3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Asbell  (Read 2395 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Asbell
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Try the prepoint method....if that doesn't work out....maybe u should try another style.

There's a lot of info on the shooters forum......check out the form clock thread and do a search for the double anchor......   :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Instinctive II is a better book.  You gotta take what works for you and sometimes throw some of it out.  Everyone is different.  too many bash Fred thinking he was trying to force his ways on you, he's just saying "this is what works for me" more or less.  he makes valid points about a few things.  a good bit of his core principles work.  i personally would describe my shooting as closest to his idea, not at all exact, i like most others study all the tips to see what i can incorporate, its my own, but it's in the same spirit id say...pick a spot
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
I have not read either of his books, but read and reread all of his magazine articles in Traditional Bowhunter. I admit I am willing to try anything someone who knows as much as Fred or Terry Green, Ron LaClair,Byron Ferguson or others would suggest, but I also know what works for me.  If what ever I try for some reason improves my shooting I incorporate it into my style of shooting. If it doesn't change anything or I shoot worse I don't disregard the information but I just don't continue to try and use that technique. I've been shooting and hunting with traditional bows for seven and a half years. I think the main thing to get from books or this thread even is listen to good advice even try it a time or two but if it doesn't work out don't sweat it there is definately more than one way to do this.
James Kerr

Offline will_hunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
Seems this has gone from being about Fred to being about every one else being right about something or another.  Suffice it to say that Fred Asbell can shoot his way AND HE CAN SHOOT YOUR WAY.
 In the first book he implies as much. In the last book he states emphatically, over and over, that "push/pull" is imperative to TRUE traditional shooting.  
 The truth is simple--if you are ever in a situation that only drawing on target, with a stiff arm, is the only way you can pull off the shot; or if the situation arises that push/pull is all you have; or if you find yourself just naturally swinging your arm into position as you draw fluidly, then you are in a zone where "mind over matter" put meat in the freezer. THAT is Fred Asbell's legacy.
 I have only been shooting traditional archery since 1990. I do not know much about it. I do know this, there is a big difference in being able to play a guitar and being to play a song on a guitar.  Same applies with traditional archery. Asbell is a Clapton, a Stevie Ray,a B.B. King, etc.  If there is an issue, it is not with the player, it is that his music does not appeal to you.

Offline Bowitis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2013, 12:31:00 AM »
Well said Will, Now I can understand that.
JD Berry Taipan
2 Heartland Surge

Offline duncan idaho

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
Asbell, Ferguson, LaClair, etc...have been good enough with their shooting methods, to Finance a living from traditional archery, something that has obviously eluded me....I pay attention to professionals who know what they are doing and making a living from it...
" If wishes were fishes, we would all cast nets".

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »
Yeah...its a shame Roger....trying to help folks learn to shoot better by what ever means and get attacked and belittled like that.....I don't know what gets into folks.

No worries, he sure didn't contribute anything positive to help this guy learn to shoot better.

Thanks for having my back....I pulled both his and your reply just to get the thread back on a positive note.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Skates

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2013, 01:40:00 PM »
I'm absolutely SHOCKED and STUNNED that Fred Anderson would come on this site and act like that.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2013, 03:06:00 PM »
Asbell went to Schulz back in the day to have some shooting advise, and you can see the Hill/Schulz influence in his shooting style.....fluid, well-timed swing and release.  Does Asbell's shooting style look exactly like Hill...well, no.  but the form is the same.  and if you watch old videos of Hill, Schulz and compare with Asbell,  you will notice that all those guys could adapt their style to the shot at hand. slow swing, fast swing, big and small, no hold, little hold,  whatever was needed.

the instinctive shooting principles that Fred talks about are similar to the conditioned instinct shooting that Schulz talks about.  Fred just goes into greater detail about how to do it. Some people understand it and utilize the shooting method better than others. However you dice it up,  the system Fred talks about is basically how stickbow hunting shooters have shot for thousands of years, from the Mongol tribes to the Turks, to the Englishmen, to the Indians and the Yumi....it works well now as it did then.   :)

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Try the prepoint method....if that doesn't work out....maybe u should try another style.

There's a lot of info on the shooters forum......check out the form clock thread and do a search for the double anchor......    :campfire:  
I went to pre-point and that has helped me a lot the past few years.  I am trying to work that into a swing up to pre-point this year.
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:00 PM »
Yeah...its a shame Roger....trying to help folks learn to shoot better by what ever means and get attacked and belittled like that.....I don't know what gets into folks.

No worries, he sure didn't contribute anything positive to help this guy learn to shoot better.

Thanks for having my back....I pulled both his and your reply just to get the thread back on a positive note.
I obviously missed something.. I don`t know who Fred Anderson is,or what he said regarding my thread. In any case,, The whole reason I bought Asbells book was that I wanted to get away from using the arrow to aim at what I want to hit. I want to know how to do it without relying on using the arrow.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2013, 09:14:00 PM »
Scattergun.....

Email me your address

[email protected]

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
Scattergun....have you had help getting your bow tuned and arrows matched?
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
Interesting thread....Terry, could you go into the whole "pre point" thing a little more? It sounds like you're describing something I've been playing with...

I have timing issues too....sometimes I just shoot low and thought I was dropping my bow arm on the release...but I really think it has more to do with timing...

Hopefully this will also help Scattergun...

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by Roger Norris:
sent

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Scattergun.....

Email me your address

[email protected]
sent

Offline Scattergun2570

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Someone here used Stus calc to get me close.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2013, 02:35:00 PM »
Stus calculator  works for sure. Good.

One thing that I tell newer guys...and understand I LOVE cedar arrows....shoot aluminum's that are matched to your bow for awhile. You are working on your form....until you have it down, plugging in a variable like a wood arrow can really mess with you.

I have known guys who thought they were bad shots, until they ditched the woodies and tried some aluminum or carbon.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Mike Mecredy

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2013, 03:00:00 PM »
I can shed some light;  shoot like yourself, do what's comfortable, and get good at it.  No two shoulder joints are the same, no two hands are the same, no two anchor points are the same. Don't try to shoot like him, or me or any one else.
TGMM Family of the bow
USAF, Retired
A.C.B.C.S.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Stus calculator  works for sure. Good.

One thing that I tell newer guys...and understand I LOVE cedar arrows....shoot aluminum's that are matched to your bow for awhile. You are working on your form....until you have it down, plugging in a variable like a wood arrow can really mess with you.

I have known guys who thought they were bad shots, until they ditched the woodies and tried some aluminum or carbon.
"Any bow good bow, good arrow heap much work"
I agree Roger. I can't outshoot good wood arrows.  However as far as tuning, Easton Axis carbons seem to get me the most universal good flight.  If I've dialed in my wood arrows (which with 45 years of traditional experience is much easier to get to quickly), I can shoot the same. But as you say, newcomers are probably better served with a synthetic arrow (and I say carbon) when starting out.  They're more durable, not subject to straightening needs, ect. and the newcomer is better off focusing on shooting form instead of maintaining arrows.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©