3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kayak Carp  (Read 858 times)

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kayak Carp
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »
KOOK68, yes, that is a Boykin.  He's 15 months old and turning into a great dog.  And Jeff, no, he stayed home on this trip.  He comes with me in the yak fishing, but I didn't want him today when I was trying to stand up.

Standing in the kayak did take some getting used to, but I got pretty comfortable with it as I went.  With the way the bottom of my boat is shaped I have to keep my feet in the same position and can't be turning around to shoot the other side.  This is a Native Ultimate 14.5.  It is a tandem kayak, but it converts easily to solo as shown in the picture.  Native has another model called the Slayer that has a flat bottom.  If you don't need the tandem option that would be a great bowfishing boat.

These carp are destined to be eaten and enjoyed in the form of vegetables - they do make great fertilizer   ;)    Learning to smoke fish and meats is another one of those things that I want to learn though!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Great Haul Joe!!! I wish they were spawning 2 weeks ago. Never even saw one after many hours in the rain and wind.  did see pike and a snapping turtle though.

Is it impossible to shoot sitting down?  I know it would be tough to see but how would it be for shooting?
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 08:08:00 PM »
Great job.  Those things got some shoulders to em.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
You need to jury rig some outriggers on that outfit - I did that on my canoe back in my heavy duty carpin' days.  Used old plastic barrels.

Arlo would LOVE to roll around in those fish in a couple days!

R

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Good shooting Joe.  That carp shooting is just fun.  I saw some up this morning in a lake we shoot in.  I think I may have to skip work on Friday morning if its nice.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
Outriggers would really make this thing stable.  From what I've been told, the carp spawn on this lake is very short lived, so this likely will be my only chance at it this year.  But they would be nice for fly fishing as well - going to have to look into making a set.

Charlie, I could shoot sitting down if I wanted, but not at anything very close.  And like you said, it would be really tough to see into the water from that angle.  Standing really wasn't a problem at all, the only issue is not being able to turn very far to my right for a shot.  There were quite a few times when I had fish well within shooting range, but on the wrong side of the boat.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline CJ Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
Good Job.. That is awesome

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2013, 09:36:00 PM »
It is pretty cool to have a 30 lb cow splashing behind the boat and theres nothing to9 do but watch.

I was asking about sitting because I have a solo canoe that is old and too weak to stand in.  I think RC's Idea of having a board to sit on, may be something to experiment with.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
That had to be a great time Joe.  Tell Arlo Hi!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Homebru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »
Great job, Joe!!!  When I saw the pics, I thought "why not kneel in the kayak".
homebru

Offline bretto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »
Nice shooting Whip. I've got the same reel and reel seat on My bow. It's nice to be able to reel in a fish instead of laying the bow down and pulling them in.   :thumbsup:  

bretto

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
COOL! I just got my rig setup today
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
On a   Tuesday no less...you retired guys kill me.    ;)

Bluegills on Monday, carp on Tuesday, probably cut the grass and pack the truck up on Wednesday for some weekend bowhunting function.   I sure hope I live long enough to retire!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »
Grass is already cut, but other than that you've got me pretty well pegged.   :D
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 06:59:00 AM »
You mean to say you have time to cut the grass!  Redfish in Charleston with Duckbutt today and hogs tomorrow.  Now where did I put my canoe for Friday  :goldtooth:
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 07:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Steve O:
On a   Tuesday no less...you retired guys kill me.     ;)  
Yeah, last time me and Tippit were at the fly shop, I told them it was like having a college buddy or a son home from college.  Always ready to go fishing/hunting and I've always got to work.  

:biglaugh:

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:00 AM »
By the way, love the photos Joe!

I took my boykin fishing once.  Every time I had one  on, she would jump in and swim out and retrieve the fish.  Never took her back.  Now she just gets to go on boat rides.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 07:58:00 AM »
Great pictures Joe! Used to have a similar bow setup. Ever forget to push the button?   :scared:

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Fun - My friend and I use our kayaks with spears by taking a fiberglass arrow and cutting it in 1/2 and mounting it to a broom handle.  With a short piece of cord tying the arrow to the center of the handle it allows the arrow to pull out when you hit a monster and then you can let go of the rig when you feel like your going to tip over and go retrieve the floating handle to re-establish the battle.  Adds some challenge because you have to get right on top of them.

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©