3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WooHoo! Got drawn for speed goat in NV!  (Read 375 times)

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
WooHoo! Got drawn for speed goat in NV!
« on: June 15, 2013, 02:03:00 PM »
Well, my dad did actually, but my brother and I are going as support and extra eyes.  He got drawn for unit 011, pronghorn antelope.

I've been researching and it seems that the area south of Sheldon game preserve is the most promising, from Sage Hen Spring south to Massacre Lake, west of Fatty Mtn.

Anyone have any tips for unit 011 or other areas to check out?  I doubt we will be able to get out of state before our trip to scout, so I'm doing lots of homework.

I plan on doing some predator calling and small game while I'm out there, my brother will likely do the same, but our primary goal is to bag a 'lope for dad.
-Xander

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WooHoo! Got drawn for speed goat in NV!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Not been there in years.  Find some green on google earth and start there as water must have been there.  We are like you in CA, DRY, already.  Find a water source off quad roads.  
Some others may have specifics.  Sheldon is the antelope place according to some, and good luck
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
Yeah, that's what I've been focusing on.  The area I decrib is south of Bald Mtn. Ridge and a decent sized plateau.  Two perennial water sources limiting it north/south.

I was thinking of starting near Vya and really searching in expanding radius from there.  I have also heard that Sheldon is the place to go.  I initially started my research on the western boundary then continued south to the border of 012.

Lots of homework to do, and thanx!
-Xander

Offline Air Cleaver

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 11:42:00 AM »
Good area lot's of goats, you should have no problem spotting them. You can see them off the road just N of McGill. Getting close is another issue. Ask some of the locals where the waterholes are as there are many cattle troughs around, maybe you can get permission to set up around one of those. Good Luck!
SEMPER FI!        
 Montanna 50# Bear K Hunter 45#
           Bear Super K 45#
           Bear Kodiak Magnum 40#
           Redwing Hunter 49#
           55&58 Bear Polar 49&46#
           Caribow Tuktu EX 50#     
            JT Traditions Storm 45#

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »
Congrats! Good hunting!
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Xander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Air Cleaver - thanx for the tips.  McGill, though, is in the complete opposite corner of the state!  Unit 011 is only about 650 miles^2.  Bound by CA to the west, OR to the north, Sheldon Game Preserve to the east and highway 8A to the south.

Only about 5% of the land is private up there, mostly around the larger lake shores with a few out in the middle.

The area I am looking south of Bald Mtn. Ridge has a lot of small springs feeding the lakes there, its on the south slope with lots of trees on the slope and open plateau before th lake basin.  I just need to find out what the major vegetation is in the specific area I am looking at.  I hoping lots of black sage and juniper in the open areas.

I have been using Mytopo.com for custom map detail of the specific areas I'm looking to hunt.  Seems promising!

Keep the info coming!

And thanx VH, looking forward to it!  My brother, dad and I have not all been hunting/camping together in maybe 12 years now, I'm really excited about it.
-Xander

Offline T-Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
Congrats, sounds like you will have a great time.   :bigsmyl:
William

JD Berry Valor 66” 45@28
Great Northern Bush Bow 62" 47@28"
Traditional Bowhunters of Florida

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©