3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wicked wicks?  (Read 15914 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wicked wicks?
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:00 AM »
I just pulled my cams.  Had a set of wicks up for 2 months and no bucks even looked at them.  Could be the area, or the god aweful fl heat.  Dunno.  I'm glad some of you are getting some action.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »
Now is the best time to start them, not pull them. The bucks should be coming out of velvet very soon. The part 2 of the article Gene wrote should be up on the Brothers of the Bow site soon.

Offline rooster77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Part 2 is on there site. I've had bucks checking rope within 5hrs. of hanging them.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us.  "Lonesome Dove"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by Herdbull:
Now is the best time to start them, not pull them. The bucks should be coming out of velvet very soon. The part 2 of the article Gene wrote should be up on the Brothers of the Bow site soon.
Didn't pull the ropes, just the cams.  Tired of havind 100s of $ out in the woods doing nothing.  Might still hunt the ropes, but they didn't even get a second glance from does walking right under them...

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
Gringol - How high are you hanging them?  You said. "walk right under" and if they cannot bump their nose into the wick w/o lifting their head they are set to high per Gene's findings and certainly what I have discovered.  I have been getting a lot of attention from bucks and does in high pressure Michigan properties and I am looking forward to what happens after the velvet comes off.  I do get plenty of walk by deer that seem oblivious but many, many deer have taken a sniff.

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
OK, Getting a late start with this I know, but I have a few questions.

Can I pick the spot to hang the rope or should I hang it over a previous scrape area?

I have some good old fashioned rope but it smells like, well, old fashioned rope. Do I need to de-stink it or get some new? Will any kind of absorbent rope work or is one kind what I need to find?

All my trail cams went bye bye so what do you all suggest to monitor the action?

Thanks all
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline 2treks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2013, 08:17:00 PM »
OK, I just read pt2  and that answered most of my questions. I guess I need some trail cams but I have no clue what is what with them any more.
Any suggestions?
C.A.Deshler
United States Navy.
1986-1990

"Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.”
~ Francis Chan

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »
Bobby, I have them about 3ft from the ground, waist high.  Part ofthe problem is probably just a lack of deer traffic in general.  We don't have anywhere near the deer density you have.  The locations I selected could be marginal as well.  I had deer on camera about every 3 or 4 days before I pulled the cams.  Anyway, they haven't been great for me.  I'll try again next year.  I've only been hunting this are for 2 years, so I'm still figuring it out.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2013, 11:47:00 AM »
I put a wick up along a path I have seen this guy on.  (Hard to see the wick in the pic, behind him.)  Looks to be on the same schedule this year.  I put the kids on the bus at 7 so he is always 15 minutes ahead of me.  Just glad to see his face again this season!

"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Going out to check my wicks this weekend, but this time with a bow in hand and a tag in my pocket!!!!

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2013, 11:04:00 PM »
All our deer activity around here is way down and has been for over a month with this heat. I tend to think most deer are bedded about 90% of the time in the high temps, even at night. They are definitely not moving far. I even had a couple cameras on waterholes with minimal activity. I'm assuming they are getting enough moisture from morning dew. I'm only getting 10% of the photos I was getting last year at this time. The velvet is being shed daily. With that being said and our forcast predicting cooler temps and a good chance of rain, I expect to see much more deer activity within a week. Its about time. I have in fact had some really nice bucks on the wicks so far, just not as many. Things will pick up.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2013, 04:42:00 PM »
Have attached sections of wild grape vines to  higher hanging limbs but never tried them with lures or mock scrapes.

If in the right place bucks will take it over natural scrapes where the licking branch/hanging limb got tore up, (wore out so to speak) if in a great place and didn't want to loose the spot. Used to cut branches to replace the tore up broken hanging limbs until trying the wild grape vines which they naturally like year round as licking branches. Have actually cut wild vines in strategic places hoping deer would take it over.

The rope is an interesting concept and have been meaning to acquire some and lure and give it a try, thanx for sharing...

The flexibility of the rope seems interesting to many critters from folks camshots, (that bear video is cool) but to acquire rigidity, or change it up with a grape vine and maybe tie a knot of the cotton clothes line at the bottom for the lure wick... Just a thought... Wild vines are very abundant in my area and cheaper than heavy thick rope and killing a vine may save a tree...80)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2013, 06:03:00 PM »
I've had mine out for several weeks now. The first 2-3 times I checked the camera and freshened the wick I used the eye dropper method. Deer are coming by but paying no attention to the wick.

So twice now (freshened again just yesterday) I dipped the tassel in the lure. After the first dousing still no attention.

Still, I have a stand in a tree about 10 yards from the wick and should get a shot.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

The wick is just about 2 ft in front of this buck. It was as close as he got.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2013, 06:09:00 PM »
I had to put in a T-post and rig a piece of rebar to it to hang the rope. I did it this way because I wanted a wick where I already had a tree stand set up. There wasn't a suitable branch to hang it otherwise.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »

I have pics of 5-6 different bucks but not the big guy I have seen out there whom I have named Rudy, short for Rudolph, as in Valentino. He's perty.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2013, 09:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Justin Falon:
It will change the way you hunt big bucks for the rest of your life. Try it.  

Buy a bottle and try it. IT WORKS!!!!!

Justin
Hello, Justin.
Sounds to me like you have tried the wicks. Just curious what diameter rope you used?
Thanks.
Kevin

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: October 02, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
Little update from opener.  I was in my stand and a little buck came in following a doe.  he walked right up to the wick and took a sniff presenting a point blank shot.  I didn't shoot but it worked just a described and I had not refreshed that wick in over a month.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:00 PM »
I hung one over a salt lick, big bucks, little bucks, does, and fawns.  So far one fawn worked it over since the 1st of Sept.

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: October 02, 2013, 08:09:00 PM »
check out this action!!
this was the same afternoon we put the wick out!!

the this lil' guy showed up

then this guy--

there are numerous pictures of does w/fawns
most noticed the rope and a real mature looking doe rubbed it

this action was all the first week--i'm hooked
Mike

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©