3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody hunt out of a kayak?  (Read 678 times)

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody hunt out of a kayak?
« on: June 09, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
I'm thinking my two man Jackson Big Tuna needs to become the silent stalker!  Anybody else do this?  My boat can support plenty enough weight, I think 650lbs or something, and would be really easy to creep hogs.  
I need to make a trial run of stumping to see what it's like shooting while sitting in a kayak though.  
If anybody else has experience with this please chime in.  

Brent

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody hunt out of a kayak?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »
I haven't but I saw some guys bowfishing out of a kayak on youtube. Seemed to work.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »
You might check RC's threads.  He has hunted from a kayak and has posted quite a bit on it.  Gets plenty of responses from other users.

I personally prefer a canoe, it's more stable, I'm used to it, and it will handle plenty of weight/gear.  I'm also kneeling instead of sitting.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 12:18:00 PM »
With all due respect it is my experience that a kayak, either sit in or sit on top is considerably more stable than a canoe.

Offline highplains55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »
i have hard kayaks as well as inflatable kayaks both are stable and the inflatable is easy for entry and exit ,i sold all my canoes.

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:44:00 PM »
a nice sit on top or a canoe will both do the job....kayak might be more maneuverable and stable (SOT).....but canoe will have more cargo capacity if you get the big one for the paddle home.  Still water not much to worry about but add a falling tide or some heavy current or shoals and I would not recommend paddling a SOT or any kayak near capacity.

I am going to pick up a good wilderness systems or jackson fishing/hunting kayak but still prefer my Bell Northwinds for 75% of my excursions due to the ability to carry gear and game if needed better.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »
I hunt out of a cheap canoe. It will carry up to 800lbs. I think I paid $200 for it new and it's a good sturdy kick around canoe.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 01:30:00 PM »
I just purchased a native ultimate 14.5 kayak that is a cross between a kayak and canoe. Tracks much better than my 12 ft aluminium canoe. Don't plan to shoot out of it just transportation.

Offline Yohon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
One of my favorite photo's of a good friends bow kill from a few years ago. This guy uses them alot with great success. He said he actually paddled by this buck and got in his stand and shot him with his Jerry Hill an hour or so later from 7 yards or some such cool distance. He tells me storys all the time about paddling by deer as they watch him go buy. Ive hunted with him a few times out of them and the quiet approach makes for a cool hunt.

"Take the time to take your time and enjoy the trip." Mike Bolin

Offline dougedwards

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Illegal in Va to hunt anything while floating on the water other than migratory birds and fish.

The strange thing is that it is legal to shoot a deer who is swimming in the water while the shooter is on land. Illegal to do in most states I believe

Doug
But you brethren are not of the flesh but of the Spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ lives within you. Romans 8

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 02:12:00 PM »
I currently have a sot kayak that I use for fishing and just paddling. If I were to get a boat strictly for hunting it would be a canoe. Both have their pros and cons.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline Centex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 02:37:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jim Wright:
With all due respect it is my experience that a kayak, either sit in or sit on top is considerably more stable than a canoe.
This always get said in defense of kayaks, but I would rather put a deer inside of a canoe than strap one to a kayak.  Muddy banks make for nasty kayaks.  I thinks it is a personal preference based on the hunt and body of water.
Howard Hill Halfbreed "Sol" 68" 50@29
Hoyt Buffalo 62" 45@28"

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I have a 17' Folbot folding kayak. It is one of the older ones with the hypalon Hull. Has a large open cockpit. Floated out a few moose with it.
Chuck

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 04:17:00 PM »
yeah many times I think the deer are used to seeing fishermen and pleasure boaters and pay no attention to the canoeist or others that hunt and use it for transportation....actually I think the closer to high traffic areas the less they pay attention...but back in the wilderness or far reaches of a tidal river they bust out of there if they see you especially if very close.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
The Kayak is easier for me to load/unload so I use it the most.  I do way more turkey hunting from it than deer.  My canoe is aluminum which is harder to keep quiet during pre dawn landings.  Although its had alot of use over the years.  Bought the kayak 3 years ago used, and its green.
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline BaldingEagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »
Yohon,
What kind of boat is your friend in?  It looks a lot like a canoe.  Is it a SOT kayak?  If so, what make and model is it?
Thanks,
BaldingEagle
"It is the difficulties of archery that make it so interesting to true archers."
Archery-Badminton Library

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2013, 05:47:00 PM »
That's a great picture Yohon. Both kayak and canoe are a great way to hunt. It adds an extra adventure to each hunt.
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I have had both canoes and kayaks.   Both have their advantages and disadvantages, although I wouldn't want to make a generalization about either type of watercraft.  A while back I sold my kayak and bought a solo canoe(15'& 48#'s). Like a lot of things it comes down to personal preference, but here is why I like the canoe over the kayak:  my canoe is lighter that a similar sized kayak making it easier to carry/transport, it is easier to load gear into and out of, it can carry more gear than my kayak could, it has more seating positions which make for a more comfortable paddle, being older I found that the canoe was easier to get into and out of,  my canoe probably isn't as stable as the kayak-but it is well designed and I have no trouble with it being 'tippy' and fish out of it on a regular basis with no problem.   Lastly, my 70# Lab will not fit as well in a kayak, and she almost always goes with me.   If I was going to pick another boat other than a canoe, and hunting, camping, and fishing were what I planned to use it for I would probably look hard at the Native Watercraft 14 1/2' Ultimate.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
If you are counting on shooting from the boat, a kayak is very close to the water and you will need to cant your bow a lot, whereas you can get by with far less in a canoe.  I think it is easier to shoot from a canoe.  Trade offs all.  A canoe will likely carry more. A kayak is sneakier.

ChuckC

Offline bgremill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the posts so far.  I'm assuming that I will not shoot while seated but rather off of my knees if I had to.  The main approach to my thinking is that I would use the kayak to access areas that I would not have an opportunity to get to by any other means.  The actual hunting would consist of spot and stalk once the pigs are spotted.  I appreciate the ideas some of ya'll are presenting using a canoe;but, I can tell ya, that ain't happening.  I  got the wife to buy into the two man kayak thing because I can take my daughter in it, a canoe is totally out of the question.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©