3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looks CAN Kill! (pics of my new beauty)  (Read 640 times)

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looks CAN Kill! (pics of my new beauty)
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
What an awesome looking bow. We have some awesome bowyers. Usually you get a lot more than expected.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline billy shipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2013, 05:24:00 PM »
Paul,

That is 1 beautiful bow. The woods and veneers combined with the Copperhead skins made for a very striking bow.

I've been shooting one of Kirk's Sasquatch recurves for 2 years now and I still say it is the flattest shooting, hardest hitting  bow I've ever picked up.

Congrats on the new bow. I have a feeling that you're going to like it better every time you shoot it.

Billy

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 10:18:00 PM »

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:00 PM »
Very nice P-archer!

Enjoy!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline iohkus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
If you have never shot a Sasquatch(especially one tillered to your draw length)you owe it to yourself to do so .............. BUT............be prepared to fall in love!   :readit:
Hmmmmm. I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I'm
not sure that what you heard is what I actually meant!

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
Iohkus:............be prepared to fall in love!

Amen to that. The last couple of bows that Kirk built and have been posted on here are just real works of Bowyers art. And believe me. Those sexy curves really perform. They go way beyond just looks. But man they do look good. I remember the first time I saw a Sasquatch bow. The look of the bow said this is the real deal. Then I got one and my oh my. I have to honestly say I have to run to keep up with Kirk.

God bless you all, Steve

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2013, 02:01:00 AM »
First of all, happy Father's Day to all the dad's out there.
And thank you all for the kind words.
All this mandatory over time at work has been killing me lately. But I finally got to have a little more quality time with this bow today, and I'm here to tell you, this bow shoots even better than she looks!
I want to have some time behind the string before I get too carried away with the super fine tuning, so I haven't really played with brace or nock height yet. But arrow flight has been pretty good so far with most of the different arrow setups that I've tried. Which tells me one of two things, I got lucky and hit the proper heights pretty darn close, or this is a pretty forgiving bow. Kirk did send the string with a tied on nock that I moved down slightly and I set the brace at 7.25". It shoots so well here, that I could probably take it down lower, but 7.25-7.5" is recommended.
I still don't have the proper spine arrows for the 52# limbs, so I spent my time today getting to know the 47#ers.
Kirk warns you of a couple things when you buy one of his bows. #1, these things perform, and you'll probably have to go to a stiffer spine than normal, and #2, these things shoot flat, so aim low! Both very true statements.
To achieve good flight from arrows that were previously tuned to a 51# bow, I had to shorten them a bit, and drop some point weight. This put me at about 10.5gpp. They flew good and straight, but I couldn't keep them down on the target. I tried some different arrows today that were 12gpp, and that helped. I still had to make an effort to shoot lower than normal, but I could keep them on the target much better. So I thought, "ok, how bad did that just hurt my cast?" I stepped back to 30, and almost shot over the target again. Went back to 40, and did shoot over the target! When I went back to 50 yards, I was shooting slightly down hill, and as I was a little over the arrow, I really got a good view of the cast. I was very impressed with how flat that arrow flew... Right over the target! Lol it's gonna take a little adjusting to, but I'm really liking how these 47# limbs are launching a 563grain arrow. If the 52# limbs launch a 625grain arrow with as much authority, I'll be digging bloodied arrows out of the dirt for sure!
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2013, 02:25:00 AM »
The arrows fly good and flat, and that's all fine and dandy, but how good does the bow shoot, you might ask?
The draw cycle is super smooth, and it points extremely well, but its after the string is dropped that this bow really shines. It's very quiet, and the limbs are timed perfectly. This means that the limbs return to brace or preload at the exact same time, thusly creating no residual vibrations (no hand shock). Which means its super smooth before, during, and after the shot. When you drop the string, the bow sits in your hand just as it was while you were holding at full draw. It doesn't jump around, or cause any sort of excessive follow through. It truely is a pleasure to shoot.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
Paul,

Kirk spends time tuning each bow he makes to save the shooter some effort. His recommended brace was dead nuts on for me... and as you say, QUIET.

I've seen a  few of his High Speed videos where his limbs and string stop nearly DEAD after the arrow leaves the string... there were views of others (un-named of course) that flailed around a good bit.

I'd be curious if you put the nock point back, how much shooting over you might eliminate?  Just curious...

I did share with you I had to go from .400 spine to .340 with the same set up to harness the extra oomph in my Sassy Lady.

You will enjoy the ride...
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 17, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Those vidios of Kirks would sell his bows like hotcakes if they got shown. He ought to post a link to them. BTW one of those bows is one of mine . Problem fixed now but man it did the Watusi. It shot really good and it was fast but now its remodeled extensively and all because of Kirks slow video. This is actually some of the technology that improves the sport or at least the bow building part of it. All that energy that is bouncing those limbs around is being wasted. I just saw a thread where a fairly fast bow posted efficiency levels in the 60s. Kick those same bows up into the 90s and what a difference in performance. In fact Kirk and I were just discussing this and the entire methodology of efficiency rating is about to be challenged ,. That is if you cannot go over what is now 100 percent.

God bless, Steve

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2013, 02:33:00 AM »
Good stuff Steve, thanks for sharing.
Doc, I moved the nock point down while bare shafting some arrows. I agree that it would help a little with my high shooting, but that brought those shafts and arrows together. Like I said, I'm not too concerned with the perfect tune as of yet. I need to narrow down my set up, and get a little more time behind the string. I know I'm close enough now, that broadhead tuning shouldn't be a problem.
I feel confident that my high impacts have been a direct result of the cast of this bow. The bow I was shooting prior to this had much more arch in the flight and, and started dropping much sooner (thus my shooting over the target at longer ranges). I'm confident that a little more time and some stumping will get me right on target.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »
Sounds like a fun problem to have, Paul!!!   :thumbsup:  

Jay Kidwell, in his book on shooting trad, states that the mind's eye will long remember that arc of the arrow...as you say...all you need to do is shoot enough now to IMPRINT a new arc into your coconut computer!

What a delightful problem to have, eh?  :)
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Yup! Now I just need all these over time hours to ease up a bit so I can get after it.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Make hay while the sun shines, Pard!!! these things called "jobs" have a mysterious way of disappearing over night...faster'n money!

Time will come. True love takes time --- the best is yet to come!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
That's a beauty!    :thumbsup:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Ron, Do yourself a favor and get ahold of Kirk and go see him. You will love his bows and Kirk is a great guy to visit with.
God bless you , Steve

Offline Keith Langford

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
Hey Sixby, you got another set of copperheads like that, I am seriously thinkin about letting Kirk do my SS with those, I am not a fan of skins but they look incredible. my riser will be bacote and zebra so it should look really good also. So far the limbs are gonna be black glass so Kirk could paint em up, but we have not come up with a final configuration on that yet, he's still    testin combo's, imagine that.   :saywhat:
John 3:16

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2013, 10:28:00 PM »
I have rattlers and Moccasins. I have one pair of copperheads but they are reserved for a New belly mount Storm Eagle Static. I will check and see if I can find some for you though. Oh I do have a set of canebreaks. Those are some really great skins. I like them as well as the copperheads,. But then I like small rattlers too.

God bless , Steve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
I've got a customer looking for more Corn snake skins too...Keep your eyes peeled for some of those too bro....

Hey Paul.... I've got your riser pattern heading back your way tomorrow...Kirk

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
I believe that Charles Sinclair has some bull snakes that are super cool. You might check out the classifieds under bow making materials. also the sponser adds sometimes have snakeskins. I have bought a lot of snakes from Mike Yancy , Pine Hollow and From Charles. I belive Nolz has some timbers and some moccasins and canebreaks right now. He might have some others too.

God bless you all, Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©