3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carp Preservation...WHAT???  (Read 688 times)

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carp Preservation...WHAT???
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 03:51:00 PM »
I am with you on that Don.  Utilize the resource
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
He must have a screw loose or something of sorts.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 04:05:00 PM »
Carp are non-native invasives.  They provide very little benifit to any of our river systems.  You should really be concerned that it is hunter/fisherman money that is paying his salary.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 04:23:00 PM »
Does one (seriously?) have to have a screw loose to respect the game we pursue? ANY game...I can't believe that my mentioning respect for a species would cause alarm to anyone...???!!?
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
They are a non-native species.  Their feeding habits ruined several of the premier duck hunting lakes in western Minnesota to mention only one instance of their destructiveness.  At least in Minnesota it is illegal to return them to the water.

Unfortunately they are now part of the North American environment but an unwelcome and invasive one.  I doubt they could be eradicated in any practical manner.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 04:39:00 PM »
Carp out weigh the number of folks who bow fish for them so I don't think you could ever hurt the population. I say have at it if you like to do that kind'a thing. I just don't know what I would do with them so I don't go very often. Have fun!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Originally posted by don kauss:
At the risk of going against the grain, I am going to add another perspective;

Who decides that ANY given species is "trash?" And furthermore, what are the parameters for the decision? Because, if it's based on categories like "invasive" and "competing with native species" and "fast reproduction," I doubt there is any species more deserving than our own race.

I don't intend to start an argument, but it seems to me that all living things deserve our respect. Those are my thoughts, and you can keep the penny.
Let's take the Florida Everglades:

Invasive/non-native insects established and breeding 1000 plus varieties.

Invasive/non-native animals established and breeding 192 named varieties.

Plants?  There are only 1301 Native species identified.  There are 1392 Invasive/non-native varieties of which about 100 are listed as Category I and 12 of those are at the top of the list for eradication and destruction because of the rate that they spread and the damage they do.

Who identifies threats?  Science

It is a fitting thing to respect plants and animals in their native habitat.  It is also fitting to respect all life on some level.  

Comparing the nature of animals and humans makes for an interesting conversation, but the dangers of developing anthropomorhphic alternative reality is only outweighed by the danger of denying the place of man in the food chain.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 08:10:00 PM »
I had a long conversation with a biologist once about the polution rates in an river because of the low water.  He read me an official release about how the fish were safe to eat three times.  Then I asked him if he was fishing that river. He said "sure, the fishing has been great." I asked "Are you eating them?" He said " Hell no, have you seen what is holding up what little water we have?"  He was referring to a packing plant that was cheating, and two small towns that had permission to dump sewage because their sewer systems were shot. When they were not dumping and the packing plant was not pumping, the river stopped flowing, which isolated the game fish in the deeper holes.  After that year, the game fish numbers went way down and the carp numbers went crazy.  It takes a lot to damage carp numbers.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Yeap I'd say that dude who told you that is living in his own small world. Nothing wrong with that, well yes actually there is! THATS ONE OF THE PROBLEMS with this country. We have become out of touch with what is right and wrong. And if you voice your opinion your radical or politically uncorrect! Bottom line common carp are NOT from this area and determinal to any area around here. PERIOD!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
X2! Gregg Dudley. I am all for respecting nature, but introduced species are one of the biggest scourges of our time. I'd like to know where that fellow got his degree from, we had classes on invasive species management where I studied...
Lucas Kent

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 02:32:00 AM »
Well, guys and gals it depends on what carp he is talking about.  The Buffalo carp and Gar species are indigineous to our water's and always have been.  The Buffalo population's have dropped some, but still plenty.  The German carp (common) which was brought over on the mayflower for food for the journey, and the asian carp are invasive and are what are hurting the aquatic ecosystem.  Why I bowfish so feverishly, that and because I love it.

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 02:42:00 AM »
The way the poster  put it, he was talking about the good old German carp.  Probably, the  biologist did not consider the difference.  There are an increasing number of animal activist types getting into DNR jobs.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:00 AM »
Exactly Toddster. We talked about many of the species. I did begin the conversation asking him about the state of the invasive species in Kentucky. We were mostly talking about the Bigheads as they are the ones I enjoy hunting, but then the conversation morphed into his thoughts on all carp shouldn't be lumped into the same bag and he thought there should be some "off limits" species in certain waterways beginning with our streams only. I told him good luck with getting that one ironed out.

I agreed that some of our streams probably have a low population of buffalos and commons but he would have to prove to me that those streams are "unhealthy".
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »
There is no fish named "Buffalo Carp" there are 6 large species of sucker named Buffalo. The two new species of "Carp" are damaging the populations of our three species more than all the bowfishermen put together.
Lucas Kent

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Originally posted by Lucas K:
There is no fish named "Buffalo Carp" there are 6 large species of sucker named Buffalo. The two new species of "Carp" are damaging the populations of our three species more than all the bowfishermen put together.
Thanks Lucas!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Sounds like the biologist gave you his.
The biologists around here say we have to embrace and preserve the coyote population.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2013, 11:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by TonyW:
Carpe diem?

No - Carpe carp.

Seize the carp!
:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:    :laughing:    :laughing:

Offline KOOK68

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2013, 11:34:00 AM »
The Asian carp are the reason for the dwindling buffalo numbers. They are more efficient filter feeders, therefore out competing the buffalo.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »
I have been bowfishing hard for about 20 years, last ten off my boat.  I have shot in tournament's where we shot over 2,000 in a 24 hour shoot.  Went back the next day and there was still plenty of them.  I find it hard to believe can hurt a population that has estimated at 4 million egg's per spawn.  The silver (asian), bigheads are foster in eco system but are subseptable to oxygen levels of water more than other species.  Though the alligator gar has taken a hit in recent year's mostly do to habitat change, like most of our beloved anaimal's.  just food for thought, all in my opinion of course.

Offline JazsDad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I believe some species of carp are native... but seem to recall that the grass carp was introduced.

Bowfished carp on the St. Lawrence river for years, one of the original St. Lawrence Archers that help start the bowfishing tourny up there... Plenty of carp there...

Invasive species are just that.. invasive.. some do some good, some don't.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©