3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk about knives..  (Read 790 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk about knives..
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
I always carry my beat up Swiss Army knife, with corkscrew     ;)      
The one with 2 blades, bottle opener/screwdriver,can opener/phillips, scissors, leather punch, toothpick and tweezers? I couldn't get through the day without mine..    "[dntthnk]"

Then when I need a big knife for those situations that only a big knife can handle...the "Defender" Bowie.

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2013, 05:53:00 PM »
I can't understand anyone who goes without a knife of some sort. I normally carry two, a Bench made in the left Pocket and a Mike Franklin hog’s tooth neck knife. Then I add as the need arises. Answer to your first question no there is no cure, but a new knife does alleviate the symptoms for a while.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline shirikahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2013, 05:59:00 PM »
I carry a little gerber liner lock (no pocket clip) that goes in the 5th pocket of my levi's...and an older lockback made by schrade in my back pocket...always.  In the field I carry different knives for different applications, but my Gerber Big Rock is one of my favorite "go to's"

Offline rbcorbitt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2013, 06:36:00 PM »
Paul/KS,

I'm confused    :confused:   .  What would you need a corkscrew for    :thumbsup:
"I would rather be amongst forest animals and the sounds of nature, then amongst city traffic and the noise of man" - A.D. Williams

Offline carpin'mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
I have an older Benchmade Ernie Emerson SpecWar tanto folder that rides perfectly in the small of the back. Like a good friend, its company just comforts the soul.
For the field I have found Kukri style blades are very handy, they can do a good job skinning and for survival they cant be beat.

Offline Day Dreamer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »
Always carry a knife, I have a few for there intended purposes.

Side clip kershaw blur for work
Vintage leatherman for fishing and bow shooting
Have two MLKnives on order neck nife and skinner

Also have a few others, I just love Knives!

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »
I have way to many bows.......I have twice as many knives. I started a small collection back in the early 80's just because I liked old style, fixed bladed hunting knives...like Dad carried. Buck, Schrade, Western, Camillus, Kinfolk, Case, K-Bar and a bunch made in Germany. Still love them, still carry them and now and then get to use them. Pocket knives.....don't get me started.........   :biglaugh:   When stuff comes up on the classifieds I have to look away, I want them all!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Custom Damascus Trapper in pocket.
Hunting  My Dad's old Kinfolk goes with me.

Then I like to go through alot of knives like I go through alot of bows.  I try and support new knife makers by buying their goods. Damascus is my weakness along with character in the Handles.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Sigmazxcs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2013, 07:38:00 PM »
I see I've found a second home on tradgang. All my college friends find me weird because of my obsession, even though I don't own many.
I have a Leatherman Skeletool CX, a Spyderco Endura 4 and a Kershaw Shallot DLC. The shallot is my EDC knife and the skeletool is when go out skating, just as a precaution against nasty branches stuck between the wheels.

I almost bought a Rick Hinderer XM-18 3" for US$520 a month ago. But decided not to get it because of money issues. But recently I chanced upon Will Moon Custom Knives. I've decided to jump a full custom for US$830 by next year.
So, do you think I've caught the knife bug?
Aaron

Offline HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:00 PM »
Leatherman always with me ! When hunting have about 25 to choose from !!!!!!!!!!
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2013, 07:53:00 PM »
I love making knives and am NEVER (unless passing through security at the airport) without at least a small folder in my change pocket.

I wear a scar on the index finger of my left hand that I picked up in 4th grade art class while carving a bear from a piece of soap stone. The school nurse doused it in iodine, put a tight bandage on it and I was back carving again. 'Course that was back in the early 50's when everyone had a knife in his pocket in school. Today, it would have a half-dozen stitches and I'd be taken from the class in handcuffs.

I just finished this one as a donation to a local club.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Here is a Ben Tendick I just received last week. I hope to put it to the test this fall.

And a Randall 25-5

Here are a couple of Keith Murr knives. The bottom one has been with me since 1988 and as you can see from the ATS-34 blade, it has seen its share critters. I've had the top Murr about a year, bought it from Keith at the Dallas Show. It is still safe bound.

And this is a nice Masson that in a moment of weakness, I let get away from me. Wonder where it is now?

I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
I was surprised how many great knives that I accumulated over 48 years of hunting. I gave several knives to my sons but I think that they lost them over the years. I would never sell the knives that I have and I usually carry several knies when hunting. Each has a different purpose. I guess that you could say that I am addicted to my toys (Longbows. Recurve bows, guns and knives as well as fishing equipment.)

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Oh this is a topic that needs to be limited or it will turn into the HH Bug thread.  I am a knife guy, had one in my pocket since I was 5yr. I can't think of a day that I haven't had one in my pocket. I use to get my knew knife fix every other year when I got ready for deployment... always took 4-5... or 7. I would pick out a new one to try out every tour.  Now I have been home for the longest time in a while, so I haven't picked up anything new in a while.
  Like others, I am not tied to one make or another... they are all so amazing.
  Right now in uniform I carry a Leatherman Skeletool on my left and rotate between a Benchmade Griptilian, SpyderCo Native (that they sent me for free while I was deployed), and CRKT early model M4. Most of the time I keep either a CRKT Stiff Kiss, Custom White steel Japanese 3.5" Fixed blade, or a Cold Steel SRK in my KIT bag...
  There is a Sod Buster Jr. that makes its rotation with my pocket changes between Uniform and jeans. That little bugger rides well in the 5th pocket of my Levis. Every now and then she is traded out for a Case Muskrat, or one of the KaBar stag handled Trapper/Muskrat patters I have become addicted to.  I have another Griptilian, a SOG Flash and a larger Endura that rotate into my pockets there.

I also maintain a couple dressier SpyderCo Clip-its for Church on Sunday.

The ones that get me in trouble are in a box in the safe... they have paid their dues, and not been lost after a year or two in the desert or three or seasons in the field.  It's a nice oak box, that houses so many memories.... every time I go digging through it I get caught and have to explain why I can no longer carry these anymore at the risk of losing memories.

...and it is onto the new memories. I have been digging for the the next partner in crime, a 4" fix blade.  Right now I am completely torn: EESE 4, the LaClair Skinner, BHK, Bark River... they are all so amazing. I have actually been trying to talk myself into the Spyderco Bushcraft knife, just to pay them back for being awesome and sending me a free knife.
   All that and I am eventually going to have to find a new tactical Folder.
... and then a large Fixie to replace the SRK...and a Hawk (cause I need one)... and a Skinner(cause I really want one of those Canadian Bird and Trout knives.... oh the list doesn't stop

I guess I better though.
Shootz!

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
I always wanted a Randall......just never could bring myself to spend the money. Once in a while I forget to throw one on my belt or in my pocket when I go out.....when that happens, I feel naked! Great Post, can't wait to hear more!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
Here are 3 Autumn Hunters with extra fancy Honduran Rosewood scales that I recently completed for a customer.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
It truly is a naked feeling.  I  think it grows on people.  I gave my wife a Ken Onion Kershaw when we were dating... she has gone through three of them now, but will not leave home without it.

There are extra knives in every car, just in case... in various sizes from pen knife to Kabar.

Those are some beautiful knives all... too many options
Shootz!

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ron LaClair:

I always carry my beat up Swiss Army knife, with corkscrew      ;)      
The one with 2 blades, bottle opener/screwdriver,can opener/phillips, scissors, leather punch, toothpick and tweezers? I couldn't get through the day without mine..     "[dntthnk]"  

Then when I need a big knife for those situations that only a big knife can handle...the "Defender" Bowie.

[/b]
Still waiting to buy that gorgeous Randall Model 19 off you Ron!!!

I love that knife.
Otto

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2013, 11:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by rbcorbitt:
Paul/KS,

I'm confused     :confused:    .  What would you need a corkscrew for     :thumbsup:  
The corkscrew got me invited to an assortment of on board parties when I was an Engineer on a research vessel back in the 80's. Nothing worse than being out at sea with bottles of wine and no corkscrew...  :D  
It still comes in handy lo these many years later. Heck, I used that handy dandy leather punch/awl yesterday on a quiver that I was making.

And I agree with carrying more than one knife too.  :thumbsup:  That Defender looks awesome..!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©