3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I've always wondered....what if I use wrong bevel for my feathers?  (Read 591 times)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I've always wondered....what if I use wrong bevel for my feathers?
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm a thinking. . .Flywheel or not, it is not the tiny bevel area that is gonna stop the spin as much as the entire blade sticking out at 90 degrees to the spin.

ChuckC

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
I started out with right wing fletch to right wing Grizzlies when they first came out, because I had a right wing fletcher. We shot a few deer with them, lost none of the deer that we hit and sharpened them like Hill would sharpen them or sharpened them according to package directions. I got tired of that nick on my finger from the right wing feathers, so I got a left wing flecher. The cut on my index finger healed up, finally, I noticed no difference in flight or the penetration on the deer we shot.  I did notice that the incoming broahead hole at times, twice, did not have the little turned edge that the exit wound had.  When I went to left wing single bevel Hills, I noticed a better blood trail, about the same as I got from Zwickey Deltas. Some of which I sharpened to a hair shaving edge and other times a serrated edge, but I could not tell any difference in the blood trails or the penetration from one sharpening method to the other.  Before anyone jumps on me for the serrated edge, there is a difference between being merely rough and keen with a serrated edge.  If in doubt, stick with shaving sharp with these or any type of head.  But as far as the penetraiton and the fighting wing, my wife shot a nice fat doe that jumped her string with left wing arrow and a right wing file sharpened Grizzly. The arrow skidded on the rear right hip bone enough to leave a cut in it. The arrow stopped burried to wood in the far left scapula. The head cut everything that there was to cut and even with no exit wound the blood trail was short and heavy. I think getting the arrow to fly straight behind the broadhead will get results with any good head.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Might as well do it the right way when the option is there.  I've killed them with mismatched spin as well. The correct spin would have made no difference in result...

I'm a righty and I think sharpening the RW Griz is easier.

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by wooddamon1:

Originally posted by Austin Brown:
Right bevel alot eaiser for me to sharpen and I've always used left wing feathers.  Deer still don't like it much.
You must be a lefty, correct? I thought sharpening (I'm a righty) would be easier. Heads still look like I did it on a brick. [/b]
Nope I'm a righty.
Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©