3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets talk Catskills, NY bowhunting: Antler Restriction  (Read 1059 times)

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets talk Catskills, NY bowhunting: Antler Restriction
« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by WTM45:
Forkhorn or 8ptr, the genes are already there.  Does not matter at what age they breed as to if "good" or "bad" genetics continue in the herd.
Excellent point.    :thumbsup:  

The sole purpose for managing for antlers on a state-wide basis is perceived hunter satisfaction.  There is no significant biological need for that type of management.  If you are not satisfied, let your voices be heard.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Stumpknocker:
AR standards should apply to all ages.  Kids shouldn't be taught that killing a yearling is an accomplishment.  
With respect, I completely DISAGREE with this statement.  Killing a yearling, spike, nub buck, four point, whatever is a heck of an accomplishment for a kid, new hunter, disabled hunter,or anyone that hunts property that is not conducive to large deer populations or antler development.  That's like saying the 8 oz bass a kid catches on his spiderman pole doesn't count.

In some measure, hunter recruitment and retention is based on success. I've been playing this game for about 30 years now and I can tell you that the nubbin buck that I killed with that old 20 gauge 870 wingmaster when I was a teenager is as vivid a memory as any.  It satisfied my youthful bloodlust, fueled my enthusiasm and excitement, made me feel like I was a part of the hunting fraternity, and sealed my future as a hunter.  The deer that my kids killed when they were young served the same purpose.  They were hooked.  Within a few short years my son was self-regulating the bucks that he killed.  

It is not reasonable to expect young people or new enthusiasts to have the perspective that people who have been doing this a while have.

TV and heavy handed QDM will kill hunting.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Knawbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2013, 07:34:00 PM »
Amen Gregg, I respectfully disagreed with that statement also. So many positives as I stated in a previous post. Well articulated Gregg!
HHA 5 lam Cheetah 65" 48@26
HHA W Special 66" 52@26
HHA W Special 68" 56@28
GN Bushbow 64" 56@29
21st Street Chinook 64" 58@28
Kota Prarie Nomad 60" 47@24
You can do a lot of things when you have too W S Butler My Grandfather

Offline ltppowell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
There are three basic rules to deer management.

1) You have to kill more does, if you want more bucks.

2) Where you start, is where you stop. (You will seldom see bucks larger than the minimum allowed, whether it be by age or antler size.)

3)Everybody has to be on the same page. (That's the hard part.)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©