3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Bowhunter's Letter to his Father  (Read 502 times)

Offline Bel007

• Trad Bowhunter
A Bowhunter's Letter to his Father
« on: June 10, 2013, 09:24:00 PM »
I have found in my hunting travels that sometimes lessons learned come without ever dropping a string.  This spring I learned another one.  It is about the love of the hunt and that the relationships made can be more meaningful than the hunts themselves.

I have had the honor, for the last three years, of hunting with Tim Bradley of Colorado for spring bear season.  Quite the hunter himself, I think Tim’s greatest joy comes from sharing his love of traditional bowhunting with his son.  Tim was with his son Joe last fall when, at the age of 32, Joe harvested his Mountain Goat to successfully complete Colorado’s “Big 8”.

Joe could not join his father this spring bear hunting with our group in Manitoba.  It has been a while since the two did not go into the bear woods together.  It was obvious to the group that Tim was missing his son.  He showed us all an arrow that had been made by Joe.  Tim said he was going to use it to take a bear this hunt.  On the last day in camp, after harvesting his bear, Tim shared with me a letter his son had given to him before he left on the trip.

Tim said the letter showed him that beyond just being able to take trophies, he knew by those words that his son “understood” what traditional bowhunting was all about.  In Tim’s own unique way he asked me if I would share this letter with all of you.  He said he knew many you would also “understand” and for anyone that did not yet “get it”, maybe this would help.  

I submit the letter (with Tim's and Joe’s permission) for your reflection:

Tim and Joe (Spring Bear Camp – 2012)

Hey-[Dad]

We’ve bear hunted every spring since 2005, and not going this time is killing me.  I miss the planning and packing already.  I’ll miss the anticipation of the trips events.  I can almost feel the excitement of watching that first bear approach, and the hair still stands on my neck every time.  It hurts…

Obviously, I had something happen in my life that took this trip from me, but you still get to go and enjoy the passion we both share.  With that in mind, if I knew last year was my last trip… I would have watched the squirrels longer, breakfasts would have tasted better and little things we take for granted would have been noticed every time.

I’m going to miss the late nights and long stories- the smell of the rain- the sound of a Thermacell firing up- checking the wind over a fresh cup of coffee- the camaraderie around the camp- shooting in the mornings before a big breakfast- checking stand sites for hair color and other sign- Our “quiet” talks about each of our stands- going over equipment again- discussing options and thoughts with you- the fishing fun- the joking and pranks-  all of the “chores” that need to be done- the climb into the stand to settle for the evening- the rush of seeing the first bear of the night, while sizing him up- the strategy involved in the hunt- the Canadian stores and people- the border confusion and the anxiety that comes with it- the anticipation of waiting for the shot- the fast seconds after a kill, listening for a death moan in the distance…. and the loons… definitely the lonely cry of the loons.  God, I am going to miss this hunt.  It is a part of me.  There is no other way to explain it.

I want you take one of my arrows.  You don’t have to shoot it, but please carry it in your quiver.  Take me with you.  This was an arrow I made to complete my Big 8, during my goat hunt.  I’m so glad you were there for that day.  If you are feeling nostalgic, you could shoot one of your bears over the next two weeks with it.  Our arrows shoot exactly the same; this one is over 600 grains, spined at 55-60.  Regardless, give it back to me, bloody or clean… just take me with you.

Pick a spot.  Shoot straight.  Good luck.

I can almost feel the excitement of watching that bear approach, and the hair still stands on my neck every time.  It hurts, dad…

Tim – Black Bear harvested with his son’s arrow – 05/2013
Brian - aka "Big Sexy"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters - Lifetime Member

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Bowhunter's Letter to his Father
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:27:00 PM »
Really cool!  :clapper:

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
:thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
That was down right heart touching! I never got to experience such things with my dad but, I am hoping to give them to my son. He already is showing an outstanding love of the outdoors and wanting to go hunting with me and he is only 6. Thanks for sharing that!   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 09:39:00 PM »
That sums it all up. I could feel the passion and excitement in every word. Thanks for sharing.  :thumbsup:
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
Of all the guys I've had the pleasure to hunt with I miss my Dad the most. He's been gone almost 25 years now and I still tear up at times passing a stand he sat or a blind we shared . Touching letter , He gets "IT"
Greyfox54

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing.   Great letter.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
:campfire:  

Thank you for sharing.  Congrats on a fine relationship with your son/father Tim and Joe.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hermon:
X2

Absolutely AWESOME! That IS the passion of Trad!

Benjy
TGMM Family of the Bow
ZIPPER NITRO 64" LONGBOW 50#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   60" RECURVE 52#@29"
ZIPPER SXT   64" LONGBOW 71#@29"

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
Originally posted by Benjy:

Originally posted by Hermon:
X2

Absolutely AWESOME! That IS the passion of Trad!

Benjy [/b]
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Benjy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 10:01:00 PM »
I liked it so much, I Triple posted!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline eflanders

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
What a great relationship!  Even though he couldn't be with him in person, Joe was still able to make his dad's hunt very special in a beautiful way.
Fantastic!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:41:00 PM »
Lance, having read that letter myself I couldn't talk for a few minutes after...the reaction was the same this time. Those fellas get it. I can't wait to share a camp with Joe and repeat a week of camp with Tim    :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline Jerry Bellmyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
WOW!
Leon Stewart 3 piece TD "Slammer" 62" 54lbs
Black Widow PCHX 60" 53 lbs

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 10:45:00 PM »
I would say that letter is going to hit every dad right in the heart.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
that's a beautiful letter, one that makes us all pause and get real quiet for a few moments!

I remember the first deer hunt my dad took me on, at maybe 10 or 11.  We stopped someplace in the middle of nowhere for dinner, and he walked out into the greasewood for some logs, built a fire, baked potatoes in the coals, and when they were about ready, threw on some steaks and a can of peas.  I can still taste the steak, as good now as it was then, over half a century now.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline BANNOCK-.PT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 11:03:00 PM »
As a father and bowhunter, that letter was extremely moving. It made me cherish all the memories I've had with my son thus far, and reminded me not to take for granted all the time we've been blessed to be able to spend together.
Live every day like it's your last and one day you'll be right!

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 12:01:00 AM »
I think they are both very lucky.. Cherish the time together.

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 12:07:00 AM »
Wonderful story! It really hits close to home.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©