3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wicked wicks?  (Read 15911 times)

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: wicked wicks?
« Reply #80 on: October 03, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
I wonder why my deer are pretty much ignoring the wick. I have no pics of anything actually putting it's nose on it.

The buck in the pic above might be kinda sniffing in it's direction but that's about as good as it gets.

I haven't checked it in over a week because I want to hunt the stand near it soon.

I was just putting a dropper full of scent on it the first three or so times I refreshed it. The last couple of times I doused it with no change in it's use.

I had the rope for several months hanging outside incase there was scent from handling on it and I only handled it with gloves on and transported it in a plastic bag.
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: October 03, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »
I didn't have a proper tree limb to hang it from where I have a treestand in place so I drove a T-post in the ground and rigged up a length of rebar to the post. Do you all think that makes any difference?

I should have a limb on the other side of my stand that I could hang a wick from. It would make for a more difficult shot though.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: October 03, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
The rope in Bamboo's pictures was not handled with much extra care.  We bought the rope same day, it smelled oily out of the package so Mike's son dragged it on the forest floor from the truck to the site.  That helped descent it slightly, but there was still an oil smell.  No rubber gloves, just bare hands.  We loaded the rope up with 10-12 drops of scent.  I think the key is to put it in a place that has deer going through already. You're not trying to attract a deer to somewhere they don't normally go, just get their attention.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: October 03, 2013, 10:39:00 AM »
maybe you need a bear cub to swing from it first!
Mike

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: October 03, 2013, 10:43:00 AM »
These deer coming through are paying no attention to the wick. They are coming through incidentally and paying no attention to it.

Note the picture at the top of this page. This is the closest any of the deer, in the pics that I have, have come to the wick.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2013, 10:53:00 AM »

Another example.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »

And another. They aren't exactly paying "no" attention, but nothing like other peoples pictures show.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2013, 11:38:00 AM »

The very next photo in the series.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2013, 12:59:00 PM »
Is this stuff geared toward white tails only? Anyone try it on west coast black tails? It could also be because the archery seasons are so hot, but I have the toughest time getting bucks to do just about anything other than kicking them out of bed.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
People have pics of bears, (see above), mink, raccoon, etc checking out the wicks. I don't see why other of the deer family wouldn't check it out also.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline TraditionalGuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: October 03, 2013, 04:12:00 PM »
If you've ever hunted blacktail, you wouldn't ask that question. Those boys are sneakier and harder to kill than any other deer out there. Except perhaps during the rut, which you can't hunt in California save for the occasional lucky draw. It might also count as bait, which is also illegal in California, but I'm not too sure on that matter.
“For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.”
H. L. Mencken

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: October 03, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
The scent is not suppose to draw deer to it. It just captures their attention if they happen to be walking by.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »
are you guys buying the buck or doe one? i'm wanting to try a couple of these in my area just not sure which one to choose. I see the advantages of both.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
I only see one pre orbital lure---
I think this is it
 http://smokeysdeerlure.com/preorbital.html
southpawshooter and I will be pulling cards
tomorrow-hope ther's more to post--been real hot though......
Mike

Offline southernwoody

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »
if you scroll down on that page it will give you a type option for buck or doe. just wondering what would be the best option. I've got 10 bucks coming to one stand and a few does but mainly at night or really early morning hoping that maybe I can give them another incentive to come out. also try to catch a few cruisers from some other areas on my land.
SUA SPONTE
68" viper deluxe long bow 50#@28"
64" hickory self bow 50#@28"
60" pronghorn 3 piece R/D long bow 63#@28"

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
I was in the stand opening morning with a wick out front that had not been "refreshed" in over a month and I only put a couple drops on the rope when I do refresh it.  Had a forkie walk right up to it and stick his nose on the wick just like advertised - thank you Gene.  He got a pass but was posed perfectly for me.  Not sure why it is not working for others but I would try axing the rebar set up and hang it from a tree branch.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: October 15, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I decided to try a little twist on this and had asked Gene his opinion.  I wanted to try zip tying a Qtip to a branch and applying the smokey's preorbital to it after making a fake scrap below it , since Gene mentions adding tension to the rope with a thin stick.  Well I went out on 10/05 and did this in an area that I know is a doe staging area just inside the woods near an inside field corner.  I set a trail cam up after I had attached a Qtip to a branch that was approx. 32" high and went and pulled the SD card this afternoon.  Well I got approx. 70 pics of does and button bucks coming straight to the Qtip and fake scrape smelling it, some licking it and some rubbing against it (the Qtip).  Freshened the Qtip and plugged a new card in.  Now I just need a few good bucks to visit.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline Beto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2013, 12:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by East Coast archer:
.... wanted to try zip tying a Qtip to a branch and applying the smokey's preorbital to it ...Now I just need a few good bucks to visit.
Sounds likes nice and easy way to use them. So then, what is the 'science' behind using the rope?

I just got some and getting ready to use them, the QTip methods sounds much less hassle free to me, but don't know if I will be loosing any advantage from having the rope.
Beto
Beto Carrillo

A&H Two-piece longbow / Shrew Lil' Recurve / Black Swan Three-piece Recurve

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: October 20, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Mine has been out two weeks now and this is what I've seen so far.

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:00 PM »
Den,
Going to pull the second card tomorrow and will let you all know how it's doing.  Only thing I can think of is the rope will hold more scent, possibly longer, but the Qtip seemed easier.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©