3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why the addiction?  (Read 1274 times)

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
Why the addiction?
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:00 PM »
Why is trad shooting so addictive? Shot wheelie bows for years, but I admit I was a "bring it out a couple of weeks before season, hits close, good enough" kinda shooter. Now I eat, sleep, breathe trad archery. Everything about it lures me in. Bought bows, self bows, recurves, longbows, and heck I have even been thinking about those funny looking horse bows. I can't get enough. So what lights your fire fellow tradgangers?  :campfire:

Offline PebblePlacement

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why the addiction?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Raw primitive roots.  I find my true nature in the field.
=>>>====> MW <====<<<=

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:02:00 PM »
Not sure brother, but I'm right there with ya. Maybe it's my Cherokee heritage. Whatever it is it just gets stronger every day.
Shoot Straight!
Charlie
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline pamike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 10:06:00 PM »
Addiction.....what are you talking about?????

Ok maybe I have a small problem....but I can't stop myself!
HABU Vyperkahn
Elk master
Hill Country Bobcat

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 10:14:00 PM »
I don't know, it is just inherently addictive for me.  The feeling of releasing that rare perfect arrow to the bullseye is tough to duplicate.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline dhermon85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 10:15:00 PM »
Not sure, but I like it

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:00 PM »
Its addicting to me because of several reasons. I can make my own equipment for one and it is so satisfying to see an arrow I made glide through the air with such beauty I am amazed. Just the feel of being in the woods with equipment that don't have sights, stabilizers, release aids, levels, etc, is sure a great feeling for me. I'm not putting those thimgs down, they are not for me anymore.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 10:34:00 PM »
I'm with you. I shot my compund year round, but never had a desire for a new or different bow. I never had the desire for different arrows, heads, or quivers. Now I want to try everything and seem like I can't satisfy myself (in a good way, though).

I think I was just scared of messing my compiund up.....because I couldn't fix it if I broke it.  With trad, I can tinker to my heart's delight and can fix most anything I break. Did I mention I love to tinker,

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 10:38:00 PM »
The feeling of doing it the right way is what is addictive. The fact that you must work for shooting accuracy is what is addictive. The satisfaction one feels when it comes together is what is addictive.  You can half-ass a job and get it done. But it leaves you feeling empty. When you do the job right...you feel good. And you sleep better. At least I do!

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 10:51:00 PM »
I think it is the feedback you get.  When you shoot a sight you do not get the gratification of watching the arrow hit its mark.  We get that shooting traditional.  It keeps you coming back for more.

Many moons ago, a man wrote a book called the Witchery of Archery.  I have been  bewitched by the flight of the arrow and the quest for the perfect shot since I was a boy.  Today we call that addiction, I guess, it is a passion for me.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
What really does it for is the way traditional archery translates to hunting. The way the bow feels in hand, the lack of technology, the pure instinct that guides you and allows your arrow to find it's mark. It's as simple allowing your eyes to choose where you want the arrow to go.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline Richie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Self reliance.
   You buy a trad bow ,fletched arrows ,string. Eventually you make a bow ( or a friend makes it), you make your string , fletch your arrows, maybe a quiver. The journey never ends, from tanning hides to making your own blinds . To me it is a constsnt desire to do it yourself.  :campfire:
Once a Marine always a Marine, Semper Fi

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 11:55:00 PM »
ah heck guys, you all know it's because it's so easy!!!!! in bizarro world!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Petrovic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 11:57:00 PM »
I think for me it is trying to master something that seems so simple but isn't.

Offline takefive

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 12:25:00 AM »
The hands on aspect of it does it for me, too.  I've made 3 selfbows and 3 all wood lam bows and it is rewarding to shoot a bow that you made yourself.   The fact that you have to put some time in to shoot well (or at least I do) with a bare bow appeals to me, too.  When it all comes together and you start taking a nock off here and there, it's pure bliss.  As long as you didn't wreck the arrows :-)
It's hard to make a wooden bow which isn't beautiful, even if it's ugly.
-Tim Baker

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
I get a kick out of all of you guys who are so enthusiastic about traditional archery.  :thumbsup:  
For some of us that are of the older generation it was,and is, the only archery we have known...

Now I have gotten into the primative side of the sport and make self bows so there is always more to learn and do which adds to the enjoyment.

Offline Wiley Coyote

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
Once you get hooked..............It must be that you will never be perfect and we keep striving to improve. And it's a helluva lot of fun!!!!   :thumbsup:
Great Northern Bushbow
Super Shrew Delux
Talon Longbow
Chekmate Hunter Recurve

Offline wetfeathers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 06:18:00 AM »
I'm not sure why either, but it sure is fun isn't it?  I get 10x more excited shooting any deer with my recurve than I ever did shooting wheels. Even losing arrows is more fun!    :archer:
Love your kids.... spend time.  not money.

Christain Bowhunters of America

Offline NOMAD88

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
It's TradGang!!!!! Reading your stories, making friends,getting together and flinging arrows,raising money for St. Judes and maybe one day being able to share a great story here. I wonder how addicted we would be without TradGang   :bigsmyl:

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
For me it's the challenge, it's not easy to be consistent and yet you learn something new everytime.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©