3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Packing Rain Gear  (Read 403 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Back Packing Rain Gear
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Doing a DIY backpacking elk hunt this fall.  I originally planned to bring my nice set of camo rain gear,  but I started rolling it up to see how it packs and found it is rather heavy.  I'm in the process of cutting things I thought I needed, but probably don't.  I'm thinking of just getting a generic rain poncho.  Anyone with any experience with poncho versus full rain gear?
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline karrow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Packing Rain Gear
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 10:10:00 PM »
check out the Browning rain gear line. my buddy has a nice packable set. his jacket rolls up in a bag not muck bigger then a beer can.
Kevin Day

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
I would say a poncho would be fine.  The one time I went to CO for elk, it rained, snowed, or sleeted everyday (usually multiple times a day), but only once did it rain for more than an hour or so at one time.  We basically hunkered down and let it past, took off the rain gear, and resumed the hunt so I don't see why a poncho wouldn't work.

The packable rain gear that Browning and Cabelas sells should be good also.  But no frog toggs for me!
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
You might consider Cabela's space rain gear. The zippered jacket is about $114 and packs to the size of a coffee cup. The pants are like $84 and pack down to the same size. They ARE light weight, but seem to be plenty strong enough for the occasional shower.

I've done a few DIY Pack in hunts and haven't used rain gear (blessed I guess)... haven't needed it. Those times I packed frog togg pants and jacket... packable, but not nearly as strong when it comes to actual wear in the underbrush.

I'll have the space rain gear this year.

Good luck!
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Lost Arra

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I've used a Golite Poncho that is lightweight and packs down very small. It works fine for sitting out a brief shower but if the rain is for an extended time and you have to do much walking it can be kind of flappy. Also shooting can be a problem if the bull sneaks up on you right after the rain.

Another plus for the poncho is it will cover your backpack so you don't need a separate pack cover.
If you aren't expecting a lot of rain, the poncho is not a bad option but it's easier to "hunt" in a jacket.

Offline eagleone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 10:35:00 PM »
I do a backpack hunt in Colorado every year and as awbowman said I've dealt with all of the nasty weather conditions.   I have a cabelas space rain jacket- I assumed by reading the reviews it would tear- but it hasn't.  On top of that I always carry a poncho, not the 99cent deal but a $10 one- it's heavier and bulkier but I've been in situations where it has proved invaluable.  You probably -could- get away with just that poncho, but if its gonna rain for awhile and i want to do anything besides hunkering down- the poncho gets old.
Get yourself a good pair of pants that dry quick and skip the rain bottoms, or get a set of lightweight gaiters.  Have fun and remember hunt as hard on the last day as you did on the first.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

Online DGW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:37:00 PM »
On my backpack sheep hunt I took Peter Storm rain gear because it was lighter than my mt50.  It rained two days straight and was glad I had it or would of been very wet and cold. I also used it when windy to stay warm.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 10:40:00 PM »
I run cheap mil-surplus, I think Swedish, overalls and a marmot precip jacket.  Have occasionally used the jacket but the pants have only been used on one horribly rainy trip.  I prefer to wait out rainstorms in the tent.  ;)

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:28:00 PM »
Kuiu has most likely the best rain gear, but you will pay for it.  I used the cabelas space rain gear on a Colorado elk hunt and was very impressed with it.  Lightweight, packs small and never ripped, even on a five hour ride out in the dark where I swear my horse was aiming for every tree on the west side of the Zirkel.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:36:00 AM »
I have a set of the Cabelas stuff and it works very well. I also have a set of the Sitka Downpour stuff which breathes considerably better; but does not pack as well and costs a lot more. If I was moving around a lot in the rain and wanted something packable I'd go with the poncho.

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 06:29:00 AM »
It may not pack down to a very small size, but I still like the Cabelas MT50 rain gear...small enough for my pack and wears like iron.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:00 AM »
Cabelas space rain gear is what I have used for many years now,it is always on my backpack. It works wery well and it is tough.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 07:11:00 AM »
For years I hunted in a gortex rain jactet (MTO50)and for the most part it worked out.  However a few years ago I bought some Sitka Gear for my early season Elk hunts.  It is great stuff and I won't wear anything else.  For those time I need something completely waterproff I purchased a set of REI Kimtah pants and jacket.  It is expremely light weight and pacable.  Is has alos been very durable.  It's not camo if that bothers you.  For me I have found that the backpackers and mountineering folks produce a much better product that what is sold to hunters.  Most are way to bulky and heavy.  I usualky by olive drab or even grey works well.  It's a little lound but if I am in rain I do not find it much of a disadvantage.  Now this is for areas that get an occasional rain and somehting I keep in the pack until needed.  Not what I would use on an Alaska hunt.  I hunt CO/WY/UT most years and have faced very little all out rain in SEP.
T ZZZZ

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 07:13:00 AM »
I use the Cabelas also.  I used it on my last elk hunt and it packs down small and light enough that I keep it in my deer hunting pack most of the time also.

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 08:16:00 AM »
I just bought a set of the Cabela's Packable Light weight Rain Gear. Packs very small. last year I used my MT50 Cabela's Stuff but for early season it is a little heavy and does not pack as well. I plan to take the New packable Cabela's Space Rain Gear on this years Nevada & Colorado Early Mule Deer Hunts and New Mexico Elk. I will change back to the MT 50 for my Kansas and later Whitetail hunts.

Good luck to all, Randy Chamberlin
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I have only hunted CO for elk three times, but often we would get an afternoon rain shower.  I think the ponch would work to hunker down under.  But I think I would want rain pants for walking thru wet tall grass and brush after the rain.

I suppose different terrain would dictate what to use.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info guys!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 01:08:00 PM »
I think you are on the right road...I have sets of Sitka Coldfront, the new Downpour series, and the original Downpour series. Last year I did a 10 day elk scouting trip to the Utah backcountry and tried out a poncho.  Worked perfect. It is not typically like Alaska (where you have to live in your raingear for weeks at a time) when you are in the elk mountains.

Online twistedlim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 02:00:00 PM »
Another vote for the cabelas light weight gear.

Offline DarkTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »
For backpack hunts I go with the Cabelas Space Rain also.  I went with the 1/4 zip pull over jacket to save weight.  Like anything else, when you go light weight you give up some durability.  I've been using it for about 5 years and have only ripped one set of pants and it was near the ankle so they were still functional.   Like Steve said, typically they are used to ride out a storm not to hunt in for days at a time.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©