3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: wicked wicks?  (Read 15907 times)

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
wicked wicks?
« on: June 16, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Read an artcile by the Wenzels the other day about making licking branches from rope soaked in smoky's preorbital.  Just looking for a bit more info.  Anyone tried it?  Did it alter deer's patterns at all?

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: wicked wicks?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 11:49:00 AM »
It will change the way you hunt big bucks for the rest of your life. Try it.  

Buy a bottle and try it. IT WORKS!!!!!

Justin
Hill

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 12:02:00 PM »
Gene has an article out on it in bow hunter magazine... Google wicked wicks by gene Wensel you should find it there ...believe me you will have every deer in the area checking it out
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 06:40:00 PM »
Sounds good.  Anyone else?

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 07:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by pred80:
Gene has an article out on it in bow hunter magazine... Google wicked wicks by gene Wensel you should find it there ...believe me you will have every deer in the area checking it out
Is that issue out yet? Gene told me at the Ky Tradfest it would be in the July issue of Bowhunter and I no longer subscribe to Bowhunter.I am wanting to obtain a copy.
Bear Grizzly 58"        38 lbs@29"
Black Widow PCH III 60" 44 lb@29"
Black Widow PLX 62"     45 lb@28"
Kentuckian Flatbow  60" 55 lb@28"

Offline PRK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 07:17:00 PM »
Google it, it's online.
Paul

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by PRK:
Google it, it's online.
An article came up but I already had downloaded it back in December.I think the latest one may contain some new information but would have to see it to be sure it is different.

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
I'm curious about this too. How much does it cost to start a couple of these? I'd imagine you'd need a lot of the pre orbital lure and I'd also image it's not cheap.
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
It's like 25 bucks for 2 ounces

Offline Kamm1004

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Does the article tell how much it will take to soak the rope? I'm looking for it now but I would think you'd need more than 2 ounces
Now then, get your weapons, your quiver and your bow and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me.- Genesis 27:3

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
$21.95 for 1.25 ounces is alot of $ to me. I don't doubt it works though. I've read other success stories and testimonials on their website.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
I'd like to try it, but on public land, having big pieces of rope hanging from trees would be like a lighted billboard for others to come check things out.
Private land would be great.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
I just put out my rope sets this weekend. I will start doctoring them up with Smokey's pre-orbital and interdigital gland at the end of next month some time. I'm curious to see what I get on the trail cams. This will be my first year using Smokey's and wicked wicks.   :coffee:

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
Guys I believe Uncle Gene found that you only need about a drop of lure per rope. 2 oz would go a long way in that scenario.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
Part 1 of the articles was in the Sept. 2012 issue of Bowhunter. It is reprinted on our brothersofthebow.com website. Part 2 is in the July issue of Bowhunter on newsstands right now. Part 2 concerns my findings after using it all fall and into January. I made some mistakes and covered them in the article. Part 2 is not on our website yet since the article out now hasn't run its course in the magazine. They used over 40 photos in the part 2 piece. I used way more lure than necessary. Now I only put a few drops on the wick end. Hold it vertical downside up while it soaks in. I freshen every ten days to two weeks. It will not draw in deer like a bait, nor keep a buck from crossing a fence nor will it pull a buck tending a doe BUT lone bucks cruising past will almost always stop for a sniff right where I need them to. Well worth the time and effort. I'm not putting any out until July this summer. I went through a lot of trail cam batteries with does, fawns and half grown bucks last year between May and July. After July it will tell you what you have on the menu. Have fun.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 08:41:00 AM »
/www.brothersofthebow.com/html/wickedwicks.html
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »
I read the article on line and just two weeks ago put out two wicked wick set ups. I have a third cam over a natural licking branch that gets hit year around with nothing man made about it. I was surprised to see small bucks started sniffing the wicked wicks the first few nights out! Very pleased with the set up.The second cam card pull was less dramatic but maybe it was just a bad week. Anxious to see how this goes but I'm loving it right now. Still haven't got pics of the two boys I want to see but I'm sure they will turn up. I do know they made it through the season and winter though as I got pics of them sparring still with their head gear on March 27th!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
What Gene says!!!

I put out 1 wick. Maybe 3 drops on that wick and had one buck after another after another cruising in an area I never thought a big buck would be!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to try it. One bottle of lure will last you a longtime. Don't get carried away.

justin
Hill

Offline Craig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 08:55:00 PM »
I'm trying it right now, but the bucks are not even looking at them. They just walk around them. What can I be doing wrong.
Schafer Silvertip

Offline Junglecat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gene Wensel:
Part 1 of the articles was in the Sept. 2012 issue of Bowhunter. It is reprinted on our brothersofthebow.com website. Part 2 is in the July issue of Bowhunter on newsstands right now. Part 2 concerns my findings after using it all fall and into January. I made some mistakes and covered them in the article. Part 2 is not on our website yet since the article out now hasn't run its course in the magazine. They used over 40 photos in the part 2 piece. I used way more lure than necessary. Now I only put a few drops on the wick end. Hold it vertical downside up while it soaks in. I freshen every ten days to two weeks. It will not draw in deer like a bait, nor keep a buck from crossing a fence nor will it pull a buck tending a doe BUT lone bucks cruising past will almost always stop for a sniff right where I need them to. Well worth the time and effort. I'm not putting any out until July this summer. I went through a lot of trail cam batteries with does, fawns and half grown bucks last year between May and July. After July it will tell you what you have on the menu. Have fun.
Thanks Gene.I knew you said you had some new information you were gonna include in the latest article.I am gonna pick one up as soon as I can find it on the newsstand.I seem to remember you also said several other species of animals will also check the wicks out to.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Kodiak Fan and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©