3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The Lethality Of The Diaphragm  (Read 454 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
The Lethality Of The Diaphragm
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:53:00 AM »
Im stubborn by nature, including when advised to shoot critters broad sided. Ive always been a fan of the behind last rib to the offside shoulder and have never lost an animal with this shot. Straight broad side, yes I have lost a few with compound bows and a couple of trad deer.

On the cross through, sharp, quartering away shot, the diaphragm is usually compromised. At least thats my intention and part of the reason Im taking the sharp angling shot. Does it lead to suffocation as the lungs are not operating well because of it being punctured? Again, I have never lost an animal that has been shot this way and wondered if its just coincidence (usually both lungs and heart punctured too) or that it adds to rapid death. What do you folks think of the shot and how much does a punctured diaphragm contribute to recovering a big game animal? Id love to know what you veterinarians think (or know).   :dunno:

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: The Lethality Of The Diaphragm
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »
I have shot a few deer slightly quartering away a bit too far back and got liver hits that also punctured the diaphragm and got one lung. None of these deer went over 65 yards and most died in under 40. In my opinion it is a truly lethal shot because without a properly functioning diaphragm no animals including humans lungs can function properly and cause the chest cavity to expand. This leads to rapid suffocation and death.
James Kerr

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 12:05:00 PM »
I actually prefer the quartering shot over any other shot. I'm with you izzy, I have had better blood trails with quartering away shots. I will be watching this one, good questions here   :readit:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Northwest_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Just to clarify, you will shoot an animal broadside if that is the only shot you get... won't you?
Michael

** Poppa can we go out and shoot bows and arrows? **  My boys

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
I like the slightly quartering away angle as opposed to the hard quartering away angle. I just don't see any way possible to get both lungs and the heart on a hard quartering away angle shot?

I always look for slightly quartering away with the near side leg forward. If I hit where I am looking, this shot does not puncture the diaphragm but it renders the critter dead in a matter of seconds.

I also believe the slightly quartering away angle gives you the most room for error when you happen to make a bad shot.

Bisch

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
I believe the quartering away shot has long been the preferred shot angle simply because it aligns multiple organs.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Yep, I prefer a slight quarter. That diaphragm controls the breathing.  I've had deer go much farther with broadside heart shots than shots that include the diaphragm.
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:30:00 PM »
I will take a straight broad side but prefer the angle that goes through everything.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
I like quartering away shots simply because I can shoot for the "middle" and have a whole lot of room for error and much less chance of a shoulder encounter with the low pounds I shoot.I will not wait if the critter is broadside though.RC

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 01:13:00 PM »
I've hesitated to say the same thing Izzy but my experiences mirror yours. I like those really sharp quartering away shots. The kind where you put the arrow behind the last rib. The first time I did this it was an accident. The last five or six times I did it on purpose. None of the deer went very far and most went down in sight!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
I think you hit it on the head RC.  Quartering away gives one more room for error.  I'll take either one, of course, if given the opportunity.  When I put the arrow in the right place, broadside or quartering, I've never had them go too far.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 01:21:00 PM »
I think the big advantage to the quartering is that it cuts a longer path thru the lungs making for more damage and quicker blood loss.  Poking a hole in the diaphragm makes for a leak in the chest cavity, but so does a hole thru the hide fwd of the diaphragm.  At least the hole in the hide leaks air in and blood out.  A hole in the diaphragm is easily blocked by internal stuff and won't really contribute to the blood trail.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
I think a slight quater is great, but so is a broadside shot...

I say that because they are both lethal shots and it is hunting...not shooting.  Seldom do I get what I want when hunting :-) and I advocate take what you get.

If there is a problem with a quarter away shot it is that the animal is usually gone past you and this will be your last chance.

Hunting to me is more about increasing chances not leaving it to the last chance...  Picky I know, I just worry sometimes that newer hunters will limit their shots too much.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
A heart shot deer can run a long ways, a deer that can't breath don't go far!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 01:52:00 PM »
I promise you that the hole punched in the diaphragm is not what is causing your improved results.  A healthy animal can function with just one lung and the hole provided by a broadhead will not completely destroy the function of that hemidiaphragm.  Any improved results are from other factors in play.

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »
The quartering shot is statistically a more lethal shot. As RC stated, it makes for a larger kill zone.And as Jonsimoneau said, in behind the last rib is a dead deer. I also like a going away shot for the fact that the deer has a harder time looking backwards.Iv' never lost a deer when shot at a hard quarter. I do however dislike putting an arrow threw the gut if I can help it. The last two deer I shot with a trad bow, I shot brood side threw the heart. They didn't go very far either. I will take whichever kill shot is offered.
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 02:40:00 PM »
I believe that reducing the function of the diaphragm may cause the deer to lay down quicker, hence shorter tracking jobs, but it is the blood loss of the vital organs that killed the deer.  

No doubt though, a hard quartering shot from above exiting in front and low of the opposite leg will leave a heck of a blood trail.

Bottom line is take the first lethal shot you get, at least that's my line of thinking.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
I guess I should explain further as well.  The size of a hole put in the diaphragm by a broadhead would be similar to that of a small congenital diaphragmatic hernia, which can be without symptoms sometimes.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Izzy...90% of my bow shots (from the ground) have been quartering away. That's how I setup my natural blinds, wanting that shot.

I have never lost a deer with a well placed arrow quartering away. I lost 2 when my arrow hit a tad too far back and found them the next day. Coyotes ate good.

Broadside shots from the ground are tough but probably more lethal because of the wider kill zone and more room for error. You can be off 4" and still make the kill but 4" off on a quartering deer could lead to problems.

Rhinehart offers a full size deer where you can pull remove part of the chest and it exposes all the vitals. We use it for Bowhunter Ed classes. Really opens your eyes where your arrow will travel once it enters the animal. Also remember the deer reacts to being hit and this will alter the path of your arrow.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
I can see exactly what your saying Pat as far as the hernia example. Im sure a lot of the short recoveries Ive seen from that shot are from the length of the wound channel through the lungs,heart and possibly the liver in some instances and the diaphragm just happens to get hit. It is also a bone free zone which may help if only slightly with penetration.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©