3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Scattergun2570:

Originally posted by Roger Norris:

I am reading his book "Instinctive Shooting",,and have the video to accompany. I have to report that I don`t quite understand what he is trying to get across. I have not been able to shoot well doing what he describes. Can anyone shed some light>?
It's all pretty simple......the best way I can describe it (and I'm plagiarizing here) is by swinging that shooting arm up as if to point at what you want to hit, all the while timing your draw/anchor/release to coincide with the speed of your shooting arm. Those speeds can change, but they all need to match.....

There is a lot more that is more about form, but if I shoot like I just wrote above, I do fine.

I know this sounds like a cop out, but the more you think about it, the harder it is. [/b]
I am only shooting trad,about 2yrs.. My method was using a set draw..and I used the arrow to get the approximate height of what I want to hit,,draw back while keeping that height and release. I have attained pretty darn good results with this method..but only to about 20yds..after that,,I cannot attaing any consistency/accuracy..so I wanted to try the Asbell method.. But I still cannot understand how it can work to a serious degree of accuracy as he claims. [/b][/QUOTE

It works as he "claims" (when you say it like that, it makes it sound like he isn't telling the truth).

If you have been shooting 2 years and cannot attain any accuracy, you should probably seek out a good coach or clinic. Pick a method that works for you, and stick with it. I completely understand and respect folks who want to use another method, but am forever amazed at the groups who claim that instinctive doesn't work. It obviously does.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 09:09:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
I think that you need a natural flow to your shooting.  Don't force it.  Try everything- keep the parts that work for you.  Asbel promotes his style because he found it works very well for him.  He in a true gentleman and wants to promote successful shooting and hunting.
"Natural flow".......absolutely.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 09:27:00 AM »
When you look at all the greats from our past & present they all shoot their equipment in very very very different ways.

However they ALL have one very important thing in common. The split second before the string cuts loose from their release hand, they are in perfect alignment. (Bow arm, arrow, string arm, shoulders) they are all in parallel with eachother pointing down range to their target.

Much like golf, all the pros have drastically different swings, but one thing remains the same between all if them. The club face is square as it contacts the ball. It doesn't matter how the load the energy into the club, or their back stroke, or their individual follow through method... But that club face is square as it contacts the ball.

I've studied all the greats, and have adapted small bits of styles to my body biology for what works for ME. However I strive to do one thing like all the greats... Make sure at the moment I cut that arrow loose, my aligment is as close to perfect as it can be. It truly doesn't matter how you get there.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 09:37:00 AM »
If it feels unnatural w/ counter prodoctive results.It's not very instinctive!

Try several styles of shooting till you find one that's natural to you.It maybe a combination of shooting techniques to get what feels the most natural to you.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
You might want to check out some videos of Rod Jenkins if you're looking to achieve the best accuracy...

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
I've read and watched video on Mr. Asbell's style as well as Mr. Jenkins, Mr. Ferguson and Mr. Welch (sp?.) I gleaned something from each of them and incorporated what works for me into my shooting.
I started shooting trad in the early '80s without any real idea what I was doing and failed miserably.  I gave up and went back to the wheel bow. Picked up a copy of Asbell's first book and a lighter draw weight recurve and began to get the feel of what I was supposed to be doing. Began to research other styles and found something helpful in each and everyone.
As with any physical/athletic endeavor, proper form is the key element. Practicing that form until it becomes comfortable and natural is what makes you get better.
I tried "spit vision" and it didn't work for me, but it works great for others. I don't care for the feel of shooting 3 under, but I know it works extremely well. One of the very best shooters in the world told me to get rid on my bow quiver if I wanted to shoot up to my full potential. Shot without a quiver for 9 months and never shot as well as I did with a quiver on my bow.
Sorry to ramble, but I hope you see my point. Shoot the style that is most natural to you. It may be one of the styles of the above mention shooters, or it may be a combination of some or all of them. Or it may be a style entirely all your own.
Some of the posts trouble me a bit as they come across that reading someones book or watching their video ruined their shooting. If a person chooses to try another persons style and it doesn't work for them, so be it. BUT there is no one to blame. It didn't work, so move on.
Now...let's go shoot some arrows!!!!!
Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:00 AM »

I am reading his book "Instinctive Shooting",,and have the video to accompany. I have to report that I don`t quite understand what he is trying to get across. I have not been able to shoot well doing what he describes. Can anyone shed some light>? [/b]
It's all pretty simple......the best way I can describe it (and I'm plagiarizing here) is by swinging that shooting arm up as if to point at what you want to hit, all the while timing your draw/anchor/release to coincide with the speed of your shooting arm. Those speeds can change, but they all need to match.....

There is a lot more that is more about form, but if I shoot like I just wrote above, I do fine.

I know this sounds like a cop out, but the more you think about it, the harder it is. [/b]
I am only shooting trad,about 2yrs.. My method was using a set draw..and I used the arrow to get the approximate height of what I want to hit,,draw back while keeping that height and release. I have attained pretty darn good results with this method..but only to about 20yds..after that,,I cannot attaing any consistency/accuracy..so I wanted to try the Asbell method.. But I still cannot understand how it can work to a serious degree of accuracy as he claims. [/b][/QUOTE

It works as he "claims" (when you say it like that, it makes it sound like he isn't telling the truth).

If you have been shooting 2 years and cannot attain any accuracy, you should probably seek out a good coach or clinic. Pick a method that works for you, and stick with it. I completely understand and respect folks who want to use another method, but am forever amazed at the groups who claim that instinctive doesn't work. It obviously does.
Where did I say he isn`t telling the truth? I said "I" cannot understand it...I did not say it`s not possible.

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2013, 04:30:00 AM »
I live in Europe and I had no choice but to buy the DVD factor accuracy of Rick Wellch. I'm raising my technique and accuracy by 60%
Rick all the explanations were clear and all I have adopted. I'm sorry I do not live in the U.S., I would go for two days with him, it's the best way.
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 04:31:00 AM »
I live in Europe and I had no choice but to buy the DVD factor accuracy of Rick Wellch. I'm raising my technique and accuracy by 60%
Rick all the explanations were clear and all I have adopted. I'm sorry I do not live in the U.S., I would go for two days with him, it's the best way.
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline PERUN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 04:32:00 AM »
I live in Europe and I had no choice but to buy the DVD factor accuracy of Rick Welch. I'm raising my technique and accuracy by 60%
Perun hybrid 62" 60#@29"

Offline manitou1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2013, 04:54:00 AM »
I would recommend Rod Jenkins... or better yet, Rick Welches "The Accuracy Factor".
The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first.
--Thomas Jefferson--

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I never understand why when someone asks about Fred Asbells method, all the Rod Jenkins and Rick Welch guys hijack and say...."no.....try our way...."

If you don't shoot the GFA style, you really should hold your comments for a Jenkins thread.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Fred's shoots a STYLE....form is form...and most don't even know what good form is.  Rod Jenkins shoots with the same form...just a different style.

Don't think Fred's style works?....take a look at Howard Hill.

We are all different, and one size don't fit all. You have to find out what style is best for YOU....and NOT listen to all those BROAD BRUSH statements that one way is the highway.  Most of those folks never kill anything anyway.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
Oh, I liked what someone deleted. "I also can't understand why a bowyer would alienate customers over dissing a shooting style.  Just like he did a while back over feather choices".  That's pretty close to what I read, and I agree.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Fred's shoots a STYLE....form is form...and most don't even know what good form is.  Rod Jenkins shoots with the same form...just a different style.

Don't think Fred's style works?....take a look at Howard Hill.

We are all different, and one size don't fit all. You have to find out what style is best for YOU....and NOT listen to all those BROAD BRUSH statements that one way is the highway.  Most of those folks never kill anything anyway.
Wise words.

G. Fred Asbell

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2013, 04:36:00 PM »
Well Roger thanks....I'm sorry if it seemed a little harsh....but is get so old when folks argue over style vs form.  Good form is good form....and style is style...and way too often the two get miss construed.

Folks can go to the archives and look at HH's style (similar to Asbell)....then come back and argue Howard's style....only AFTER you proved you killed more critters than he did.    :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Isn't G. Fred Asbell in the P&Y Hall of Fame (2010 I think)?  Seems something must have been working right.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
I personally could not get the hang of Freds style, or Hills, or Schulz. But I was never good at basketball or baseball either, and that's a fact. I honestly WISH I could pull off those smooth, fluid shots, but since I couldn't I adopted more along the Ferguson/welch method.

Now I can poke foam, fir, rollers and flyers all day, I would still like to be able to do it with more fluidity ( I might have made that word up)
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »
I never understand why when someone asks about Fred Asbells method, all the Rod Jenkins and Rick Welch guys hijack and say...."no.....try our way...."

If you don't shoot the GFA style, you really should hold your comments for a Jenkins thread.
Absolutely correct Roger!  Same thing happens on threads where someone asks about one or two SPECIFIC bows and a bunch of folks jump in with "you really ought to try this make or that make."  They didn't ask about those so why interject them into the conversation?  Seems so many folks want to become the PR agent for their current favorite bowyer.  :banghead:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brianlocal3:
I personally could not get the hang of Freds style, or Hills, or Schulz.
No worries...I have a friend Jason Westbrock that shoots totally different than me....form no...style yes...and even different aiming styles....but it works for him...he's killed a lot of critters.

That's what I mean by not accepting the broad brush strokes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©