3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carp Preservation...WHAT???  (Read 689 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Carp Preservation...WHAT???
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
Ok I know what you are thinking...Carp are trash fish right and they all must die!  Yeah me to.

But I had a long conversation with a biologist the other day about how beneficial the fish is to our waterways. He stated that yes most of our lakes and streams are overpopulated with them but there are many that are not. He was worried that killing them in these underpopulated places would be detrimental to the entire system. He is promoting if yours is underpopulated not to take any from it.

Penny for your thoughts???
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carp Preservation...WHAT???
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »
Sounds like BS to me.
They're invasive and they compete with our native species and they reproduce RAPIDLY! They have no place here and I don't hesitate to put an arrow through one every chance I get.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:28:00 AM »
idk how they could ever all die off! those suckers reproduce faster than feral hogs crossed with field mice! We nearly completely drained our irrigation lake last year, I mean there was a foot or two of water left by the time we refilled it. Most of the carp and other fish died, but this year the carp are back big time. Don't ask me how, but its as if there is more carp than ever before. I'm calling bologna on that one
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »
Some biologist??  Carp are invasive, in some areas pervasive and will most likely never be totally eradicated, BUT I sure do wonder about this person worries  about said under populated systems??

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
We go to wilderness areas with our canoes and fish lakes that are cleaner than Culligan bottled water.  There are no carp in them.  I am trying to imagine how bad a water source has to be when adding a bunch of muck stirring foreign invaders will improve it.  Lets not forget about those jumping carp, we have them in our local Iowa rivers now as well. When I was a kid the Little Sioux river in Iowa would flow clear and it had seaweed, once we found lillypads even.  Now, especially after all the rain, it is turbid mixture of corn stalks that never rot in the fields, hog poop, and dirt, with some h20 thrown in to keep it moving. Maybe, it needs more carp.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 10:35:00 AM »
Just because someone has a degree doesn't mean all their opinions are scientific!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 11:06:00 AM »
At the risk of going against the grain, I am going to add another perspective;

Who decides that ANY given species is "trash?" And furthermore, what are the parameters for the decision? Because, if it's based on categories like "invasive" and "competing with native species" and "fast reproduction," I doubt there is any species more deserving than our own race.

I don't intend to start an argument, but it seems to me that all living things deserve our respect. Those are my thoughts, and you can keep the penny.
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:27:00 AM »
Carpe diem?

No - Carpe carp.

Seize the carp!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 11:29:00 AM »
Sorry, that sounds like typical 'let's humans reengineer nature' BS.  No thank you Monsanto.  Kill 'em all.  I cannot stand when ignorant people defend invasive species.  We have that here in FL with those danged Muscovy ducks that have threatened our Mallards and other native species.  Too many people think the Muscovys are indigenous and get all bleeding heart about them, feed them and put up "Duck Crossing" signs and such.  Malarkey.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
I doubt that guys ideas will ever become accepted management practice.  Its like saying the everglades are better off with pythons.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 12:24:00 PM »
Are all the carp species non-native?
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »
Well if there are water systems that are truly under-populated with trash fish,  just give it a year or two and your biologist friend will be able to rest easy.   Once they get in,  they are there to stay and will reproduce like crazy.  They are devastating the rivers in Illinois.  Kill em.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline nick straatmann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 12:56:00 PM »
I believe the species of carp the biologist is referring to is the grass carp. Which can be very beneficial to ponds and lakes by keeping the algae levels low and manageable. The big head carp, silver carp or jumping carp are the ones taking over the rivers and streams and threatening other species of fish. Just my thoughts... P.S. Me and a buddy filled a 55 gallon drum with big heads yesterday!

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 01:09:00 PM »
Most algae blooms are caused by elevated nutrients in fertilizer runoff or treated sewage.  A problem we could actual fix at the source if we had the guts.  Carp are not the answer.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 01:10:00 PM »
Is this trad related?

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 01:55:00 PM »
Well it should stay kinda centered on bow fishing the buggers hopefully
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 02:54:00 PM »
Buffalo carp are a native species.

Those are my thoughts, and you can keep the penny.

:laughing:
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 03:33:00 PM »
“The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?”

― Aldo Leopold
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 03:39:00 PM »
I say, they are not going anywhere so let's use the very permissive rules to our advantage and go have some fun!!!! It is a blast, great times for the hole FAMILY as you can just have fun and let the kids get out and shoot and run around outdoors. If you are adventurous with your cuisine as I am then find ways to utilize the resource. They taste great smoked or turned into patties.  They also make great fertilizer and animal feed. Carp is wonderful as crawfish bait, trap line baits etc!!!!
Use them , and enjoy the fun. Bowfishing is one of my favorite things to do as it is , well relaxing and FUN
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
I agree! Kill all you want, just Respect them.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©