3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All Osage laminated longbow  (Read 749 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
All Osage laminated longbow
« on: August 30, 2007, 04:02:00 PM »
Anyone own an all Osage bow one piece deflex/reflex? I was wanting opinions on the wood itself compared to others and if an all Osage bow would be good. I know it is tough as nails but was wandering about everything else. Thanks Flint

Offline Brad_Gentry

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All Osage laminated longbow
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
Flint,
I've got one that Chuck made that's all osage. It's 62", deflex/reflex, and 58# @ 26. I draw close to 29" with a longbow, so it's probably around 67# at my draw. It's got a kind of mild locator grip, narrow and deep like a hill grip. I really like the way it shoots. Very smooth and comfortable. It's a gorgeous dark orange color, with the limb tips slightly darker. I'll bring it with to the squirrel hunt if you want to check it out.
“We abuse land because we regard it as a commodity belonging to us. When we see land as a community to which we belong, we may begin to use it with love and respect.”
– Aldo Leopold

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 04:27:00 PM »
I have one made by John Scifres called "OBO" (osage backed osage). Nice bow. Although it's a straight end bow and not rf/df, don't know why you couldn't make one that way.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 04:32:00 PM »
Brad, won't be at the squirrel hunt. Hello Mickey, I got those river cane shafts Tuesday from Mike. Now where do I start,big end little end or what? Flint

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 04:52:00 PM »
Flint..good deal. Are they full length or cut? If full length look over the shafts and select the best "arrow" section in the shaft, think about nocks and tip ends, where you want your nodes to be. Cut to length remembering you'll need some length for your self nock and some for your tang, V notch or taper for your tip.Doesn't matter which end you start at for straightening, in the end it should all be straight. Have you ever straightened aluminum shafts? Same deal. Sight down the shaft, see where it needs straightening, heat that section and straighten, then set aside and do the next one, etc. After you've run through them once, pick another bend and straighten it.

I suggest you take 1 shaft and make it a "test shaft". Practice on it, seeing how much heat it takes to get soft, how much pressure it takes to bend, and then when you think you have a feel for it, straighten the rest. Also use that shaft for practice plugging the ends, practice cutting your self nock, practice fletching etc. Better to practice on 1 and get 11 good ones than mess up 3 or 4 learning.

Also a tip..DO NOT reduce nodes ANY until you are satisfied with the straightness of your shafts.

Need any other questions answered post here or email me.

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/rivercanearrows.msnw  

http://groups.msn.com/ferretsarcherywebpage/pluggingcane.msnw

(click on thumbnails to enlarge and read text)
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 07:56:00 PM »
I have an all osage glass longbow a good friend made for me, it is one of my favorite glass bows. I love osage!!!  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Let us see a picture Dano! ! also love the osage and would love to see one in all osage w/glass.

Seems like I saw one called Sunbear a while back it was sweet!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I made one by ripping a lam off an osage board, then reversing it and gluing back on in an r/d form. Didn't hold up too long, but that could be my workmanship! I've made a lot of osage board bows with hickory backing, with mixed results. Osage with bamboo is almost bulletproof, and takes really well to fairly radical r/d forming.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 11:31:00 AM »
Here are a few pictures, the bow is 62" 55# @ 28. Made by Ed Garrison in Vandalia Illinois.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Gil

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 01:16:00 PM »
Dano, nice bow.Do yuou have that sundial in your yard?

Gil
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.Right next to the mashed potatoes.

One can pay back the loan of gold, but one dies forever in debt to those who are kind."

COMPTON TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 01:20:00 PM »
Thanks Dano,,, Nice Bow!!
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 01:32:00 PM »
Dano, nice looking bow. Seems like I have heard the name Ed Garrison before don't recall where though. Of course Dano you know Chuck Jones from just West of Vandalia that makes Osage Royal Bows right. He currently builds the kids bows Black Rhino. He makes all osage r/d on request and they are mighty fine, got one right now I am tinkering with that he had built new and had not sold. Shoots hard and fast for such a mild d/r bow. Flint

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
Yep Flint, I know Chuck, he makes a mighty fine bow too.

Yeah Gil, that sundial is accurate enough for an old retired guy.  ;)

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 03:02:00 PM »
Very Nice! I guess I am Getting to Be a "Sentimental Old Grinch" in My Old Age!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©