3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Why the addiction?  (Read 1275 times)

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Why the addiction?
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
For me, I believe it's one way to stay in contact with my primal roots. I have not touched one of those wheelie mechanical contraptions in a long time due to the fact that I lost my thirst for archery when doing so. I have never looked back. Its as if it's instilled within my DNA now and from what I see here on Tradgang, its in a lot of peoples DNA!! I also noticed and accepted that a strong comradery comes with shooting trad. There's not one person that I have came across in the traditional community that's not willing to help in some way or form.

Offline rick7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »
when you guys find out please let me know.

Offline britt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 08:28:00 AM »
It has become a way of life for me. Its my connection to my ancestors.
"My gratitude speaks when I care and when I share the trad. way"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I'll never be as good as Robin Hood but I get to walk in The "Sherwood Forest" of my mind.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline wixwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 08:55:00 AM »
The flight of a home built wood arrow hitting THE spot. The feeling I get walking through the woods with a longbow. The simplicity (when you do it right!?!?) The connection to simpler times. The challenge.
My favorite though is the people. I know that no particular group of people is all good but, in my opinion as well as other's too, the trad folks are about as close as you can get to all good people.
Fort Collins Archery Association
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
NRA Life Member

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2013, 09:14:00 AM »
Because as you draw on that tuft of hair on that deer or that target you have no idea whether you are going to hit it or not!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline bowhuntingrn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
For me it was less stressful and got me back to the roots of what archery should be in this day and time...FUN! When I first started shooting wheels at the age of 15 (1985), it was fun. If I could shoot a decent group and keep them all inside the confines of a paper plate at hunting distances I was happy. Technology advanced, and as it did, I became more and more obsessed with making the perfect shot and more and more stressed about it if I didn't. If I had an arrow a 1/4" inch off target at 20 yards, I was trying to figure out what was wrong with my equipment. In comes my first real brush with traditional archery. A bamboo backed osage bow with poorly spine matched cedar arrows. I wasn't great at it, but good enough to keep me coming back for more. It caused me to concentrate on what I could do to become more proficient, not what screw I needed to adjust, or what new gadget I needed to buy. Not to mention the fact that I could shoot 40 or 50 arrows  in the time that it used to take me to shoot 10 - 15. Now, just a little over 2 years later, it doesn't matter whether I'm shooting BBO "selfbow" with woodies, or wood and fiberglass extreme hybrid with carbons, I have fun. Yeah, I'm still tweaking and tuning, but not near as much as I'm shooting. Once I get it dialed in, if something goes astray, it was more than likely me that caused it. The other thing I've noticed, like someone mentioned above, traditional bowhunters are the most friendly / helpful group of guys and gals around. There is no major difference between the guy with his $1200.00 BW and the guy with the $130.00 Sage, they can both be just as successful if they put the time and energy into it that requires them to be proficient. They also seem to realize that the sharing of knowledge is the key to making our sport better and helping it grow. One more thing in this long winded speech, remember that paper plate I mentioned earlier...it's back in play  :)
"The first 40 years of childhood are always the hardest"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2013, 09:51:00 AM »
For me it is what EVERYBODY above said, plus a little more.

:bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline CRS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2013, 09:59:00 AM »
It's the journey, not the destination.
Inquiring minds.......

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
Primal roots, the warrior spirit, the constant striving to improve, the peace of mind from shooting, the thrill of the stalk.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:00 AM »
For me, good exercise , relaxation, throw in a bird dog to walk with. Me and Jack my GSP walk about 1.5-2 miles every afternoon. I shoot at things and he runs around smelling stuff. Good time for both of us.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline WTM45

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Shooting the recurve is a big challenge to me.  It is a quest, as I have shot compounds for years and have tried to avoid trad since being a kid.  It is slowly taking over "front and center" in my world.  Why?  I don't know the reason I have avoided something I found so much fun in my youth.  But I know it can only make me a better hunter.

Offline paoliguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2013, 12:19:00 PM »
I think it's the community. I wanted to find something for my son and I to do together. I went to a compound shoot and felt uncomfortable and frankly unwelcome. Not the lessons I wanted to teach my son. We tried a local trad only club shoot and we were treated like honored guests. This traditional family lives the values I want my son to develop and I sure don't mind if we happen to have some fun in the process!

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2013, 12:28:00 PM »
Deep in the DNA of our brains we all have the memories of our forefathers.  It's called instinct by some.  Go out with your 5th wheel camper and turn on the furnace, do you sit and stare at it? No. Go out into the wilderness with your tent and in the evening make a campfire. Do you sit and stare at it?  That campfire will stir up those ancestrial memories.  Shooting a trad bow does that as well. The call of the ancients, calling us back to the land.

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
It's being a kid all over   :archer:  (a simple stick and string) a simpler way of doing things. Harken back to the   :biglaugh:
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »
Good observation there pavan - we may be hard-wired to pull on a string, bend a stick and watch an arrow fly.
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Addiction?   :knothead:    :knothead:    :help:  LOL. Yep, I am a bowaholic and proud of it.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2013, 05:11:00 PM »
In my case for me to shoot my recurves as accurate as I like I have to make my body and mind do what I want instead of what comes natural and do it in a smooth controlled rhythm, while under physical and mental stress.

Fingers on that little string want to turn loose, muscles want to relax, mind saying let go..who's in charge?

It's like a saying I once read.."Be the master of your mind, not it's servant."

That's what keeps me from getting bored. I know I can shoot really good..when I take control...but it's very challenging and very seldom happens when I'm in total control of every sequence a perfect shot requires.

If that wasn't enough, hunting with just a bow and arrow is real close to bare knuckling it.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2013, 09:56:00 PM »
It is very simple. We are lucky and we live right.
Sam

Offline critman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
What everyone has said X2
Keep'em coming.
  :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©