3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 06:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Yes....Asbell's ground hunting book is great.
My favorite!
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Ok.  We are officially neck deep in the weeds now.  Does anyone even remember what this thread was about?

Offline Claymore

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
I have Fred's second and last book. Both are great reads and I learn something new each time I refer back to them. It' a lot for me to get into my head and keep it there.
Don Dow 37@30
HH Cougar 38@30
Hoyt Excel 38@30

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2013, 11:23:00 PM »
Has anyone apologized to a past President of the Pope and Young Club and true elite figure in our sport for dragging his name through the guff in association with this thread.  Seems that Fred Asbell has earned a hallowed place in traditional archery. I notice he did not bother to offer any retort in his own defense.  That probably says something about all of us and even more about him.  
Sorry, Mr. Asbell. You are the standard to which the majority of us will never measure up.  Thank you for a life well lived in behalf of a sport that defines the finest in those that participate in it. No matter the appearance here, we ARE none-the-less indebted to you.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: June 25, 2013, 06:05:00 AM »
Make sure your anchor is rock solid and consistent...  Most styles will work if your fundamentals are correct.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: June 25, 2013, 06:20:00 AM »
Fred is a member/sponsor here.

I do wonder why he never posts on here though.   :dunno:
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: June 25, 2013, 07:33:00 AM »
Fred's books taught me to shoot.  I have been through some TP but it wasn't his teaching it was me ignoring  some of what he said.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: June 25, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
G. Fred Asbells' book and video have a lot to do with shooting well... They helped me when I started this Trad stuff... As you go on you will learn your own style and understand what works and dosen't work for you...

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: June 25, 2013, 08:01:00 AM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

I do wonder why he never posts on here though.    :dunno:  
Because he is probably busy doing important things, like running a business, conducting seminars, writing articles, attending shoots, hunting, and doing things to promote archery.

It always amazes me that his threads get such polarized and hostile comments....I have attended shoots where when you mention his name and you hear accusations that his style ruined someone's shooting...last time I checked we all have inherent free will....if his style does not work, we are free to, and encouraged to try something different...there is no place where he has ever stated his style is the only one....just one that works for him, and he has more dead critters on his wall than many of his detractors combined!

His books are still best sellers, his booth at trad shoots are always crowded, his seminars are popular, and sponsored by Black Widow,so someone must be using and liking his style. He is in the ARCHERY Hall of Fame, and through Compton and the Pope and Young Club, he has done more to promote archery that anyone I can think of.  

I do not use his style exclusively...I tend to read and watch and study all styles, and pick and choose what works for MY STYLE....I do not follow any particular style.....

You asked why Mr. Asbell does not post on forums and threads....in one word....Intelligence!

Lee

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:00 AM »
It seems there are people who delight in trying to tear down those who achieve or who simply have a different way of looking at or doing things. That is the price of putting yourself out in the public eye unfortunately.  I don't shoot Fred's style, but I greatly admire the man. It was my privilege to help Fred and Teresa  a little at the Baltimore shoot this year setting up their booth.  I got there early and had nothing much to do and saw them setting up so I offered a hand in putting up the two pop-up shelters they had and unloading the truck.  Fred did not know me from Adam's off ox but treated me like an old friend.  I took the opportunity to thank him for his enormous contribution to our sport. See I'm an old guy now--been in this thing we now call "traditional" archery since the 50s.  I remember when it was about dead--most of the major manufacturers had switched their attention to compound production and the few that still made recurves let quality slip pretty much.  

Then low and behold, an ad showed up in Bowhunter magazine--a guy was building recurves!  Imagine that--a fellow named Asbell.  The first brochure I got was just a photo copy one typed page with a pencil drawing of the bow!  Cost was $150.  That step and his articles in the magazine where he was hunting (and killing) stuff with his recurve encouraged those of us trying to hang on to what we loved.  He also fanned the flickering flame along with a few others that has now become a glowing camp fire once again around which lots of us gather. I just wanted to thank him for his part in that.

If you don't care for his methods that's fine.  He won't mind, but he will be real civil to you and deserves nothing less in return.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: June 25, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Well, hopefully, 'ol Fred has the same attitude as the Hollywood actress who told the newspaper reporter, "I don't care what you say about me, just be sure you spell my name right!"  I'm sure that if there's anyone on Trad Gang who hasn't already heard about Fred, they have now, and are probably curious enough to want to find out what he has to say!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: June 25, 2013, 10:44:00 AM »
Originally posted by ishoot4thrills:

I do wonder why he never posts on here though.    :dunno:  
He posted yesterday in this thread:

"Michigan Longbow Association Heading West"

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: June 25, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
I have met Fred a couple of times and it's all his fault that I try to shoot instinctive...lol

He and I had a very long conversation about baseball and archery, he convinced me that I could live without sight pins and peep sights.

I've never looked back....lol Some would say that there are times when I shoot it's as if I weren't looking at all..lol

God bless,Mudd

PS: Folks just don't come much better than Fred and Teresa.
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:00 PM »
This is cool stuff about different styles.  When I first began to shoot a stickbow a fella named Jim Vaness taught me to shoot or should I say showed me "his" basics. That name may sound like you have heard if you have read Freds Books. He is the Guy Fred talks about in his arrow making chapter. Small world. After that I became hungry for all things stickbow and shot Jim/Freds way for years.Finally got hold of the John Shulz movie and continued to improve my style from these. fast forward..
  A couple of years ago I tried the Rick Welch style of shooting. My buddy Chris Spikes shoots this way and he is the best shot I`ve seen in real life.Chris has perfect form...is it his perfect form or style that makes him a good shot? After a commitment to this style I could /can shoot really good compared to my past. I do not like the feel of the bow three under and on a straight end bow it makes it feel really harsh to ME. I like to shoot straight end bows a lot.
  I just got a new to me Northern Mist shelton. It is a string follow Hill Style bow. I first shot it at 20 yards three under Welch style and the arrows are grouped like they were shot with sights from a compound but the bow had more handshock than I like.Again at 20 Yards with no practice shots I put the old glove on ...grabbed the string split finger..I do sort of a half swing draw sort of like Terry was talking about with the point maybe a foot below target at 20 yards as I begin my slow swing up and shoot three arrows and the group is as good as those shot three under minus one arrow that deflected when it busted a nock from one in the target.
  Here is a summary from all my jiberish... No matter what style you choose they will work if you perfect them and hold FORM. form is not a style it is holding your style perfectly.My learnings from this mornings shoot out is I can shoot both ways purty doggone good at hunting ranges but love the feel of the bow shot split so I will probably revert back to split finger and a cross of  Fred/Hill/Shulz/Vaness/ME. Almost a sure promise of bloody arrows if I hold FORM. RC

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: June 25, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
I have been at this sport for 45 years or so. I have read Fred Asbell's books and he has contributed greatly to this sport. Do I agree with everything he says, no, no more than I agree with everything anybody writes, but I respect him. Terry hit it on the head, form is form and style is style. I personally use what works for me which is a bit of a lot of different styles but one thing I strive for is consistant form and when I achive it, I am spot on but when I do not I am not. That is what keeps most of us at it, striving to be better.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: June 25, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »
Well stated Danny!

Whatever I do I need to be as consistent as my bow.

The bow is a tool and if shot from a machine it will produce the same results almost flawlessly therefore any errant arrows I can and do cause I need to take the blame for them.

I have made so many mistakes that I have written an imaginary book(inside my head), now instead of telling my friends what I did wrong I simply refer them to chapter,paragraph and line number in the book of mistakes...lol

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline WhiteBeard121

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: June 25, 2013, 07:18:00 PM »
This thread got me to jonsing to read one of his books so I ordered Stalking and Stillhunting. I have enjoyed his articles in mags over the years.

No matter what we think about someone's method or style, even if it's finding out it isn't for you, well, you've learned something. Just my penny's worth..., .

Offline Eric Sprick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: June 25, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by WhiteBeard121:
This thread got me to jonsing to read one of his books so I ordered Stalking and Stillhunting. I have enjoyed his articles in mags over the years.

No matter what we think about someone's method or style, even if it's finding out it isn't for you, well, you've learned something. Just my penny's worth..., .
Just finished the Stalking and Still-Hunting book.  Very good, really enjoyed it.  Get it.  Have appreciated his writing for years

Eric

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: June 26, 2013, 06:47:00 AM »
I first met Fred Asbell and Roger Norris on a hunt in the U.P. with Ron LaClair.  Steve Turay dropped in as well.  Fred, Ron and Steve have all done an immense amount of promotion and training of our current ranks of traditional archers.  All are extremely good shots but each of them shoots differently.  All of them are well versed in shooting techniques and styles.  One of the most enjoyable things about traditional archery is the campfire/woodstove and the conversations that go with it.  Talking with Fred, Ron and Steve around the woodstove is priceless.  It would behoove us to remember we're sitting around a virtual campfire here and keep that spirit of respect and communication in mind.    :campfire:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: June 26, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Lyon:
I first met Fred Asbell and Roger Norris on a hunt in the U.P. with Ron LaClair.  Steve Turay dropped in as well.  Fred, Ron and Steve have all done an immense amount of promotion and training of our current ranks of traditional archers.  All are extremely good shots but each of them shoots differently.  All of them are well versed in shooting techniques and styles.  One of the most enjoyable things about traditional archery is the campfire/woodstove and the conversations that go with it.  Talking with Fred, Ron and Steve around the woodstove is priceless.  It would behoove us to remember we're sitting around a virtual campfire here and keep that spirit of respect and communication in mind.     :thumbsup:

G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©