and drag thing. . .   I can not believe all the work we did. . . especially those back breaking north woods cedar swamps! It was the tradition and all we knew. . .   It really makes no good sense when you think about it though.  I can actually bone out a deer in about the same time I can gut a deer.  No mess and I can carry the entire deer out with no work.  Besides, the carcass is incredible feed for many animals- consumed in a day or two.

This past late season a friend of mine shot 2 does in one early AM sit.  We were on a schedule crunch.  He was going to leave the deer until later in the day to come get them.  I pulled out my folding knife and told him if we had 20 minutes we could take both out. He was shocked to see me part out a deer in ten minutes.  10 x 2 = 20 minutes.  Strap the quarters to our treestand/packs and my turkey vest carried straps, boned shoulders, neck and tenderloins.    

WAYYYYY too easy!
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
In theory you only need a sharp knife, but i like a caping knife as well, a small bone saw, gloves, and a game bag.  With a little practice I feel like less is more.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2013, 01:05:00 AM »
I have never used gloves. It seems like it would be more difficult to get a grip and really feel what you are doing. Besides a little blood won't hurt you, it washes right off! All I use is one knife. I'm thinking of maybe getting a small folding saw cause I always have a horrible time splitting the tail bone. Hope you get one this year! Good hunting.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2013, 01:38:00 AM »
Thanks Tristan! Good luck with your season also. What type of folding saw do you recommend?
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2013, 11:05:00 AM »
Don't mean to be contrary but you do need to be a little careful with any animal blood...it can hurt you. Had a friend who cut himself while taking apart a cow elk, got some sort of bug from the blood and ended up loosing his  thumb and had quite a battle on his hands for a while...use glove and be careful.
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2013, 04:45:00 PM »
ANY animal is correct as 4dogs said above. And be extra careful with bone marrow and brains. I do not saw through anything just cut a joint apart with a knife. A lot has been written about the problems you and your loved ones can be exposed to by a lack of knowledge on the field care of game be careful out there.

Offline Air Cleaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
The Black pepper works really well, been doing it for years. I started using a folding razor knife. If it gets dull just change the blade, fits nice in the pocket. The gloves I personally won't use because I can't grip anything, innards and such just slip out of your hand. You really need to be careful with your blade, many a man (including myself) has required stitches from trying to hurry. You'll develop your own system. I wish you luck!
SEMPER FI!        
 Montanna 50# Bear K Hunter 45#
           Bear Super K 45#
           Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#
           Redwing Hunter 49#
           55&58 Bear Polar 49&46#
           Caribow Tuktu EX 50#     
            JT Traditions Storm 45#

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
Wannabe1 what you have will be fine I would throw a smal sharping stone in there go slow and watch what ur hands are doing. I have done a lot of deer with my lil buck knife no gloves but thats was then now just buy a box of gloves it works but I can haul the whole.deer out after I gut him pretty close to Roads here and a pla,e to hang him

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Make certain you are allowed to do it "gutless" in  your state before you do.  Some states require you to check in the carcass. .  with bones.  

Try to keep it simple. You can go very nuts and very meticulous, and you can go quick and dirty with only a small pocket knife or even a broadhead if you forget your knife. It gets easier with every passing deer.  

Whatever you do, get it home, get it clean, and get it cool.  I hose mine out once I get home.  Make certain to let it dry out after the hose, but you get any spilled "gunk" off the carcass and it helps keep it sanitary, as well as starting it on its way to chilling.
ChuckC

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
I realize water can help in some cleaning of a full carcass, but if you do- dry it out ASAP with dry clothes. Water promotes rapid bacterial growth. Temps above 40 also promote rapid bacterial growth. Cooling down, dry, and clean are critical.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2013, 09:03:00 PM »
What about antibiotic cream? Am I the only guy who ever cut himself cleaning an animal?
Sam

Offline BANNOCK-.PT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
I seem to only kill deer when I forget my knife at home!
Live every day like it's your last and one day you'll be right!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2013, 02:42:00 PM »
I seem to only kill deer when I forget my knife at home!
If I knew that could happen to me, I'd leave it at home just to get my first deer and then call my wife and have her bring it to me!   :biglaugh:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2013, 04:35:00 PM »
I don't gut big game either. I always carry a pocket knife in my front pocket and a spare in my backpack. Also have a short, bout 3" long piece of ceramic glued into a piece of deer antler I carry in my pack to keep my blade sharp as I bone out the game for packing out.

Requires always having to use a backpack, but I keep it light as possible..cold weather I have to carry clothes in it anyway.

Offline Lil' Bow Pete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2013, 02:51:00 AM »
Never saw the need for gloves. The blood never has hurt me. If you cut yourself you are going to cut the glove, so how is it going to keep you from getting infected. A sharp knife, a plastic bag [for liver and heart], a head lamp and a drag rope are all I need.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 11, 2013, 08:58:00 AM »
my sharpening kit and whatever knife I'm carrying that day.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline EHK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 11, 2013, 10:34:00 AM »
If you're really a novice, I highly recommend watching the Deer and Big game processing video produced by Outdoor Edge.  Yes, they'll try to market their stuff, but it's very informative.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 11, 2013, 10:57:00 AM »
IMO, that knife is not the best choice.  I much prefer a drop point.  You are very likely to nick the gut with that one.

I use an Outdoor Edge Swingblade now

The orange handle is incredibly helpful when you lay it down  :)

I carried a Buck Crosslock for many years and did many deer with that one.

2 gallon ziplocs for heart, liver and tenderloins.

Nitrile gloves.

Wet wipes.

Cordage.

Zip ties and tags.

The Butt Out tool is very helpful.  I never split the pelvis as I feel it dries out the meat there and exposes it to dirt, etc.  And it is the best meat on the deer, except the backstraps and tenderloins of course.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
8 feet of soft in the hand braided 1/4 inch rope. VERY handy to pull back the leg etc.  I hang mine on my knife handle as it rides on my hip, but your set up may not allow that- anyway its all you need with what you have pictured from deer to elk. Game bags excepted.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©