3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Alberta bear action  (Read 377 times)

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Alberta bear action
« on: June 10, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »
I just returned a few days ago (and am still catching up) from Alberta bear camp.  I hunted with Jason Lambley's huntsfromtheheart.com and had a good adventure.  Mike Ronpsies (a teaching and coaching partner) and I decided to drive to Ft. McMurray (3,334 mi. roundtrip) and I'm not sure we'd do it again.  But airfare was ridiculous every time we checked; of course gas prices went up in late May too, so what are you going to do.  It did make dealing with customs easier and I got to see every single species (I think) of available waterfowl, especially in ND and SK on the way up.  No pics of those, though, as we wanted to make good time.  I think we were actually driving for a total of about 52 hours or more.  Quite a grind.  Once we got to Ft. Mac, we stayed overnite at a recommended motel close to the airport where we'd fly out of the next day.  $215/nite.  Yep.  Good news was that there was a sign on the door of the fancy motel:  "There is a bear in the area.  Beware."   :)   Bad news is beer was $6.75 a bottle for the common stuff.  Ft. Mac is largely a town full of miners--it's where much of the Tar Sands Oil Industry is located--and things are expensive....

Love this unbelievably cool bend in the Athabasca River.  The Athabasca is probably about 250-300 yds. across, with a heavy and powerful flow.  

Upon arrival, I get to spend just an hour with my little brother Jason who ramrods both this and the Manitoba parts of his operation.  His outgoing crew went 6/3 with with each guy filling two tags.  Two riflemen and one bowhunter from PA.  Nice bunch of guys.  We unloaded our stuff, loaded theirs, talked about the hunting (they were EXTREMELY upbeat) and that was it for my time with my brother.  He was off to Manitoba to man the hunts there, leaving us with his main hired man, Donavin Larocque, who I really ended up liking.  This is Jason and I on the floats.

Our hunting would be done out of a very comfortable base camp, using a V-hull to access bait sites spread up and downriver.  The river had fallen FOUR feet during the week the previous group had been in camp.  It would RISE four feet before we left.  Here is Mike helping Donavin load up for another trip.

"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Alberta bear action
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 08:01:00 PM »
My hunt started slowly with 0 sightings my first two evenings.  But on that first evening, I had two wolves cruise the riverbank just 40 yards away right at last light.  It was really too dark to even use a rifle, but I tried calling them, and got them to come back and even enter the timber to about 20 yards.  But it was so dark that I all could see was when they moved.  They would've had to come in to the bait area or access path for it to be clear enough to shoot with my longbow (and a guy with a compound/sights would've been SOL regardless).  So I didn't get a shot.  Some of you may know that in 1993 I was fortunate to kill a timber wolf with a Pronghorn longbow in Manitoba.  I don't think anyone's killed two with a bow.  That hasn't changed, darn it.

BTW, the plane used is a Caravan which can use tires or floats both on the same flight.  The valley of this river lies about 600 feet below the surrounding canyon tops and the elevation grade is STEEP.  

Mike's hunt would be interesting from the get-go and he'd finish the hunt with a bear and a wolf, both taken with the rifle.  His wolf was taken at a range of at least 280 yards, perhaps 300-plus, a fine piece of shooting across the river for sure.  

We also had a bear in camp with us, of course the guide seeing it early one morning when it began to rain and he wanted to cover the hidework he had going on.  It was BIG, but apparently knew it was being "bad" and never came back which was too bad, as I sat 5 a.m. to 8 a.m. the next morning hoping for a return visit.

This photo shows that a bear even visited our outhouse, leaving his paw/claw prints clearly on the padded foam insulation used as a commode cushion.   :)

As far north as we were, the twilight lasted forever and nights were short.  Here we are prepping for a boat ride back to camp at probably 10:30 p.m.?  

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 08:04:00 PM »
In the meantime, I was finishing the first of two books I got read (plus I was doing a lot of writing).  This book was actually a book I read in college as part of a science fiction course, and despite it being a genre I'm usually not drawn to, the book left a mark and I found a copy and reread it on stand in the first couple days.  It's weird, reading a book that you last read probably 30 years ago.  Strange as it may sound, that very equation took me back to much of how my life was back in college.  Good book, by the way (Downward to the Earth by Robert Silverberg).

I also read M.R. James new book, Hunting the Dream.

Interesting to note how much things have changed since my last trip up here in 2009.  The maps I'd drawn in my hunt log back in '09, I could no longer read my tiny penmanship without cheater glasses.  Yikes...

I used a Pronghorn Longbow, leaving the "Green Machine" for backup and instead opting for "Blondie," a fine looking 53 lb. at 28" bow of 62" length made of curly ash.  I probably pull closer to 29" and used 2018's with Woodsman heads.

Here you see me in an area we found up in the hills that was just beat to death with bear sign.  We found this on one of our blood trails, and it was clearly an area bears were spending a great deal of time in.  We also saw whitetail deer and of course the timber wolves as other big critters.  There was moose sign in the area, but we didn't see any.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Day Three found me in one of the two farthest baits, named Grizzly for a huge cinnamon/blonde taken here in 2009 by another guy in camp when I was there.  This place just feels like the land that time forgot.  It is a very "close" bait as the only option is a pretty much bare tree about 15 yards from the bait, and with one of the entry trails directly under you with plenty of evidence that the bears have climbed your tree before as well.  There is also this ancient fallen timber covered with moss except for where the bear trail crosses it, adding a feeling of eeriness to the whole scene.

I got on stand maybe noon that day and within an hour or two had a good bear come in.  It stood up and rubbed his back just on the other side of that fallen log pictured above.  I didn't get photos of that but did get pics of the bear on his approach.  Not huge, but very rolly-polly and great fur.  I'd guess him 250 lbs. (everybody overestimates/exaggerates bear weights, but I try real hard to be real and so does my brother).  I don't know if I'm right about the size, but decided I'd take him.

I had a slam dunk shot at 12 yards and it looked very good.  But I got very poor penetration.  Three or four hours later after an intensive search where we ended up gaining about 600' in elevation and going over 1/2 mile, it was apparent I'd not gotten him.  The only thing I can think is that at the close range/harsh angle I slid the arrow over his back and the top of the opposite shoulder stopped progress.  We never found enough total blood to cover the back of your hand, but followed scuff marks, broken twigs, rare tracks and the occasional blood spot to confirm we were on the right path.  It's crazy, but some of our best bloodtrailing jobs are those that do not end well, and this was one of those cases.  I'm completely convinced this bear is okay, and we did find my shaft, missing only the broadhead, about 600 yards from the site.  I was very disappointed but with Mike across the river (killing a bear the same nite, BTW), there was nothing to do but climb back up even though we'd totally buggered up the woods here.

Sure enough, another bear came in.  Smaller, maybe 200# tops, I just wasn't in the mood to shoot again on this day unless it was really big.  So I took lots of pics of him at the bait where he spent 30-50 minutes maybe.  He then left by the way the other bear came (over that log).  When he got to the log (about 15 yards away), I don't know why but I did my best mouth imitation of a bear moan, trying to throw the sound to the side.  He spun around and bluff-charged the little grove of short spruce directly in front of me.  Yikes.  He was not happy, and began to pace around looking for an adversary.  Then he went about 30 yards away and laid down watching his back trail.  I could barely see him here, certainly not well enough to take photos.  After a while, his head started lolling (probably from some sugar buzz from the bait!) and went to sleep.  At times, he'd place his paws over his face to keep the bugs at bay.  Pretty cool.

Pretty soon it was getting dark and I knew I'd get picked up soon.  So I thought I'd see how much it'd take to wake him up.  I had brought along a very cheap Johnny Stewart (?) caller to see if it'd work on wolves so I hit the whimpering puppies sound and after about 30 seconds of gradually increasing volume (it never got real loud), the bear stirred and began coming back.  I shut off the volume as soon as he stirred.  He began walking back, got about 12-15 yards from my tree, looked straight up at me, and bluff-charged my tree to a distance of 3 yards, pushing over a dead spruce which now lay against my tree in the process.  He was NOT happy.  This along with a loud "woof" and popping his jaws.  After the staredown, he walked directly under me (see pic below).

And returned to the bait but only after another very serious bluff charge from that angle.  He was not amused, and I was certainly on edge.  But even though I'd killed five bears in five previous trips, I'd not really gotten to see much aggressive behavior while my brothers all have.  So this was good stuff, though I decided right then and there that I was not going to make any more noises at this guy.

About this time, the boat starts coming and the bear doesn't care.  The guide is leaving the boat, and I'm yelling at him (the rapids there were pretty loud) to bring the gun as the bear wasn't moving.  The bear finally did grab a chunk of something and grudgingly walk off.  Man, I wanted to come back to this bait but boat motor issues and a suddenly rising river full of river trash made it impossible.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
The 10-12 mi. trip back upstream to camp took about 90 minutes.  A shorter one in two days would take 2.5 hours as the river was full of alligators (entire spruce trees) floating down and required a diligent effort to avoid them and keeping our one boat motor alive (the other had totally lost its prop; we had an add'l prop, but not the nut to keep it on).  

Bear carcasses look a lot like a human when their fur has been removed.  As does their paw/hand.

Man to be home and leave that some place as a gag...and get a whole police investigation started I suppose.  (A story in Barry Wensel's book Once Upon A Time confirms this in hilarious fashion).  The woods here look somewhat open from up in the tree, but on the ground it's usually close to impenetrable.  Here is a relatively open spot while blood-trailing, a rarity indeed.

Day 4 found me in the same stand as Day 1 (wolves) where the bait was getting cleaned out and there was a big bear seen there on camera the week prior.  Shortly after getting set, from up the hill I could hear 16-20 very loud hisses/heavy breathing/whatever you wanna call it.  A bear clearly didn't like something.  I was hoping he was just warning off other bears, but he may have been letting me know he didn't like me there.  So I sat for about 8 hours hoping, but he never came down despite two other series of maybe 4 to 6 of these noises in the hour to follow his first vocalizations.

It was on this day Mike killed his wolf, but our guide was too far upstream (working on a wolf blind for fall) to hear him on the radio.  So Mike got to watch his wolf laying dead on the far bank of the river for about 5 hours without being able to go claim it.  They are a stinky SOB though, when you do finally get to hold one.  Just reek.  And BIG-arse animals.

Meanwhile I'm running out of time and the river is rising fast (it'd come up about four feet in 24 hours) and full of logs.  We decide to run halfway downriver to a bait that had some bears on it the week before, though nothing huge sighted.  

Mid-afternoon, here came a bear.  Not big enough to really want to kill, but big enough to make it interesting.  He was extremely tentative which can mean a bigger bear is around.  

He grabbed a goodie from the bait and walked off 20 yards to eat it--another sign that he's not real comfortable here (or else is spooky about the hunter).  It did not seem to be the latter and maybe 20 minutes later a bigger bear came on the same trail.  This one was hard to judge.  Very leggy but with a decent head and great hide.  I was debating.  He went up to the bait and made himself at home.  Over the next 20-30 minutes the other bear circled the bait, paced back and forth, etc.  The bigger one greeted him on one of these sojourns and both stood nose-to-nose making an ape-like "woo-woo-woo..." noise.  Very agitated.  They exchanged some blows.  By now I'm switching my camera over to video.  And I'd eventually get maybe four decent clips of bear activity and all kinds of vocalization, most of which sounded like that deep "gluck....gluck" sound of a rutting moose.  

The subordinate bear was really getting worked up at being shut out.  He paced back and forth, stood and grabbed small trees and shook them, walked over small saplings again and again (intimidation and scenting I assume).  When he got too close, all heck broke loose.  Luckily I had my video running, as what occurred next was short but violent and intense.  The bigger bear stood up, back arched like a cat, walked sideways at the other bear which suddenly found himself without an obvious exit and paused for a second...the big bear was on him IMMEDIATELY with a cat-like pounce that is impressive on the video.  He bit the other repeatedly, mostly on the upper rear leg, perhaps near the private area, and shook his head.  Lots of moaning by the other bear which found itself on its back being attacked quickly and repeatedly.  After maybe 8-10 seconds of fighting (during which time A LOT occurred) the smaller one scrambled up and began a hasty retreat right at my tree with the other on his tail.  

THIS VIDEO IS POSTED ON  http://www.brycelambley.com  under 'Latest.'  It's worth your effort to see it.

This photo taken earlier, explains why I might have good reason to be worried at this point.

There were old paw print scars up a nearby aspen to at least 20 feet.  Fortunately, the bear chase went at least 60 yards and probably much further over a rise and out of sight.  Wow.

It was my next to last evening and I was talking myself into taking this bear.  When he came back 20 minutes later, and laid down facing completely away from me, I decided if I got a good shot, I was going to take a shot.  The other bear inexplicably returned and again was pacing around, but not at 20 yards like before but from maybe twice that distance.  I figured to throw a cookie from my lunch over the top of the bear to make him think the other bear had gotten close, hoping he'd stand up and present a good shot.

My cookie actually went right into the other barrel, the bear immediately pounced up and stared away from me, quartered away at a pretty nice angle.  At 17 yards my arrow drilled him perfectly, exiting just in front of the opposing front leg, somewhat disabling it and doing damage to the bone.  He did a quick semi-circle in front of me, slowing to a walk after 20 yards and laid down and died after 35 yards, giving the common (but not always occurring) death moan repeatedly.  I can't immediately get Donavin on the radio, but there is still good light for photos so I get down to take some while I can and when my feet his the ground, the other bear is on the bait.  I start talking to him and he apparently does not understand English.  Or maybe not Nervous English.  I'm not liking this much, but I nock and arrow and take a couple tentative steps toward the bait to see what the reaction is.  This bear is equally not as thrilled and retreats a hair.  I take a few fast steps toward him, and he retreats more.  So I charge the bait and he ambles off into the brush, but making that moose sound which has me on edge.

Fortunately at this time the guide catches my message and is there shortly and we get some good pics although forget to remove the rifle from the background, but that accentuates that we were dealing with aggressive bears and you could never take things for granted.

A couple days later the Caravan arrives, and we are on our way back to Ft. Mac with lots of stories and a looooong drive ahead of us back to the Cornhusker State and some unfinished work at our place of employment.  Before we left we stashed the boat downstream for the fall or next spring, and discovered tons of wolf track within 150 yards of camp, several days worth.  Another reminder we weren't in Kansas (or Nebraska) anymore.  A very good trip, and what a delight to have no concept of time, cell phone, email or care in the world--well except for angry bears.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Congrats on the bear and the wolf! I hope to tag my first black bear next week on the Bear Quest hunt in Quebec.

Bisch

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 08:44:00 PM »
Good stuff! Congrats on the bear.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:46:00 PM »
Thxs for sharing your fun filled exciting hunt...CONGRATS ON THE BEAR!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 08:48:00 PM »
Nice bear, and story.  Thank you for sharing.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »
Great story and pictures!  Congratulations on your hunt and thanks for sharing your adventure with us!     :clapper:

Bernie Bjorklund

NC Iowa/SW Wisconsin

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:11:00 PM »
Man that was great! Thanks for posting this.   :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks for taking us along
   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Awesome !!  :thumbsup:
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Bryce, fantastic story and photo support, rifle in the background or not!

That place looks wild!
Mike Davenport

Offline CatSplat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Wow, that bear-fight video is astonishing!

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Great story and pics ! I have hunted a few times north of Ft. MacMurray for bear and moose , love the country up there .
Greyfox54

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:49:00 PM »
Great pics, video, and story Bryce! Congratulations on a fine bear!
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Cool!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
Bryce,

You have got to spread all that info out over a few more posts...that was a LOT to digest!  Nice to see you using some of that vacation time    :thumbsup:  

Great trip.

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 11:24:00 PM »
Great stuff as always my friend
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©