3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How to try a hill style bow?  (Read 284 times)

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
How to try a hill style bow?
« on: June 16, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
Hi All,

I am thinking about buying a hill style longbow, but don't want to spend the money on a bow I might hate shooting. I'd like to try one first, but at the 3 trad. shoots I've been to in the past year, I haven't seen a single one in the poundage range I shoot. Does anyone know if any bowyers that make hill bows offer a test period, or does anyone have any ideas where I can test a Hill style bow? Any tips would be great. Thanks.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How to try a hill style bow?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 04:09:00 PM »
If I still had one on the rack I would let you test drive it.....but alas I have sold or traded  mine all off and I don't have one right now....I like 45#. Not sure if ant bowyers offer a test drive program for that style bow!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »
Should be lotsa' Hill aficionados in your area; Mudd is the high priest of the Hill coven maybe he knows?

Offline bsv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 04:41:00 PM »
where about in N.Y. are you? I'm in the finger lakes and took the plunge just a couple months ago, ordered a Dave Johnson. been shooting it 2weeks or so,you could come over if your close,it would be fun having someone to shoot with. Burt
R/D's soon to come

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 08:29:00 PM »
Hey Burt,

I'm in the Rochester area. How heavy is your Dave Johnson? I like anything between 45-55# but under 50 is preferred. It would be cool if we could shoot sometime. Any chance you'll be going to the Hawkeye trad shoot this August?

Thanks for the offer Ron, That's my favorite draw wight as well. Thanks.

Jon

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
I'll most likely will get another ....ya never know!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Moots

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
I don't have one right now either, but I often see them for sale on TradGang.  I bought a Hill, shot it for awhile, and sold it for close to the same price.  Good luck!

Offline Ifrit617

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 03:15:00 PM »
Yeah that might be my best bet to buy a cheap one off the classifieds and re-sell it to buy my own new one if I like it.

Jon
Quinn Comet 40#@30"

Offline wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 06:41:00 PM »
The classified are a good option.  I would try to find a traditional 3d shoot or club nearby.  Shouldn't be too hard to find someone shooting one and ask if you could try it out.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:10:00 PM »
Buy mine cheap!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©