3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: To Rest or not to Rest, that is the ?  (Read 626 times)

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
To Rest or not to Rest, that is the ?
« on: June 19, 2013, 04:40:00 PM »
Ok, while waiting on my Kodiak Hunter to arrive, I got to looking at the riser and wondered how it would shoot off the shelf with so much of the arrow touching? Since it is not a radiused shelf, and I've heard that arrow flight is better with less contact, should I put a rest on it? Looking for some opinions and suggestions but, no arguments!   :D

Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: To Rest or not to Rest, that is the ?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
My suggestion is a feather rest. I put one on my old Browning Cobra for less arrow/shelf contact and it works great. I'm also a big fan of flipper rests and cushion plungers but todays bowyers are very reluctant to drill and tap the riser. Hence...the radius shelf.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 04:44:00 PM »
The best thing I can tell you is to try it. You will get good arrow flight, but it's a love hate type of thing. With a very flat shelf I'm thinking you may get to like it! Just my opinion.....By the way, nice looking bow!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
They shoot well either way, but I think you would be impressed with a raised rest.  A Bear Weatherrest is cheap and you'll never know unless you try.  A feather rest works pretty good, too.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
Lets say I use a stick on rest. How far above the shelf should it sit and where should my nock point be?

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 05:50:00 PM »
I put a feather rest on my Bear Grizzly. It shot better and that was the only way I could get it to tune right. I had my noc point at 1" until I pit the rest on then it was 3/8 because the arrow kept hitting my rest until I got to 1".
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
If you want to raise it up, all you need is a match stick.  Look at one of those high speed videos of the arrow going around the riser.  Once the arrow leaves the string, there's not much touching the riser.  Biggest thing is make sure your brace height is correct so you don't get porpoising.  JMHO...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Igor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 05:58:00 PM »
I've gone both ways...rest or not to rest....what I found is that I have a tough time messing up the arrow flight using a rest - so all my recurves other than the Bruin have a rest on them.....and an inexpensive Bear rest works as well as the more expensive variety (IMHO)....I put it as close as I can to the shelf and nock 1/2" above...I nock my arrows below the string nock...never used a feather rest but I'd have to believe that is a good solution to the issue...

><>>
Glenn
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding In all your ways submit to him and he will direct your paths

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:33:00 PM »
I have some with the flat shelf and the shoot fine you just have to play around with it to see what you like
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Nativestranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
Try the match stick suggestion or just stack on a few smaller leather strips to rest the arrow so it doesn't contact the wood shelf.
Instinctive gapper.

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks for all tips guys! I forgot about the match stick method and believe I will give that a try first. If I can't get good arrow flight, I'll give an elevated rest a try.   :thumbsup:

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 10:32:00 PM »
Put some Velcro on the rest and slide a match stick under it where it touches that what I did with mine and she is a great bow cant go wrong thats for sure

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 12:35:00 AM »
I've got a bow that has a rather flat shelf, and at first I didn't care for it. I found that it was very difficult to tune, and was very particular about brace and nock height. But once I found the sweet spot, and properly tuned my arrows, it has become one of my favorite bows to shoot. Also, using a good tab with the finger separator helped to clean up my release which also contributes to the now perfect arrow flight. It took a little more time to tune off the shelf, but now I have no issues.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »
I would stick some velcro on the shelf, a flipper rest on top of that and set nocking point about 1/8 to 1/4" above. But that's what I do on all recurves..flat shelf or radius.

Offline NBK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:00 AM »
I use a matchstick under the rug on most all of my bows, especially the recurves.
Mike

"I belong anywhere but in between"

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:00 AM »
Whats a "rest"?  :thumbsup:

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 09:26:00 AM »
I'd go with a rest.   Lots of pros and very few cons to using a rest.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 12:51:00 AM »
Whats a "rest"? [laughing]
....that bow will shoot great off the shelf. I have 3 old Bears....no rests....shoot them all off the rug and they shoot fantastic [thumbsup]
Well, those of you who recommended no elevated rest, are absolutely right about the way it shoots! The arrow flight off the rest was amazing so, I left it alone. What a fantastic bow and now my bow for this years hunting season. Thanks for all the help.   :thumbsup:

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 01:11:00 AM »
Originally posted by tippit:
If you want to raise it up, all you need is a match stick.  Look at one of those high speed videos of the arrow going around the riser.  Once the arrow leaves the string, there's not much touching the riser.  Biggest thing is make sure your brace height is correct so you don't get porpoising.  JMHO...tippit
What he said!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
I finally got off the shelf last week, and I will NEVER go back down. Instant improvement in group size.  I can now run a 1/4" high nock, instead of the 5/8" high nock that was required before with shelf shooting, to prevent upward fish tail flight. And the arrow no longer looks like a NHRA funny car on the string because of that 5/8" nock.

Best thing I ever did.  I went with the Hoyt Super Rest.  $ 2.50 and the target guys say it has won many FITA tournaments.

I did the stik under the rug thing, leather shoe lace, leather pad, and I forget what else. It made no difference for mine. Still had to run that high nock. Once I went to the Hoyt Super Rest , and 1/4" nock, its on now.

The Hoyt Super Rest has a built in springy side plate that acts like a cushion. And it comes with a two sided stik on spacer for someone with a cut past center bow like ILF, but for wood trad bows you won't need that.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©