3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tight Nock  (Read 445 times)

Offline tsorenson

• Trad Bowhunter
Tight Nock
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:52:00 PM »
I've been trying to tune my bow (50# Samick Sage, 30" Beman ICS Hunter 400 arrows and 5 gpi arrow weights) for quite some time.  I finally have gotten close by dropping my point weight all the way down to 125, but no matter what I do from here I can't get a perfectly straight entry into the target.  Most mornings (I shoot before work) I get a few straight entries, but mostly slight nock rights, then occasionally I'll throw a  slight nock left.  I plan on elk hunting with this bow and I certainly don't want arrows entering at any angle whatsoever.  I'm guessing that form (I'm a new shooter) is the likely candidate here, but I thought today that my arrows nock awfully tight to the string - could this cause my problems as well?  I have read that you should be able to tap the string while an arrow hangs from it, and the arrow should become dislodged.  Mine is nowhere close to that - I have to give a fairly good tug on the arrow to get it to release.  I'm hoping this is what is causing the nock left/right issues because it would sure be a lot easier to correct than figuring out what is wrong with my form/release!

Offline Butternutz

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tight Nock
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »
Not to confuse you but it may be a number of things.
Gripping the bow too tight,density of your target could be making your arrows stick at different angles,and my personal opinion does sound like your nock may be to tight. Good luck
=}}}}====}>
Blackwidow PSA 60"46@28
Toelke Whip 60"44@28
Toelke Classic 58"41@28
Blackwidow PTF V 58"51@28
=})})}=LAWMAN=>

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
Tight nocks can cause a host of problems.  The last thing you want is an arrow trying to hang on for dear life as the string returns to brace.....and also makes the bow louder.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:05:00 PM »
tight nocks are a pain, but don't make the rookie mistake I did of sanding them down too much. A finger nail file will fix them nicely but if they're too loose it causes a whole other list of issues and can be as bad or worse than a tight nock. As with most things, there is a happy medium. Dale Karch, the guy from 3 rivers archery does a good example of this in master of the barebows DVD. You want the nock to grip the string enough so the arrow doesn't just fall off, but if you hold the bow upside down with the arrow on the string and the arrow tip facing the dirt, you should be able to just tap the back and have the arrow snap off the string with little effort. Thats the happy medium.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 01:06:00 PM »
I have found that it makes a big difference and is worth the effort to get it right.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
I'm just trying to picture a 400 spine arrow, 30" out of a 50# bow (you don't say what your draw length is) and it sure seems stiff to me. Just for grins, I'd try some 175 gr or 200 gr points and see if that cleans things up a bit. If it does, you might want to look at some .500 spined arrows.

Just saying - points are dirt cheap to try.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline tsorenson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:00 PM »
Thanks, guys - 2 great points you bring up: gripping the bow too tight (I know I have a problem there!) and noise level of a tight nock (I have thought this bow is louder than it should be).

So, would it be wiser to try an obtain larger grooved nocks, file my current nocks (yikes!) or try and get smaller serving on my string?  I'm guessing buying nocks with larger grooves would be easiest - but does such a product even exist?

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2013, 01:22:00 PM »
Nocks are cheap in relation to most archery gear. You're going to order new nocks eventually either way so why not file them lightly first. Its not as bad as it sounds and is free to do. If you order new nocks they may or may not fix the problem and you're still spending money. If you file them, it'll probably work, and if not you order new ones anyways. so why not try to file the ones you have first?
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline tsorenson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »
Kamm - thank you...that does give me some ideas.  I may have to grab the fingernail file when the wife isn't looking!

Bladepeek - I have a 28" draw.  I began using 200 gr tips and was having all kinds of issues. I went up from there and the issue became worse, so I started going lighter in 10 gr increments and finally settled at 125-130.  I think the 125 flies better than the 130, but it could be my imagination, too!  I haven't actually checked the weight of my bow, either - I'm just going be what it is rated as by the manufacturer.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
I sand mine with sand paper...but also use my thumb n forefinger to keep from grinding out the throat of the nock...and I'm only sanding the sides...and yes...sand a little and check...sand a little and check.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 01:28:00 PM »
I confiscated one of my wife's cushioned nail files. I find it more consistent than sandpaper. Just squeeze the file a little to get inside the nock and about 10 swipes is good. Like Terry, I check, file, check, file, check, file-- a little at a time.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2013, 01:38:00 PM »
Has anyone boiled the nock then slid it on the string while hot? The idea being to expand the plastic a bit without taking off too much material...
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
i dont boil them...makes too brittle.  I do warm in hot water (good bit less than boiling) being sure not to submerge over glue line/edge of nock on shaft...just the prongs.

Then I snap on and off the string a couple times and let cool with it on string. For both making tighter or loosening depending on serving thickness vs nock fit.
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
Yeah Ray.... I fold the sand paper to make a file kinda like that.

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
I do what Terry explained. Works good.

Offline tsorenson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
Sounds like a consensus for the filing method.  Will give it a try this week.  Thanks for all the help, guys! This place is awesome.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »
Keep in mind, that it should only take a good tap on the string with a finger while holding the bow with the arrow facing down towards the floor, but the arrow should not fall off by itself or with just a very slight tap. You'll know once you start doing them.

I shoot around 50# pull bows with GT 1535's and GT 3555's. For the 3555's I  use a 50 gr. brass insert with 125-145 gr. tip. they are 30 1/2" from deepest part of the nock to the brass insert, they fly very straight from my 50 # at my draw length LB.

I also shoot a 28 1/2 inch 1535 with 100 gr. brass insert and a 145- 175 gr. tips and they fly pretty good but do show stiff on occasion if I don't do my part.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
I think Bladepeek is probably right. When you get the nocks fitting better, I think those arrows will fly stiff, unless that bow is cut way past center. I draw 29" at 58 pounds and shoot a full length 400 spine with a 100 insert and a 175 field point.

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
In my opinion the better route is change the serving to the proper size and then you wont have to sand the nock now or in the future. Long term fix.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Yes....serving would work best for some....but not me....

I wouldn't be able to keep up with my serving tool.     :knothead:      :knothead:      :knothead:

I got sand paper hid out all in my hunting gear...and my shop, and my vehicle     :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©