3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: The traditional misconception  (Read 441 times)

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
The traditional misconception
« on: June 17, 2013, 09:09:00 PM »
"Theres more to this trad. archery than I thought"...this was the phrase I heard while talking to a new trad. shooter at a shoot a couple weeks ago.
Isnt it funny how the misconception that trad. bows are nothing more than a bent stick with a string on it, and simply shooting wood arrows is all there is to it, and consistent shooting.......well, good luck with that.
For those that choose traditional archery, nothing could be farther from the truth, for as we all know everything must come together in sweet harmony before accuracy and consistency will ever take place, but for many the misconception continues.
Just thought Id share, as the comment struck me as kinda funny.   :biglaugh:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: The traditional misconception
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 09:28:00 PM »
I have run into this myself, I talk to wheelie-only guys and they think they're doing something more advanced than I am with the cams and sights and rangefinders.  Inside I'm laughing in fits.  Outside a gentleman.  I think to myself 'more advanced?  No way.  Needlessly complicated?  Maybe?"  Oh well.  I've got nothing against guys who want to shoot wheels.  It has its niche purpose.  But it always boggles me the level of misinformation/ willing ignorance.  My last hunt of the season this past fall I was in the woods at a local WMA, with a 64# 72" yew longbow, fully cammied eyes to toes, I found a perfect spot to still hunt and play the wind, and within a few hours stalked up on some deer (wasn't deer season so no joy/ was out for hogs)  and then found some fresh hog sign and decided to post by a dry creek bed and see what came along after the deer.  Sure enough as the sun kissed the horizon a whole family of piggies came snorting through the brush, closer and closer.  It was pretty thick but they were working toward me.  I knew if it continued I'd have my shot.  Well they got within 20 yds, but still too many branches and I started to hold my breath, it was almost game time and the light was fading fast.  Well it got blown when three non-trad hunters came crashing through the brush to the south of me...scared all the hogs off.  The hunters eventually saw me, after frowning and scanning and scratching their heads..."hey you, am I seeing a hunter??"  I laughed and said yup.  They got closer.  I said matter of factly "hey there was about 10 hogs here just now". "What!! You don't say! Oh my gosh."  "Yup, not anymore" I said kinda sarcastically.  They finally spotted my longbow and all I can say is the look on their faces was priceless.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:33:00 PM »
Smile and Nod.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »
The good news is, that even though he was new to trad., through our conversation I gathered that he was on the right path to doing it right.    :thumbsup:
I believe that for him the misconception is quickly fading.   :clapper:

Offline krink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:48:00 PM »
I would have to agree that there is more to trad archery than most people think and it doesnt have much to do with shooting bows.  It seems that most of the people here have a different frame of mind.  That they view the woods differently, the hunts seem more sweet, the game taken sweeter, and the experence no matter the outcome is first and foremost.  To me this community is like a small town.  Every body knows every body and we are all friends.  It is a simple but extremely rewarding.  There IS more to trad archery than meets the eye...
The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.
---James Forrestal

Sticks and stones will break some bones and feed my family this winter.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:53:00 PM »
Someone said of traditional archery, "Just because it is simple doesn't mean it is easy".  There is a lot of truth in that statement.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:00 PM »
The dirty little secret is traditional archery has gotten more complicated over the last 40 years. Before that it was relatively uncomplicated and fun.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 10:48:00 PM »
When I really got serious about this (only about 2 years ago) I has no idea what I was in for. Have to say though, it's a great feeling when all the time spent tuning comes together.
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 11:13:00 PM »
Like many things, it's as simple or complicated as you want to make it.

Offline D

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
I think "traditional" is just as much of an attitude as it is the weapon your carrying.  True we all carry traditional bows in the woods when we go.  Here's a question for ya...If you carried a rifle in the woods on your next hunt would your views, morals, and ethics be different??  My dad hunts with a wheel bow, muzzleloader, and rifle and he has just as much or more "traditional" values that I do and I only hunt with my longbow.  I think it has a lot to do with morals and ethics more than the weapon your using.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 11:26:00 PM »
Trad is a journey, not a destination.  I was in our local shop on Saturday spinning a few shafts.  A compounder was standing at the bowpress and said, "you've obviously done this before!". I said, yes, but it took 50 years to get to where I was, but everyone should try it.  He said he thought about getti g a recurve, but wanted to take a deer with his Mathews first.  The challenge is the essence of our way of shooting and many are accepting it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 11:42:00 PM »
I feel it's much more sophisticated and much more of a challenge. At the same time however, it is simple, and primal. It takes a mentally stronger person and a better hunter. Hunting is instinctive for animals why shouldn't it be for us?
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 12:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by VictoryHunter:
I feel it's much more sophisticated and much more of a challenge. At the same time however, it is simple, and primal. It takes a mentally stronger person and a better hunter. Hunting is instinctive for animals why shouldn't it be for us?
I think you nailed it
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »
X 3!
When I was much younger, and just starting to get serious about bowhunting, I remember being at the 'pro shop', and seeing some trad guys. I had much the same feelings as most non traditional bow hunters: "these guys must be crazy trying to kill something with these things!" But then I watched them for a while. I remember seeing how much fun they were having, and the one guy had perfectly tuned arrows. That was the first time that the "mystical flight of the arrow" touched my soul. I had enjoyed everything about archery with a compound up to that point, but after seeing those trad guys up close and personal, I realized that I was missing much more than I had been experiencing. That was the first real spark that started my traditional fire. It took a few more years for that little flame to become the soul warming blaze it is today, but nevertheless, it was the initial spark. After a few more years of all the techno garbage, and disappointment from the hype of this or that, I had lost the fun of archery. I remembered those trad guys and thought "that's what I want". I called up a buddy who had an old recurve hanging on the wall that was still shoot able. I don't think he ever thought the monster that I would become when he loaned it to me. Sure I still get frustrated, but man, I have a heck of a lot fun.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 06:24:00 AM »
we were getting out of my truck at a local 3-d shoot when a man yelled hey pal the wheels fell off your bow.before I could say anything my friend replied I dident know a bow had wheels.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 07:42:00 AM »
I'm still learning after 50 years. Like they say its not what we do its a way of life......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by reddogge:
The dirty little secret is traditional archery has gotten more complicated over the last 40 years. Before that it was relatively uncomplicated and fun.
I don't think that Trad is anymore complicated than it ever was, people and technology have made it more complicated.  Until the late 60's/early 70's there was no choice about how you bowhunted, Trad was the ONLY way.  Now people "switch over" from compounds and are having to relearn what they've done for a long time.  Our choice of hunting arrows was wood.  You could choose the kind of wood, usually POC, sometimes fir or birch.  There was aluminum for target. Then fiberglass and aluminum were used for hunting, too.  Now there's carbon, aluminum, fiberglass, all manner of wood.  There's bare shafting, paper tuning (never heard of either until the past 10 years or so).  There's FOC, EFOC, UFOC.  We have COC, modular, stone, and mechanical broadheads-very light to very heavy, with all manner of inserts for weight. You can choose from string materials, skinny strings, or extra skinny strings.  Look at the choices for style/material of bows-longbow, recurve, hybrid, TD (how many types of TD??), selfbow, very short to very long, all wood, fiberglass, carbon, foam core.  Used to the choice was longbow or recurve, length, yew, bamboo, lemonwood, hickory, osage, all wood or backed.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 08:12:00 AM »
I learn something almost every time I gather with other trad guys.

I liken it to fly-fishing...simple and graceful in appearance, but pretty complex in it's execution.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 08:51:00 AM »
Roger well said...... :)
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 10:30:00 AM »
For me it's really all about a stroll through "Sherwood"....not too complicated.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©