3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk about knives..  (Read 789 times)

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk about knives..
« on: June 12, 2013, 12:49:00 PM »
Hello, my real name is Danny and I'm a knife-a-holic.

If you are taking the time to read this post, you probably are too. Go ahead admit it. You are among friends here.

I like pocket knives (3 blade Stockmans), lock backs and fixed blades. I have a propensity for nice antler handles but depending on the purpose, am not opposed to any of the man-made materials.

I have knives that remain in the safe because to me, they are just too pretty to take to the field. This always creates a dilemma during hunting season. Which blade to carry? I usually have a fixed blade on my belt, a lock back folder on the belt of my backpack, a skinner in the pack and a folder in my left front pocket. Oh, did I mention the neck knife? And then there is the Leatherman....does it ever end?

Rule #9: Always carry a knife. - Leroy Jethro Gibbs

So, lets hear it. How bad is it and is there any hope for this malady?

Danny
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk about knives..
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:53:00 PM »
my obsession turned into a full time job of 15+ years  :)

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 01:01:00 PM »
I always refused to believe that I have a thing for knives and guns (and bows, and).  Then I look in my guy space.

But I don't have ANY polka dotted underwear. .  no sir, not a single pair.
ChuckC

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »
Not a collector.  Can't explain why.  But I had a go at trying to be a professional full-time sharpener for awhile. (Mostly salon shears, clipper blades, and planer knives.) Always liked sharpening but really got into it when I took up restoring/using straight razors.  

Don't have very many, but I've very particular about what I do have/get.  Carbon has it's place, and I like certain stainless for certain things/uses.  I think knives are like a lot of other things out there: A lot of lore and hearsay, most of which is smoke.

Don't care the CroMoly steels a lot of production knives are using. Don't care for Buck's 420 (Heresy, I know) even though they take an otherwise worthless knife steel and make an "ok" one out of it.

Current "go-to" hunting knife is the Spyderco Featherweight "Moran" upswept kept on my knife. (VG10 steel)  I've tried neck-knives as daily carrr...don't care for it..maybe just haven't tried the right one.

SOG makes a nice daily carry using AUS8, I love that knife, it's the smaller TWITCH model. I love what SOG does with the steel, though others report not carrying much for it from other makers. Behaves just like carbon for me...minus the corrosion.
Micah 6:8

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »
Custom Knives are almost as bad as custom bows, you can not have too many. I probably have 20 customs from some well known makers on here, Doug Campbell(8), Kevin Evans (1), Lamey (1), Karl Anderson(6), couple of  John Sevi knives, one from an Aussie maker, tippit (1) plus a few more including a western that belonged to my father.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Well, you can't have too many knives. You can have too many to use at any one time, but that's about creating a choice for yourself. And choices are good.
I have one neck knife, several folders, pocket and belt type, but my preference is fixed blades and I'm a stag handle man, but not to exclusion of any good blade.
But, I'm not admitting to anything...
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline WarDancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:00 PM »
favorite carry right now is a Solingen eye brand yellow handle lock blade great size, good steel and fits the hand very well. Enjoyed shooting with you at Ft Worth. Bill

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 01:41:00 PM »
I usually pick a dedicated sheath knife for the hunting season, and carry that one through the end of the year....of course this does not include the cleaver and caper in the hunting bag, or the multitool, or the SAK, or other folder I might have on me at any one time...I do have a couple of lookers but most of mine get some use, I keep telling myself I've kinda stopped looking for that next knife...but I do have 2 or 3 on my list that I'd like to buy.....mostly custom makers...one has a two year waiting  list....kinda like some bowmakers...I've yet to get on the knife list though.....lots of good bladesmiths out there!

Offline Swinestalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
The knife is the single most important tool mankind has ever produced in my opinion. A finely made knife is work of art to my eyes and inspires in me an ancient, istinctual fascination.
Having done so much, with so little, for so long, I can now do anything with nothing.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 02:10:00 PM »
I always carry a knife, from going out to dinner to work, to woods.  Not really a collector, I purchase for more of function, and The Esee knives I have gotten last few years our my favorite I have ever used.

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »
Hey Danny, funny thing, I was just thinking of a thread like this!  I love the classic hunting knives, the Bucks, Western (my Bear Bowhunters Kit is my pride & joy), Schrade and Case.  I have them all.  I may be in the market for a custom soon!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:41:00 PM »
Rule #9 is a smart one!

I am addicted to pocket knives in particular Case Trappers. I have a drawer full and will add more when the whim hits me. I tend to rotate through the ones I carry so they all get a turn.

On my belt when I hunt is normally a Buck 105 or 110, I have a few of those too.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 02:50:00 PM »
Feel naked without two!  I'll carry SS, but a good carbon steel is something special
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
Marc B. - The Case Trapper is one of the "special" folders. They are hard to beat.

I have holes in my front pants pockets because of the knife I always carry. Can't get my bride to patch them up so now I'm carrying a CRKT Crawford Kasper (liner lock) with a clip so it hangs on/in my pocket and I don't worry about the hole.     :thumbsup:    

Bill - enjoyed the Ft. Worth Shoot also.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »
I have beautiful knives and working knives, in all but one case, I prefer the working variety
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »
Every day carry is a Swiss Army knife in my left front pocket, the model with the scissors, and a Case trapper in my right front pocket. When I'm hunting I also have my hand forged Skinner on my belt

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2013, 03:04:00 PM »
Love knives (and hawks) as much if not more than trad bows!

Those of you who know me know how many trad bows I have, so what does that say about knives?     :knothead:      :biglaugh:      Have 2 more production knives on order currently, and commissions on two customs in the works as we speak.

May catch me without a bow, or, lord forbid, a handgun - but it's been gonna be a cold day somewhere really HOT before you don't catch me with at least two sharp knives with me.

I use the Sir Edmond Hilary philosophy when my wife asks why I have so many knives - "Because I can!"     ;)    !!
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I've got a small folder I carry with me everywhere, but for hunting, I'll carry two; the Havalon Piranta, and a traditional metsa (forest) knife from Finland.  Both are high carbon, not stainless.  

I've got a bunch of other knives laying about, but the metsa is my go-to knife for forest work; I love it!
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline DamselflyFarm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »
I've had a pocket knife in my pocket continually since I got my first one in Cub Scouts in the late 60's. The current resident is an Old Timer I bought in the 1980's to replace the one I lost that Dad gave me.
Take care,
Jeff

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
I was following Rule #9 long ago...
I always carry my beat up Swiss Army knife, with corkscrew  ;)   , and also a lock back. When hunting just add one of my assortment of fixed blades and we are good to go.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©