3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much shaft beyond the shelf ???  (Read 265 times)

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
How much shaft beyond the shelf ???
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:00:00 AM »
Is there any advantage or disadvantage in having a shaft length that just clears the shelf versus one that is a few inches past the shelf?

I ask this in regards to arrow flight.

I realize some guys like to feel a broadhead touch their finger to discourage short draws while hunting.   This has nothing to do with my question though.

Thanks for your thoughts, Skychief.

PS:   It seems may of my shooting buddys have shafts that barely clear their shelves.   I have found some new shafts that hang 3-4" past my shelf, but, shoot fine.

These thoughts have led to my question above...

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much shaft beyond the shelf ???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
I let the arrow flight dictate how much past the shelf it should be.  If is too much, then the setup is too stiff and may want to go to a less stiff shaft or heavier weight up front. I try to maintain the 1 to 2 inches up front if possible.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:22:00 AM »
As above I let my tuning determine the length of my arrows.They are different for the different bows I shoot.For me I don't even consider length as long as they clear the rest and tuned right.

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
I let tuning dictate my arrow shaft length. As long as the finished arrow is long enough that I can hunt with it, then a good tune is what determines the final length of the arrow.

Bisch

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
One of the best shooters I ever met was DD Quillian. His arrows where 4" too long.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »
I like about an inch overhang plus the point beyond the back of the bow.  That provides plenty of clearance between the back of the broadhead and the bow hand index finger.  

Buy my shafts close to the correct spine to start with, cut them to length, fletch them and shoot.  Seldom need to mess with point weight or arrow shelf to get excellent arrow flight.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 11:46:00 AM »
I draw 26" and cut my arrows(cane and hardwood shoots)to 30". I like the extra physical weight and I think the extra length gets the arrow around the bow(selfbows) better.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 11:50:00 AM »
I let tuning dictate my arrows length. But oddly I almost always end up between 29.5"-30.5" with the point weight I want to use. I draw 28" and I don't notice any negative impact from having shafts that are around 2" longer than my draw.
James Kerr

Offline skychief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I thought I might be missing something, but, not this time.

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 04:18:00 PM »
I tune my bows with no more than 1/2" shaft past the shelf.

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
With Hill style longbows and wood arrows I find that shooting net length field tips and blunts are more predictable, also, I like to draw the broadhead to my finger as a draw check.

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 07:11:00 PM »
Whatever length shoots good for you as long as it's long enough to be safe.

(But too much hanging out the end of the bow just looks kind of goofy.)
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 11:19:00 PM »
Doesn't matter. Just get good flight. Next time get weaker shafts if you don't like it...

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 11:39:00 PM »
With a 31" draw, I try to have everything I can past the shelf and it ain't much, especially if I've had to trim an arrow back a little after hitting something harder than I was supposed too! I don't think the draw check length is a good idea in my oppinion, you get a giant bull or buck in front of you and you might pull a little farther than usual and dislodge your arrow from the string when the broadhead hits the shelf or your finger and if you have a magnus stinger on, with the backside of the blade being sharpened, you might get an owie.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
a well tuned arrow is correct theoretically... but a longer arrow is easier and more forgiving when we look at physics....

If a well tuned arrow of the same weight and tuning- the longer one is more forgiving... Why, may you ask? Because if the head and fletchings counteract one another... Then the longer shaft allows the fletchings to use a longer lever to recover faster for the same tuning as a longer arrow...

I say if it is tuned right... I dont care if it is 10 in past my draw length... But as is... My 29.5 in work well with my 27 in draw... But too short.. you may have problems with contact and the bow... OR WORSE!!!
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline petalumapete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 01:52:00 AM »
I learned a good lesson today. I have shot Carbon Express 250's on all my bows and pre cut to 29" before I try to tune. I always thought I did a pretty good job I would adjust by changing the head weight.

My wife and I were shooting today. I was trying to get tighter groups with my new Toelke Whip. It's 50#s at 28.

So my wife says "why don't you try my arrows". She is shooting full lenght Gold Tip 35/55 with 125gr up front.
Me being me I figure she has to be wrong but rather than argue I try them.
Zoweee. They flew like a dart. I'm not sure of the speed but they are comming out of that bow a heck of a lot faster with no drop at 20 yards. I'm stacking arrows like they are comming out of a compound.
I think I'll go buy my own tomorrow.
Don't any of you tell my wife she was right. I'll never hear the end of it. HAHAHa
Big Foot Sasquatch Recurve
64" 57#@ 27.5
Big Foot Flat Liner Long Bow
64" 49#@

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©