3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Montana Spot and Stalk Black Bear story complete w/pics  (Read 2053 times)

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Montana Spot and Stalk Black Bear story complete w/pics
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
Randy, is this you from a couple years ago?

I remember it was a spot and stalk hunt and I saved it because I want to take a photo   EXACTLY like that!

Wake up out there in Montana!      :knothead:

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
Ok where was I...

So I know I have to be within 100 yds of this bear(s). I am on the south end of one of many little knobs on this ridge.  The Bear is to my north and I chose to work around the knob just down from the top along the west side to prevent being skylined and work with a wind that is generally out of the north-northeast.  I make it about 50 yds in 10 minutes or so when I notice the wind has swapped directions and is now on the back of my neck.  Cursed!! I am wondering if the bear(s) havent been scattered to the wind already, maybe I am stalking an empty knob.  I had stopped for a good few minutes wondering what if anything I should do.  Then, coming from just up above me I hear one of those bear noises that makes the hair on your neck stand up and your whole body break out in goose-bumps. "ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku".  And this was close.  Maybe 30-40 yds just above me on top of the knob.  It was so close I fully expected to see some kind of movement any second.  Maybe even a bluff charge. I was frozen in place, bow in one hand and pepper spray in the other.  Over the next five minutes I just stood there listening to this bear repeat the same noise some 10-15 times.  What the heck was going on? My mind ran through some possibilities.  Then I hear the tell tale noise of claws on tree bark.  A few minutes later I hear it again.  It dawned on me to look up into the tree tops and then I see them.  Two big cinnamon cubs about 40 feet up.  They were in a large standing deadfall.  The tree a victim of a forest fire.  So of course I am thinking that I am the cause of all this ruckus and decide to take some quick video of the cubs and then back-out a little ways and regroup.  Well I didnt make it 50 yds when I decide to circle this knob along the East side this time because I really wanted to get a look at mom...just because.  I mean, she hadnt charged me yet and I was so close before.  I could still see the cubs plain as day up in that tree about 50 yds away.  I worked in a semi- circle around to the east side when I bump head on into a Dark Chocolate colored black bear.  "Holy Smokes theres one right there!" He was probably 35 yds, on my level, and slowly working right toward me.  Is this the Sow?  I wondered.  I had a hunch it was not but you cant shoot a bear on a hunch with cubs so close.  All I had to do was turn my head 90 degrees left and there they were still in that tree-top.  Then Mom bear cleared things up for me with one of her angry vocalizations.  "ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku-ku".  I still couldnt see her but from where her noise came from she was obviously guarding the base of that tree and her cubs.  So now the picture was complete in my mind.  This whole episode with the angry Sow was not due to me at all but was directed at this Chocolate Boar directly in front of me.  Maybe she was just now coming back into heat as her cubs were pretty big.  50 lbs apiece I'd guess.  Or maybe the Boar wanted to kill the cubs so she would come into heat again.  In any case I was in the middle of this little daytime drama.  Talk about Living the Dream!!  This was unreal!

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2013, 11:55:00 AM »
Incredible hunt! This is good stuff    :campfire:
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2013, 12:01:00 PM »
:campfire:

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
This one is keeping me on the edge of my seat waiting for the next chapter....

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2013, 01:16:00 PM »
So this "Boar" has been right in front of me for a few minutes but he is basically just muddling around, but he is coming closer...just taking his sweet-ol time about it.  I started glancing around at my feet to look for dry branches to avoid.  I tried to think about where a shot might happen.  It didnt look good in that regard.  A big line of trees went from just below me straight to the bear.  If he stayed below it I wouldnt get a shot until that bear came all the way under and just past me.  If he stayed above the tree-line he'd be funneled  right at me and would surely see me at some point. Well he came up between a few of these trees and it looked like we were going to bump heads. Then something he liked the smell of caught his attention. He turned to his left and opened up his right flank.  "Dang" I thought.  "If it werent for those few limbs sticking out from that one tree which are barely covering his vitals I would actually have a 20 yard shot right now". I am asking myself if I dare take that one big step that would open things up for a shot. I do...and I did.  With his head down he didnt pick me off and there I was with a great, clear, shot opportunity.  At full draw he still had his head down and I managed to really bare down and not rush my aim.  "Thummmph"....."Zip".  Right through him it looked like. Good location. He flipped around 180 degrees and stood still for 5 seconds.  Then he started toward my direction and it looked like his left rear leg sagged a bit and then he took off running going right underneath me. I had another arrow on the string but decided not to shoot at the sprinting bear.  I watched as he dissapeared over the ridge top and tried to listen hard.  I was interupted by some loud crashing behind me and turned to see Momma finally decided to show herself.  She had apparently heard the Boar run off and decided to give chase.  She ran right at me until about 20 yads away and locked on the brakes.  She had a cinnamon lower half and was more blonde along her back.  Gorgeous. She looked at me briefly and then turned and ran back to her cubs huffing as she went.  I fired up the video camera and showed where the boar was standing and where he ran off to etc, etc...then I panned left and zoomed in on the cubs one last time...still up in that burnt-out tree.  Freaking beautiful!!

It was a great and short blood trail to my boar.  Maybe 100 yds. I was still holding my breath as I lifted this bears leg to confirm the sex.  I of course was praying for a large set of testes...no teets please.  Phew!...he was indeed hung like a...well you know....a bear, or Boar.  :thumbsup:  

He was plenty big for me and had a great coat. No rubs.  Pictures, skinning, quartering came next and it was pretty dark when I was done.  I managed to haul everything a few tenths of a mile downhill from the carcass with my Bison Gear pack.  I really couldnt even stand up straight though.  When I came to a point where I had to move uphill through a fair amount of blowdown I had no choice but to drop the quarters.  I was really struggling just standing up.  By now it was pitch black and I was navigating by headlight.  I thought I was on the correct finger ridge that I had used to hike up the mountain but where one ridge splits into two I took the wrong one.  By the time I realized my mistake I had put my already tired self in a bad spot. I was forced to march toward the adjacent ridge which meant going down then up.  The "up" portion being a few hundred vertical feet of north facing, steep, nasty, old burn blowdown city.  I was exhausted by the time I got to the correct ridge that would take me down to the car 1.5 miles away.  At one point I almost gave up due to all the crawling over logs, the slipping and falling. It was 11 pm and I felt like building a fire and waiting for daylight.  It was a warm night.  At some point in that hell whole I lost my leafy ASAT jacket from the straps on top of my pack. (see classifieds  :D  ) Dang, that coat had been good to me for a number of years and I was in no way going back to look for it.  I pushed through and got to the car at 12:10 AM. By the time I got to where I could use a cell phone it was almost 1 am.  My wife was indeed worried to say the least and to prove it my wonderful In-laws were at my house keeping her company while she waited to hear from me.  Yeah, thats right!  The fact that I was coming home a success and also safe and sound, she wasnt too hard on me.  After all it was my own fault texting her about the Grizz encounter.  "[dntthnk]"  

Next day it was back up the mountain with a good friend to collect the quarters. They were undisturbed.

So thats how I killed my 3rd Montana Spot and Stalk Black Bear.  Hard to believe its been 5 yrs since I got my last.  They truly are very special hunts for an awesome, largely undisturbed, wild animal.
And they dont come easy...just like folks like you and me like it!!

Gang.
Thanks so much for listening to my long winded story.  A great hunt like this needs written down. After-all, they happen so rarely in one hunters lifetime.

Best to all.
Randy.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2013, 01:23:00 PM »

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »
Great story! Enjoyed every minute of the read. Sounds like an awesome hunt. And a very beautiful bear.

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
Randy, Thanks for the play by play! I love it! Beautiful bear and what a hunt!!  :clapper:
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2013, 02:05:00 PM »
Thanks for sharing, congrats on the beautiful trophy!!

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »
That is AWESOME!!!  Congrats on a beautiful trophy.   Sounds like it couldn't have happened much better.  Hunts like that are what it's all about.   Thanks for sharing.  Real nice bear.
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
:notworthy:    :clapper:    :clapper:  Great job Randy.  Felt like I was right there with ya.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2013, 03:10:00 PM »
Now THAT is how you do it! Way to go! Beautiful bear!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 03:25:00 PM »
That is a brute my friend great bear.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Great hunt,congrats!!!
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Great job Randy!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 03:37:00 PM »
For those that believe bait and/or hounds is the only possible way to take a bear - nice job Randy!
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline stykbow67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »
WOW!! What an intense hunt to say the least! Your absolutely right, this hunt had to be shared with the rest of us! Thank you  :thumbsup:  

Steve

Offline coconutdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2013, 03:50:00 PM »
Fantastic story and what a bear, congrats!
Someday you'll regret the things you didn't do.
Michigan Bowhunters  (life member)
Michigan Longbow Assc.
NRA  (life member)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©