3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: little brother wanting to hunt  (Read 169 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
little brother wanting to hunt
« on: June 09, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
My 8 yr old brother wants to deer hunt this year. He is a very good shot. Sometimes better than us grownups. Problem is he has a moehegen bow my Dad bought him from 3 Rivers 2 Christmas's ago and pulls 20 at 24". Dad wants get him a wheelie but I think different. If you guys can give me some suggestions on what wood be a good longbow or recuvre that he could move up to that would grow with him a while longer and what weight she he move up to so he can hunt with that will not over bow him. Oh yeah at 3d shoots he shoots from stakes now. He says his stakes to easy. Thanks for being long winded. Any suggestions would be great.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: little brother wanting to hunt
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Don't know if you are interested but I have a handful of older Bear fiberglass bows of different weights . He can have his pick as long as he passes it along to someone else when he outgrows it .  How tall is he ? Keep him interested for sure , any interest let me know ,  Fred
Greyfox54

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
Very cool, Fred!   :clapper:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:01:00 PM »
Black Rhino Bows has a pretty generous trade in program that will help move him up in bow length and weight as he grows.  The Samik Polaris line is much like his Mohegan and you can work his way up in limbs.  

Most states that have a minimum poundage are 35 or 40 lbs and I would consider that an absolute minimum, esp with a short draw.  I teach 4H archery and none of our 8-10 year olds come close to being able to handle that weight.  In reality, it isn't likely that he will be able to handle a stickbow that is up to the task of effectively killing a deer.  I was 15 before I could handle a 40 lb bow.

Maybe start him on small game.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline inthere10x

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Couple of sponsors offer "trade in as you grow". I know Black Rhino Bows offers the programs, my son owed a couple and liked them.
I was just looking into Stalker Recurves and read they have a three piece kids bow, called Bobcat. According to the website as you need heavier limbs you swap out the old limbs for new limbs. I haven't shot a Stalker, yet.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:32:00 PM »
Greyfox54 that is very generous of you!    :clapper:  Shed Hunter I don't see any reason why he couldn't be pulling enough weight to tackle deer in another year or so. Especially since he has been shooting a lot already and has good form. It's just a matter of him working up in weight. Stalker Stickbows has a good bow program for youth.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 05:15:00 PM »
I can tell you that 24 pounds at 24 inches will push a cedar arrow with a very sharp 140 grain hill broadhead through an Iowa yearling whitetail with a forward liver hit and out a few inches on the other side.  I think that if a heavy rib was hit directly that would either be a bounce off or a non-lethal hit. If a rib was partially contacted, I do not know the results. If only fawns or yearlings were allowed to be shot at the chances of a good hit would be better.  At any rate at that poundage, I would look for a very quick for the draw length and poundage bow and make certain that the arrows are perfect.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©