3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Opinions on bow for elk hunt  (Read 377 times)

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Opinions on bow for elk hunt
« on: August 31, 2007, 07:21:00 AM »
I have a 62" RD longbow that pulls 57# at my 30" draw.  I shoot it well and am reasonably confident to 30 yds.  Shooting 640 gr arrow.

My dilema is, I have a 64" Great Plains recurve 50# at my 30" draw.  I shoot very well and have complete confidence in my ability out to and past 30 yds.  When I draw it there is no question where the arrow will hit.

I feel the 50# recurve throws the same 640 gr arrow just as fast and with just as much authority as the 57# longbow.  Is this just wishful thinking on my part because I am so comfortable with the recurve?  Or is either bow  good enough for my elk hunt?

I have never chronoed either bow but feel both are in the 175-180 fps range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Opinions on bow for elk hunt
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 07:39:00 AM »
When I draw it there is no question where the arrow will hit.  
Go with the bow you have the most confidence in.    :archer:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:44:00 AM »
Al, 50lbs is more than adequate for almost any animal on the planet, especially at close range with a heavy arrow like you described.

As long as you keep your shots to within your KNOWN range limitation and have a good stout, razor sharp broadhead, I would not hesitate to use the recurve.

It is after all, shot placement that is the most critical factor in determining weather you bring your Elk home. So use the set-up that you have the most confidence in. 7lbs is not a great deal of difference.

"When I draw it there is no question where the arrow will hit."....

You have answered your own question.

-Sharps
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:45:00 AM »
So long as the 50# bow meets regulations where you plan to hunt.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline AnointedArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:13:00 AM »
Most definately go with what you shoot best, confidence is about 80% of your shooting ability! I once heard a wise man say "if you think your are going to miss a shot than you probably well"  Go with confidence!
John 8:36
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 10:07:00 AM »
I was talking to Wes Wallace yesterday and he told me that last year he shot completely thru a mature elk with a 50 lb recurve.

This question comes up a lot because we all want to ensure that what we are carring is adequate, but we probably underestimate the abilities of our bows to do what is needed.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Kid

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 11:00:00 AM »
As someone who has spent plenty of time elk hunting (30 years), 50 lbs is enough if the following conditions are met: good flying arrow, heavy arrow (640 is enough), 2 bladed razor sharp broadhead, good double lung shot.

JMHO

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
If both bows are shooting equal speed with that arrow then bow weight is not the question.  Shoot the bow that shoots best for you and that you have confidence in the shot.  Only take shots you are confident with.  I have passed up close shots on elk that didn't feel right and taken longer ones that did.  

Good luck on your hunt!!

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
I'm on the bandwagon here - shoot the one you have confidence in. 50lbs will do it with one exception. Beyond 30 yards with a recurve? It's great to be accurate at that distance, but a lot can happen in the elk woods during the time it takes your arrow to hit its mark at 35 yards. Maybe you already know that but the way you stated the range made me think that you were contemplating a poke at that distance.
Is it September yet?!

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 06:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the input.  You helped me decide 2 things.  Both bows go but recurve primary and keep shots under 30 yds.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
Another point that has not been mentioned is your draw length. You have a longer "power stroke" and therefore store more kenetic energy. I forget the actual conversion, but I would say 50 @ 30 is just about the same as shooting 55 @ 28.

My draw length is 31" and have seen the dramatic difference it makes. Never did put one through an elk but have seen unbelievable chrono's and arrows that just about nock 3D tagets over.

Shooting 63 @ 31 I had 600 gr arrows pushing the 200 fps mark. I cant handle that much weight these days and will be chasing deer with a 50 @ 31 bow this year.

Factor in your extreme confidence and I think you have your answer.
Twin Oaks Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of Tennessee

"just remember, you can't put the wood back on"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©