3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Outback Daypacken.. Updated Pics!!  (Read 6589 times)

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Outback Daypacken.. Updated Pics!!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »
I am looking forward to this!  love the picts and the story.  it's so fun to see the different animals then what we have where I live.
Derek
got arrows?

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2006, 01:06:00 PM »
Awesome pictures  :thumbsup:

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2006, 02:30:00 PM »
T, Bet I know what you were up to at Shoal Water Bay. Spent a few weeks there myself.

I'm glad you like the pics fellas. I get as much enjoyment out of "hunting" things with my camera as with my bow.

I'll post more asap. Work gets in the way of fun you know...  :banghead:  

al in Oz.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2006, 02:32:00 AM »
C'mon Kidner, ya rascal! I'm holding my breath!
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2006, 05:37:00 AM »
Back again,   :wavey:  , This pic is a Gum Tree that a stag or two has had his way with. I'd hate to be on the other end of a cranky rutting Stag when they do this to our hardwoods.

And the Parrots at the top.

Now back to this fella. This is when I first viewed him. Silking his way through the timber. Than bedded not more than 18/19 yards.

After 5 days of hunting and walking this was going to be my last day "In Country". I'd shot over the back not once but twice on two mornings in a row. Parden the pun but I put it down to not picken a spot. Maybe just one to many spots on these critters! Both animals were no further than 15 yards and the 2nd was just 8! Gee I gotta stop doning that....

:banghead:  

After this lad took a mid morning nap under 20 I just new my luck had changed. The breeze was holding and I'd good cover both in front of me and behind. Now I just waited for Mr Big here to make the next move.

About and hour later he was making sounds like he wanted to head on somplace else. As he stod, I drew, held at anchor and this time picked a spot.

And this is what was left after his departure.

He ran in a flat run for 30 odd yards than stoped to regather himself. I had a grin on me like a rat with a gold tooth! But I had some doubt as to the hit. I lost sight of the arrow in flight due to the sun in my eyes and him jumping at the shot, all this happed in or around 9 o'clock in the morning.

This is where things go all egg shaped. Not wanting to push him I gave him time to himself and lost him in the heavy timbered creek area. At midday I made my way back to the Homestead to get help in finding my Stag. I was sure he was dead as the Blood on the WW head and 12" of footed shaft looked real good & thick.

We look and looked. Drove around in the station Toyota and glassed but still no Stag. Dead or alive. Again my luck looked to be turning bad. Than at 1830 hours that evening I spotted him walking with a group of young stags and I followed behind at a distance.

After glassing him for over an hour and making sure it was the same stag it was bitter sweet for me. Bitter that an animal can take a hit ( seemed to be one lung only?) and leave a bloody arrow only to be still standing 10 hours later without a hint of being sore. The whole time I glassed him, just on dark, he never even looked to want to bed down and rest. Just one tough Hombre?

And sweet to see him live on to battle another day. I called the owner the last night and he has seen the same Stag, still alive and not even with a limp. I was so worried that he'd go off someplace and die but by all accounts he's still going strong.

That's deer hunting for you, one has to take the good with the bad.

In Oz, al
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2006, 07:26:00 AM »
Dang, that's a tough critter. Sorry it didn't turn out better, I'd have bet money a wensel through even one lung would put something down eventually. Thanks for the great pics, hope to see it in person one day.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2006, 07:44:00 AM »
Kidner's Nemesis strikes again! That's bowhunting - it's tough to win. I admire your skill in just getting that close to a deer. Sorry you didn't get the venison and antlers, but that camera work was something special. I know you'll get one someday, and you'll be a bucketful of backflips and somersaults! All the best, and I hope you can manage some more time out there before it gets too wet...actually, are you able to hunt that joint during the wet? Maybe the spear grass will give you some more cover...
Cheers, Ben
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »
Alan... I've been in love with Australia since I was a boy. Missed a chance to go there in 1969 and regret that.

I always enjoy your posts and love your pictures of a beautiful land. What a wild and wonderful place!!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2006, 08:13:00 AM »
Man that a tough-go.  Wish that would have ended better for you.  Thanks for the trip to OZ though.  It's nice to get away now and again. Nice pics.  :thumbsup:

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
well, at least you came away with a great story!
thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed the ride!
Derek
got arrows?

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 12:12:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing your hunt.  Oz is a long way from here and I doubt I will ever get to lay my own two eyes on it in person.  Do you have a long season hunting season?

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 03:06:00 PM »
Thanks lads. I too thought the same thing JC, but not to be. Ready when you are for a visit mate.    :thumbsup:    

Your right too Ben, Nemesis hits the nail on the head. Over a 6 day hunt I had 3 shots at deer and in all my best time in the bush by far.

After talking to a close mate of mine and Outfitter/Guide on these deer, one lung just won't do the number on these lads. The same may be said for African critters as well. A less than perfect hit will cost you some grey hairs.

Oh and we have no hunting seasons here in oz, only on Hog Deer down south as far as I know, but in some areas there looking into it. Just not that many hunters here to make and impact.

In Oz, alan

Offline cdi3d

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 05:17:00 PM »
What a great story - Edge of my seat the whole time - Things have a way of turning out okay sometimes - You have a great story and memories - And the buck lives on to be unted again another day - Thanks for sharing -

Mike

Offline benderofwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2006, 11:47:00 PM »
Greetings from Arkansas; what beautiful pictures; wished I could hunt there 1 time; how much do you pay for license? what are your seasons? how long do you get to hunt? alot of questions but love to learn about other countries; great post and thank you;
Hunt hard waste no meat

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006, 05:36:00 AM »
Bender of Wood, mate I have no need for a license @ this place, all free range. Hunt for as long as you have time on your hands and no seasons on this type of deer.

In Oz, al

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2006, 05:47:00 AM »
Al, I really enjoy your posts bud,always entertaining with great pix. Sorry it didn't turn out better for ya,that's a tough critter to take a WW thru one lung and shake it off like that!!

Take us on another journey in OZ soon.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2006, 05:54:00 AM »
Al,
I love your photos, i like to see different species of animals than I'm use to seeing around home. I would say you have quite a variety of game in your neck of the woods. I suppose we have a lot around here too but yours seem more interesting. I must say that your bow and arrows both look like works of art . Thanks for sharing your adventure it has been very entertaining.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Elksniper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2006, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the PM, I just had to check out the post.  Sounds like you had a great hunt.  I never realized how beautiful it is out there.  I might have to save up and come out and hunt with you one of these days.

Offline jindydiver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2006, 05:26:00 PM »
I love the pics  :)  

Originally posted by Aussie_longbow:
 Oh and we have no hunting seasons here in oz, only on Hog Deer down south as far as I know, but in some areas there looking into it. Just not that many hunters here to make and impact.

Things are changing here though
In Vic there is a red season in the Grampians, and in NSW we have permits and a closed season on reds, hog, fallow, and wapiti.

Mick

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2006, 05:16:00 AM »
Thanks Mick, us Queenslanders are a tad on the slow side...  :p  

al

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©