3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Any advantage to certain arrow length?  (Read 607 times)

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
Any advantage to certain arrow length?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:00 AM »
I received a new longbow today. I took the full length 3355 GT traditionals I had out and shot a little.

They fly great but I feel silly since my draw length is 26" and full length for these arrows is 32.5".

Is there any advantage to shooting arrows closer to your actual draw length? Should I just not worry about how silly it looks to have 7" of arrow sticking out the front of my bow?

Offline Matty

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Any advantage to certain arrow length?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 01:10:00 AM »
Don't worry about what LOOKS silly. If they fly well use them.  I shoot most of my arrows full length. The advantage. More weight. And if the end breaks a little. It's probably still useable.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
length only matters if they are too short, and it doesn't look stupid having arrow sticking out. plus if you mess up the tip a little, you can cut them down and use a heavier tip and use for closer targets.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
The 3555 GT are 30.5" full length. If you have great flight now, cutting them down will stiffen the spine significantly and they may not shoot as well. A long arrow also helps reduce point on distance if you are gapping.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »
Mine are 32.5" from the deepest bit in the nock to the insert. Just measured them because you made me doubt my memory.

Glad to hear what you're all saying. I like the flight of these things and it's less work.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
Yes they now make them longer. Tuning and flight is all that matters concerning length.
Tom

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
For me with carbons or any arrow I let my tuning determine their length.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 08:34:00 AM »
I have always cut my arrows to 1" longer than my draw. I don't purposely look at my arrow when shooting but it's there nonetheless. Any longer than that just looks weird to me in my sight picture.

Extra length in a backquiver makes a huge difference when navigating yourself through the woods. I've been wearing a backquiver for so long I don't ever snag on things unless I have a longer than normal arrow in the bunch.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 11:36:00 AM »
I've been told a longer arrow aids in penetration, so there's a plus
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
There's no reason you need to shoot that long an arrow.  Pretty easy to select a spine that will shoot well when the arrow is cut about 1 inch past the back of the bow for broadhead/hand clearance.  

Unnecessarily long arrows are a pain for a couple of reasons.  First, if you use a bow quiver, you'll stick the nocks in the dirt every time you try to lean your bow against a tree.  In hunting situations, the longer shafts create more movement when being placed on the string, not only the arrow, but also your maneuvering to get the arrow to clear the upper limb when moving it from bow quiver to arrow shelf.  In a bow quiver, they'll hit more brush than arrows that are 6 inches shorter.  They'll catch on even more brush in a back quiver. In general, you'll just find them getting in the way more often than shorter arrows.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
I feel that there may be some advantage to a longer arrow. This is totally subjective, but it seems that longer arrows tend to stabilize a bit faster, and I do enjoy the added weight. I have never encountered difficulties in handling the arrow from the quiver to the string. 3 or 4 inches of extra length just does not magnify the problem significantly. Granted, I spend most of my time in elevated stands or roomy ground blinds, so brush is not an issue.
Sam

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
I like a stalker type side quiver and I can't figure any drawbacks to do with that. If you're putting an arrow on the string in front of an animal, you've already failed.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
I've been shooting full length shafts for years,no issues.Do what works best for you.
Leland

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nativestranger:
The 3555 GT are 30.5" full length. If you have great flight now, cutting them down will stiffen the spine significantly and they may not shoot as well. A long arrow also helps reduce point on distance if you are gapping.
X2
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 10:32:00 AM »
I was always taught to have as short an arrow as possible...less material to flex means easier to tune. INMO I think the new lately modern ideas of tuning arrows by length makes shooters look silly, like they don't know how to cut an arrow correctly....and they look like African bush men who also shoot arrows way long.  I don't see the need...carbons can be cut and tuned just like alums. and woodies.....and I use a back quiver and enjoy short arrows in it...not spears..lol

Offline CKeth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2013, 11:21:00 AM »
Nate, what carbons are commonly available that are light enough to be cut to 27" for a longbow cut 1/4 off center at 50# draw? It comes out on the calculator to 38# dynamic spine and even GT trad 1535s calculate out to mid 40s. I may try some kids 1820 aluminums and see how those shoot. I can't buy tons of arrows just to try them all.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 12:32:00 PM »
I'm not a carbon shooter, but can't you play with the tip weight/inserts to get the spine down where you need it?  They make lots of different weight field points.  Get one of the test kits that has a couple of each weight from 125 to 250 and change weight until you find the right one.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 12:36:00 PM »
Check out this thread-sounds like you're trying to do the same thing.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=128638
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
One thing about carbons once you glue the insert in not much chance of removing it that's been my exsperance anyhow .....stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
Cketh,  I'm not in the carbon game...but for example here's what my buddy shoots as far as spine goes....and he and I have never looked at any spine charts or stu miller's chart...just old fashioned arrow making knowhow from the old guys teaching us.  And my buddy is 62 years young...

He shoots 52#@26" hill style longbow.  Finding cedar arrows heavy enough to hunt with at that short draw is hard....so he shoots 80-85#spine arrows with a 225 gr. tuffhead broad head and ends up with about 570 gr arrows that fly like darts....and they are 26 1/2" bop....I would be willing to bet that you can get carbons way under 80# spine for your 52# bow at 27"...even with a moderate weight head....problem is..everyone nowadays wants to bareshaft tune.  Me and my buddy don't...we tune with feathers and can't understand all the tuning issues we see others having.  Bareshaft tuning isn't the final authority by any means..... :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©