3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ASAT camo  (Read 1010 times)

Offline dakota tim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: ASAT camo
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I was a skeptic reading comments like the ones above.  But I bought a 3-d suit last year & I'm a believer now!  Critters just don't see you at all.
What was big was not the antlers, but the chance. What was full was not the meatpole but the memory of the hunt.    --Aldo Leopold

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
Dayone also has it- in wool too!  Best pattern out there.  Works on turkeys in the right time of year.  It is too light IMO in mid-late spring here in KS.  Otherwise- I wear it ASAT.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline electric blues

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2007, 10:02:00 PM »
How about a single negative opinion? I don't own it so I dunno, but I could think of many.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2007, 10:15:00 PM »
It isn't a good pattern if you hunt a tree stand in a pine tree with limbs around you, too light for all the dark green around you. It is at it's best on the ground in a hardwood forest.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by electric blues:
How about a single negative opinion? I don't own it so I dunno, but I could think of many.
Primary negatives, it cost too much for what it is and isn't widely available in a variety of fabrics.

I still want some.   :)
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline Louutah

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
A great pattern! A negative? according to their website they are sold out of or not in stock on just about everything they list.  A bad time of the year to be low on inventory......I still need some more however.
Shrew SS Gold 51#@28
Bear Montana 60#@28

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
ASAT works for me...I have a lot of confidence in this camo pattern.

Offline Mitch-In-NJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
I'll add to the general agreement that ASAT is a great pattern.  I mentioned how a bluebird landed on my shoulder in another thread.  I use the 3D suit for deer, geese, crows and turkey.  Saves me needing a blind in most cases.  I have had turkeys walk right next to me and not see me.

I have two suits, one a size too large for wearing over cold weather clothes.

And the BDU pants and the long and short sleeve jerseys are great, too.  I wear them mostly when hunting doves but also for stalking.  The 3D suit does tend to get hung up alot on stickers.

The parka they offer is pretty nice.  Waterproof outer with a removable inner that can also be worn as a jacket.
"The encouragement of a proper hunting spirit, a proper love of sport, instead of being incompatible with a love of nature and wild things, offers the best guaranty for their preservation."

-- Theodore Roosevelt

Offline semostickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2007, 02:45:00 PM »
Also an ASAT convert from Predator.  Still like the Predator, but the ASAT 3-D is unbelievable!  Just bought a complete set of Sitka in ASAT and can't wait to try it this fall.

gp

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by ncboman:

Originally posted by electric blues:
Primary negatives, it cost too much for what it is and isn't widely available in a variety of fabrics.

I still want some.    :)  [/b]
My negative:  Sizes, sizes, sizes (my 38" sleeve, 36" inseam, I'm 6'-8" and I'm not XXXXXXXXL..... Its good stuff, just cant get my size.....
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 11:53:00 PM »
???

My brother - and hunting buddy - keeps telling me how awesome my 3D-Vanish Pro ASAT is visually, but this last weekend hunting muleys by a watering hole, I had doe after doe bust me when I wasn't moving at all! (no, they didn't wind me.)   :(   Is it that they're more on guard at watering holes - being animals of all sorts will congragate: including predators?  I sat amongst some bushes, and only my torso was visible.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the leafy suit is AWFULLY noisy?  Unless there's enough wind to cover my sound, my confidence goes down when I'm sitting, and even lower when I'm stalking.  I bought it last year, and I'm sure I've washed/dried it a couple dozen times with Sport Wash.  Certainly it got better after the first 3 or 4, but it just doesn't hold a candle to wool for quietness.

Should I be doing something differently?
Bow:
62" Bob Lee TD Hunter Recurve: 51# @ 28", Braceheight: 7 3/4"

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Is the sport wash a non UV brightener soap?  If not, try some of the UV blocker.  Other than that, just be sure you have some kind of background behind youbesides a skyline and you should be pretty good to go.  If you are skylined, it dont' matter what you wear....
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2007, 12:34:00 AM »
Check.

check.

check.

...still stumped.  You know how people keep saying while wearing ASAT the deer just "see through" them?  ...this felt like it was the opposite: it was the ASAT she'd picked out.  If that only happened the first time, I'd have chalked it up to me moving or something.
Bow:

Bowstring:
Chad Weaver 58.5'' 10-strand DF97 (padded loops); 0.19 HALO serving; rubber silencers & brush buttons

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2007, 12:59:00 AM »
without seeing where you were in regards to them I can't hazard a guess; but if your 3D suit is new it's possible its movement with the wind didn't match the leaves around you because it was still a little stiff. You may have twitched or exhaled loud any number of little things. It also could just have been that sixth sense game seems to have.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline MI_Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Alan, I'm convinced that deer just have some sort of 6th sense.  Some days it doesn't matter what you wear or do, they will bust you.  They just sense when something is out of place.

Run your leafy suit through the dryer a few times with an old sneeker and it will soften up nicely.
"Failure is an attitude, not an outcome."  -Harvey Mackay

:archer:               MikeD.

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2007, 10:42:00 AM »
I prefer my ASAT in fleece. I have a Bowhunter jacket from Day One and a pair of 6 pocket fleece pants I love because there is no noise whatsoever. I have the 3d suit but I too don't like the noise but I think animals don't really hear it but it still bugs me.

Offline ncboman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2007, 11:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Allan Hundeby:
Check.

check.

check.

...still stumped.  You know how people keep saying while wearing ASAT the deer just "see through" them?  ...this felt like it was the opposite: it was the ASAT she'd picked out.  If that only happened the first time, I'd have chalked it up to me moving or something.
I don't own even one piece of ASAT but I can offer some points to ponder.

Were you wearing glasses or contacts?

Did you have a headnet or facemask?

Did you make eye to eye contact?

Is it possible another hunter used the same spot previously?

Deer can see an eye blink at over 100yds when they are looking for trouble. I think it's part of their bobcat defense technology.   :D
ncboman

Have Bow >>>-------> Will Travel

Offline Allan Hundeby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
ncboman...

Yeah, I was wearing glasses, and had the leafy headnet on, and... made eye contact, but no other hunters (or cattle) had used the dug-out recently.

Must be 6th sense - or they just use the hole so frequently they noticed a new "bush".
Bow:

Bowstring:

Offline jeff / sc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
Maybe the sun was reflecting from your glasses (or bow)...plus direct eye contact is a killer.

Offline semostickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2007, 09:31:00 AM »
I washed/dried my 3D suit a bunch and it is very quiet.  For what it's worth...

gp

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©