3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is too heavy- continued arrow quandry  (Read 211 times)

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
What is too heavy- continued arrow quandry
« on: June 09, 2013, 12:15:00 AM »
Getting back into traditional and sorting through changes. First off, I would have never thought carbon arrows would be so common in traditional.
I am trying to decide on arrows.  Aluminums for my 47# recurve bow will go about 425 grains.  I ws looking at Forgewoods and see they go about 600 grains.  What do you think is too heavy for this poundage?  How durable are carbons, particularly the GoldTips?  Anyone shoot the Full Metal Jackets?  The .500 spine might be a bit heavy on spine for my rig, but I really like the small diameter.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is too heavy- continued arrow quandry
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 12:27:00 AM »
Wheels,weight is pretty subjective but a lot of people like about 10 grs of arrow weight per lb of bow pull weight.You could use that as a starting point,about 470 grs give or take.

Aluminums,like about any shaft can be any weight you want it depending on the shaft and head weight you choose.

I have been using Gold Tips for several years and "footed",they are extremely durable.I have yet to break one and I have treated them badly.

You can use a .500 spine arrow if you choose an appropriately heavy point.If you are dead set on one exact point weight,things get a little more complicated.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:56:00 AM »
I think you could go anywhere from 9 to about 12 grains per pound and be okay.I think thier could be advantages to the lighter arrow and advantages to the heavier arrow as well.

10-11 grains per pound is probably a happy medium for most traditional archers.

A well made carbon arrow is very durable.Gold tips are very good arrows.I shoot CX Heritage 250s and 150s and find them very durable and long lasting.They have good mass weight as well.Mine run from about 500-600 grains and I shoot from 45-50#s at 30 inches draw.Arrows are from 30.5 t0 31.5 inches long.

I do have sime FMJ 500s that I need to make finished arrows from that I have not got around to yet.I have standard aluminum inserts for thise and also some 100 grain brass inserts.

I use Aluminum inserts and also 50 and 100 grain brass inserts for my CX heritage 150s and 250s.I use the 50 grain and 100 grain inserts for the 250s mostly and that makes for a very hard hitting hunting arrow.I use the 150s mostly when i want a flatter shooting arrow.

I think tyou could get those FMJ flying very well for you with the right length and point weight.Thats a very good arrow as well!

The forgewoods would be pretty nice I am sure for you.600 grains is pretty heavy but very doable.especially if you are shooting at shorter ranges.Thier are other options available for you in a more medium wieght shaft if you wanna shoot woodies like douglas fir and others that would get you around 9-11 grains per pound no problem.

Its nice to have a few different types of arrows to shoot out of your bows as far as material choice and grain weight to play around with and experiment with and see what you think.I have some that are lighter for shooting flatter and others that are heavier that I enjoy as well and some bows behave better with thse heavier arrows.

Heavier arrows tend to make for a quieter shooting bow and a pleasant shooting bow and penetrate game well and can be tougher.They may reduce some felt handshock or vibration in the bow.They may be easier on the bow as well in the longrun.

Lighter arrows are good for 3-D,distance shooting,flat trajectory and are still adequate for most big game animals like deer etc.whether you shoot a heavier arrow or lighter its gonna be most important that the arrow recovers quickly from paradox and does not porpoise of fishtail fro best results in hunting or 3-D etc.

It can be more expensive to have multiple sets of arrows ofcourse.But I think it would be worth it in the long run to have some nice woodies,carbons,FMJ and aluminums are still great arrows and not so hard on the pocketbook.

If I was to get one set of arrows it would probably be a good set of carbons due to thier durabilty and how long they will last you and then play with some other types of arrows as you go ahead.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 09:06:00 AM »
For my set ups, I tend to go as heavy and as much FOC as I can get into my arrow design as possible without effecting my accuracy.

For me and my shooting style, 14.5 grains per pound of bow seems to be my max threshold before I can't handle the trajectory loss at about 25 to 30 yards.

Typically speaking, my setups are on the high end of arrow weight. 95% of bow and arrow setups fall between 9-12 grains per pound of bow.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 09:41:00 AM »
I shoot a Axis FMJ 500 out of a 50#@27 longbow,it has a 50 gr. HIT brass insert and 125 gr. point and it weighs right around 470 grs.Might work pretty good for you and your bow.Just tune them to your bow.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
I like 9 grains per pound and normally no more than 11 grains per pound. I like a reasonably flat trajectory out to twenty yards. You may want to consider a 600 spine.

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
The bow maker recomends a 1916 with  100 grain head but I would like to go 2016 with a 125 or 145 head. I would like to shoot woods but for now, I will try the aluminums.
I saw the Forgewood web site and thought that he was in business.  So much for compressed wood shafts......
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF

Online Chuck Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:20:00 AM »
I shoot 650 grains from a fast 45#@28" longbow. I don't take shots past 20 yards, so the weight really doesn't affect my shooting at that short range. The bow is dead quiet, and the penetration is comparable to my 60# setup. If anything; the heavy, weight forward arrow is more forgiving at close hunting range, than a lighter arrow.

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wheels2:
The bow maker recomends a 1916 with  100 grain head but I would like to go 2016 with a 125 or 145 head. I would like to shoot woods but for now, I will try the aluminums.
I saw the Forgewood web site and thought that he was in business.  So much for compressed wood shafts......
If you are shooting 47# at your draw length, then the 1916's would probably serve you better. I think you will have to go higher in point weight than 145gr to make a 2016 tune correctly but you will have to play with them to make sure.

Bisch

Online Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »
Got the limb straightened, new string, and arrow shafts in both 1916 and 2016.  Fletching as I type this.  Between the two arrows and three tip weights, I will find one combination that works well for me.  Hope to actually get to shoot this afternoon.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »
Where can you get Forgewoods from ?

I use Gold Tips and like most of the carbon arrows, they are very rugged, I use 1535's and 3555's.

Wood is real nice, and when I retire I'll probably have the time to devote to them, they are no place next to as rugged as a carbon, ( I know I'm goona get hate mail for that ).
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©