3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
Asbell
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
I am reading his book "Instinctive Shooting",,and have the video to accompany. I have to report that I don`t quite understand what he is trying to get across. I have not been able to shoot well doing what he describes. Can anyone shed some light>?

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »
For me, I use part of his technique, but if I try to shoot as fast as he does, it doesn't work for me. I do swing draw, but if I am going to hit something, I need to hold at anchor for a couple of seconds. He describes 'push pull', which for me is the way that I will put arrows in the target. If my 'push pull' technique breaks down, I don't shoot worth a hoot.
I don't know if that is why you are having trouble with his method of shooting, but if so, try holding at full draw for a little bit and then pushing with the bow arm and pulling with the string hand, and see if that helps.
As far as his not seeing the arrow and total concentration on the small spot on your target, I am with him. If you are a gap shooter, you might have trouble with his way of shooting. I don't see the arrow when I have total concentration on the target.
We all are different, so trying to use his exact technique might need some tweaking for you.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 02:21:00 PM »
The method works for Fred, but there are several of us who go a different direction.
Lon Scott

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 03:41:00 PM »
What works for some shooters does not work for others. I could never shoot his style because I aim split vision. No harm in trying out a new method but you will find out quickly if it's right or wrong for you.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:
I am reading his book "Instinctive Shooting",,and have the video to accompany. I have to report that I don`t quite understand what he is trying to get across. I have not been able to shoot well doing what he describes. Can anyone shed some light>?
It's all pretty simple......the best way I can describe it (and I'm plagiarizing here) is by swinging that shooting arm up as if to point at what you want to hit, all the while timing your draw/anchor/release to coincide with the speed of your shooting arm. Those speeds can change, but they all need to match.....

There is a lot more that is more about form, but if I shoot like I just wrote above, I do fine.

I know this sounds like a cop out, but the more you think about it, the harder it is.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I am a set arm kind of guy but to each his own.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
I was a much better shot before I read Fred's book and saw his video. I admire the man's story telling and writing ability but I have to stay away from his advise on shooting....maybe it's just me! Now his book on Still Hunting and Stalking   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
I learned early in life to listen to advise whether read or verbal and take what I needed from it. I've read all of Freds' book and found little tidbits of things that helped me thru a bunch of years, because what may work for one may not hold true for everyone else,so just take what you can use.

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Ive read both of Fred's books. I've been shooting for 4 years now and I've taken what works for me of Fred's style and have adapted it into my own. I use the his bow grip, middle finger anchor, bend at the knees, I've developed my own swing and timing. I also gap shoot so I hold a bit longer at anchor, until everything feels right.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 05:51:00 PM »
Read his books but don't use his methods, although it did help my shooting some. More specifically, his books helped me to think about the shot process. Most times now if I have a slump I can realize what the problem is and correct it. Before when in a shooting slump if could last for days and I had no idea of the reasons.
Fred's method is really simple. Basically the bow arm and string hand come up at the same time with your bow hand pointing at the target as you hit your anchor point. Remembering to push the bow toward the target. It is simple but form and consistency are as important as with any style of shooting.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »
Do you shoot a recurve?  In his 2nd book he gets into more of the longbow, which is what I shoot... needless to say, I got more from the 2nd book.  I did enjoy both and like centaur, I used little bits of what he says and tweaked my own style.
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline tarponnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »
It works for me. Seems the most athletic and natural feeling of any style I've used(to me).
However if I cared about target shooting(and hunting) I would  probably use another method..I practice strictly for hunting. It works well for me at hunting distances.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 06:13:00 PM »
Traditional Archery is fun and games and Archers can shoot any way they want. That said I shoot 3d alone usually but do still shoot in club shoots and some larger ones as well. I don't see high scores recorded by anyone using what is commonly known as the Asbell method and 3d is widely recognized as realistic hunting practice.

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:

Originally posted by Scattergun2570:
It's all pretty simple......the best way I can describe it (and I'm plagiarizing here) is by swinging that shooting arm up as if to point at what you want to hit, all the while timing your draw/anchor/release to coincide with the speed of your shooting arm. Those speeds can change, but they all need to match.....

There is a lot more that is more about form, but if I shoot like I just wrote above, I do fine.

I know this sounds like a cop out, but the more you think about it, the harder it is. [/b]
I am only shooting trad,about 2yrs.. My method was using a set draw..and I used the arrow to get the approximate height of what I want to hit,,draw back while keeping that height and release. I have attained pretty darn good results with this method..but only to about 20yds..after that,,I cannot attaing any consistency/accuracy..so I wanted to try the Asbell method.. But I still cannot understand how it can work to a serious degree of accuracy as he claims.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
I have had great luck using his method though I use a slightly different anchor than described in his video. It really works best with snap shooting at least for me anyway. I followed his directions step by step and drastically improved in just a weeks time.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline treehermit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
"Reach for it" made sense to me.  I think of that phrase every time is shoot.

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 11:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by joe skipp:
What works for some shooters does not work for others. I could never shoot his style because I aim split vision. No harm in trying out a new method but you will find out quickly if it's right or wrong for you.
Same here.

I found out long ago that I just didn't have the time it takes to put into it what it takes to successfully shoot G. Fred's style/technique for my purposes.

I instead read Byron Ferguson's book, "Become the Arrow" and applied it to my own style and I took to it much quicker and better.

Do whatever works best for you and go with it and don't worry about what everybody else thinks.   ;)
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline mountain lion

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by ron w:
I was a much better shot before I read Fred's book and saw his video. I admire the man's story telling and writing ability but I have to stay away from his advise on shooting....maybe it's just me! Now his book on Still Hunting and Stalking    :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:  
X2 lol
Wild Horse Creek  kestrel 60" 56#@28
Black Widow KB X 58" 51@28"
Black Widow PSA lll 60" 52@28"

" Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail " Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 03:52:00 AM »
I think that you need a natural flow to your shooting.  Don't force it.  Try everything- keep the parts that work for you.  Asbel promotes his style because he found it works very well for him.  He in a true gentleman and wants to promote successful shooting and hunting.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 05:07:00 AM »
His way helped me
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member