3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Kodiak hunter  (Read 352 times)

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Kodiak hunter
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
a friend of ours that I did some work for him, fletched about 70 arrows in 2117 alum, took off the old plastic fletch and cleaned up the shaft, rep[laced nocks, tips, inserts and then fletched with new 4 inch plastic fletch, asked to pay me for my effort. I told him I had the fletch and did the work during the winter period so no charge.

He said he knew I liked shooting tradition bows and would I like a bow that he was given one xmas, that he had never even put a string on.

He said it was in a box from bear archery. He went to his car and got it out, my god it was and looked like it had just been taken from the bear factory. it is a Bear Kodiak hunter RH 60 inch long serial number KT88118 45x pounds. I put a new string I had in stock on the bow and the brace height is at 8 Inches. Can anyone tell me what year it was made from the serial number and is the brace height of 8 inches ok ????

I have shot it maybe 40 arrows out of it at 10 yards and it sure put them into the target, I made the nock point high 1/4 for 3 fingers under draw. I am shooting Bemen carbon at 29 1/2 inch and spine to 45 to 60 lbs, I put 5.5 feather banana fletch on them (3) fletch) 2 hot pink and 1 blue.

My thanks in advance for any help and suggestions.

I have put up my Martin hunter and my Checkmate as I work on this honey I named this bow (runaround sue )for those that are old fart like me and can name the tunes from the  50/60's....
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Kodiak hunter
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
Great bows!  

Post a pic and folks can help you out more.  Is the riser green future wood or natural wood?
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
I have 2 kodiak hunters and have the brace height at about 8 1/4 to 8 1/2".  My guess it is an early 1970's model if it has the natural wood riser.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Good deal, enjoy.......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:04:00 PM »
As most folks will tel you, ya' can't tell much if anything about a Bear by its serial number. Pic of the riser and tips would be helpful.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
The bow was probably made between 1970 and 1977, based on the information you've provided so far.

You might think about moving the nock point up a tad from that 1/4 inch. I shoot three under, and I recently raised the nock point on a 1958 Kodiak I just bought from 3/8 to 7/16 inch above. It seemed to improve things a tad, but YMMV.

I'm still working out the brace height. I know that 8 inches or thereabouts is often recommended as a starting point. I'm currently at 7 1/4 with pretty good results, but my mind is twisted by prior longbow use.      ;)

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 01:46:00 AM »
There is a pretty good thread on Kodiak Hunter identification here on this site.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=14;t=003744;p=0

Offline LeeNY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
Bill, I  know you've got to many bows! You should give it a good home (mine)!!!!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  Good luck on your new find!

Lee

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 04:33:00 AM »
your right Lee I got 7 recurve and 1 long bow and also the compounds I have is also runs about 8 of them. you never can not have too many bows...it like a sickness. I just wish I could shoot as well as you do ...

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Good trade Bill!

like others have said, it's probably a 70's bow.

Enjoy!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 04:58:00 PM »
thanks for all the info and keep shooting and hoped you all get a great big buck this year...

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »
Lucky you Bill, enjoy.......   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©