3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: testors paint  (Read 191 times)

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
testors paint
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
Ok guys this is my first time doing the simplest of cresting just to test the compatibility of my finish, paint, glue etc. I just opened the box of testors paint. What is the simplest/ best way to thin the paint considering im new to this? I would hate to goof a whole bottle over thinning it but don't want to waste it pulling it out. Im using a very little on 1/4"shafts for my nephews bday gift. I completed my first arrows yesterday from plain wood. It took me longer than I thought but what fun. Learning a lot as I go. Thanks for any tips. Jim
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Offline WestAussie

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: testors paint
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:45:00 AM »
this may seem odd...... but "window glass cleaner" the blue stuff, use it om my brushes and in my airgun, i use it like water, one small drop to 5ml paint,,, never any more

Offline TonyW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:45:00 AM »
Testor's acrylic or Testor's enamel?

Be careful!

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 01:48:00 PM »
The Testors enamel is all I have ever used, no problems with Minwax Polycrylic Satin for the sealer. Bohning Fletch Tite either regular or Platinum is compatable with the Polycrylic. I tried the  Testors acrylic and did not care for it at all.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 01:49:00 PM »
Doesn't the bottle or the package tell you what to thin the paint with?
If it doesn't, you can get a clue from the clean-up procedures. If it's water and soap then it's a water-based acrylic and you use water to thin it.
If you need paint thinner, lacquer thinner, or something like that to clean the brushes then it's oil-based and probably paint thinner would be good.
As far as not screwing up the whole bottle, just get something small like the twist cap from a water or soda bottle and put a little paint in that. Mess with that to your heart's content and you won't bother the rest of the bottle.

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Jim Picarelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 03:58:00 PM »
I use the Testor's enamel paint and use paint thinner. Just dip my brush in the thinner and then into the paint
67" Hill Tembo, 50@27
67" Hill Half Breed, 53@27
66" Hill Redman, 48@27
66" Hill Cheetah, 55@27
66" Hill Big Five, 50@27

Offline Sockrsblur

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Lake Placid Ironman Triathlete 2011, 2012, 2018
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Its testors enamel paint. It comes with the thinner. I was wondering a drop or two of the thinner for the whole bottle or mix a separate batch each time you crest? The pop cap might be a safe start. Thanks for posting guys!
TGMM Family of the Bow
"Hunt Hard!" Uncle Bud
PBS Member

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:34:00 PM »
I've had my best results without thinning the enamel. I just dip a small dot onto a round brush and smoothly apply, letting it fill in my bands. I've only used gloss, mixed well.

Here's some recent results.

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 09:07:00 PM »
When i used to use the oil based enamel Testors seems like it was about 3-5 drops of thinner to get the paint flowing well in each bottle. The gold and silver metallics used for outlines took less I think. The trick is to get the paint dripping like water. I bought a quart of thinner from Ace it is Xylene. Before I learned how to thin and how to get your lines done quickly and  the brush off the shaft I had a few brushes taken away from me by the shaft and the paint drying too quickly.....  :scared:  

I now use all water based testors, the acrylics and thin with water as needed. Cleanup is a snap and no fumes. Also much more compatible with my other cap dip, glue, and topcoat finishes. JMHO
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jim Picarelli:
I use the Testor's enamel paint and use paint thinner. Just dip my brush in the thinner and then into the paint
Same here, except I use Xylene.
Micah 6:8

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©