3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: new archer with an arrow question  (Read 424 times)

Offline Aric_W

• Trad Bowhunter
new archer with an arrow question
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »
Hello all,  I am new to archery and have a question about arrow set up.  I was given a 75 # recurve by a friend at work.  I have also shot another friends 30 # recurve and can borrow the lighter bow for working on form.  I hope to eventually elk hunt with my 75 # recurve.  With a 29.5” draw I think i'm drawing closer to 80#.  From reading here it seems I want to get arrows up around 700 grains or so(9-10 grains per pound). I'm looking at easton gamegetters in 300 (2317) spine in a 31” length with steel broad head adaptors at 125 grains and 125 grain points, eventually using 125-130 grain broadheads, should get me pretty close to that.  Does that arrow have a stiff enough spine to handle that much weight up front?  The closest archery shop is at least an hour and a half away, and the other bowhunters I know all shoot compound.  Thanks for any suggestions

Aric

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: new archer with an arrow question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
Without seeming sarcastic, there is a reason you were given rather than sold a 75# recurve. Unless you are blessed with exceptional natural strength you would be well served by finding a recurve or longbow in the 40 to 45# @28" range to learn how to shoot. If your draw with a traditional bow is 29.5" that will put you shooting 45 to 50 #s which I.M.O. is plenty. Some end up shooting heavy bows and that's fine but most of us risk quickly developing form issues trying to learn how to shoot with a bow that is too heavy in draw.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Yikes!

Not saying it can't be done, but starting out in archery with a 80 pound bow, or making a 50 pound jump in weight is asking to blow out a shoulder.

Half that bow weight will kill elk.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
I have to agree with the above. When I switched to traditional gear I was a college wrestler and thought I was strong enough to pull a 70lb bow just like the compound I used to have. I was quickly humbled. I worked up from a 50lb bow and stopped at a 60lb recurve. I'm confident I can kill any big game animal with it and I can hold it at draw for a good 10 seconds and still shoot accurately. I personally believe that there is no advantage and only disadvantages to a heavier bow that you can only draw once or twice before getting tired versus a lighter bow that you can shoot many times and hold at full draw while still killing the same size animals
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
It would be well worth your time to visit Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in Arvada to match your arrows, would save you money in the long term. Well maybe not, I think Tom laces his stuff with bow crack cause you will have an overwhelming desire to go back to his shop again and again!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jeff Strubberg:
Yikes!

Not saying it can't be done, but starting out in archery with a 80 pound bow, or making a 50 pound jump in weight is asking to blow out a shoulder.

Half that bow weight will kill elk.
This post says it all. You have a good chance of blowing out a shoulder or damaging tendons and connective tissue starting out with that much weight.Best advice that could be given. Welcome to trad.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
I have to agree with you visiting RMSG as well. Those guys are great and thats an understatement. The fact that a bow was given to you sounds fishy. They will be able to check the bow out and make sure its okay. If it is, you will be able to sell or trade it for another bow that will better fit you and not hurt your body or your form.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:21:00 PM »
Starting out with a bow this heavy can be done, but it will be  a struggle to say the least! Go slowly with just a few arrows daily. You can build up to 75#, but it will take quite a while before you are in control of the bow. Physical conditioning and good form are necessary with any trad equipment but especially so for heavy bows. I agree with the guys who suggest you start out in 40-50# weight range. I love heavy bows as well as anybody but due to injury have had to lay aside my 78# baby. Take your time and build up slowly.Welcome to the trad world.
Sam

Offline Aric_W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 11:52:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion on RMS in Arvada, I had to run to Denver for other business today and snuck in a stop there.  All kinds of cool stuff and good advice as well.  I'm going to have to grow into this bow a bit.. but it will be doable eventually.

thanks again

Aric

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 07:06:00 AM »
I shot 80 pound compounds bows 25 years ago, I now shoot a 47 pound long bow.  My shoulders are now paying for shooting the 80 pound bows.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
I shot 80 pound compounds bows 25 years ago, I now shoot a 47 pound long bow.  My shoulders are now paying for shooting the 80 pound bows.
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »
80 lbs is shootable. But only after years of work to build up to it. Start at 35-45 lbs and then build up 5-10 lbs at a time. If you learn good form on a light bow, and keep that form as you gradually build up, you can eventually shoot such a heavy bow. But as others have said, please don't start with that bow, we don't want to see you ruin your shoulder.

The biggest key to preventing injuries is perfect form. You cannot learn form on a bow that heavy.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©