3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear- The Sportsman Channel (Dish Network)  (Read 1564 times)

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear- The Sportsman Channel (Dish Network)
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 06:45:00 PM »
I am on the west coast and don't have direct tv. One of you guys gotta record this and post it on youtube.Please....

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
I'm watching it now and it's great so far. Lots of great Fred Bear footage and very well done.....
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 07:39:00 PM »
Still watching......this is awesome stuff!!

I hope they re-air this again.
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 08:18:00 PM »
I watched this special event and I was impressed. It touched me and I must admit I had to fight back a tear or two during some parts.
   :thumbsup:
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
3 Fingers Under

Offline Jack Rehacek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »
I really liked it.I also got something in my eye a couple times.One part that sticks out is when Don said there are a lot of kids and young adults that don't know who Fred Bear was.It is sad but true.Like they said aint nobody going to fill them shoes.I hope it reairs.  :clapper:    :pray:

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 09:08:00 PM »
It was really good! I watched it with my 13 year old  :)  It gave just enough detail to get the viewers interested in looking for more info! It really stressed what a good hearted person Fred was! I hope they play it some more  :)
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
Was merely able to view the 1st half of this special program…Mother Nature flexed her muscle by displaying her power over man’s technology, thus blocking the satellite signal.

What I did see, stimulated the retrieval of the stored image hero envisioned by an adolescent. Kids in my day dreamed of being Roy Rogers or Superman. I often imagined walking in the footsteps of Mr. Fred Bear. The program merely served to enhance the valued memories of my chosen superhero figure to emulate. Perhaps I should envision sharing his boots as an adult.
We are never too old to dream.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline recurve3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »
Great Show, enjoyed every second of it!!
Tom

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 09:38:00 PM »
Great program, nice to see a tribute to a much deserving archery icon as Mr. Bear.
Though he has passed, his legacy lives on, not only through the bows but through his fine example of a true sportsman .   :thumbsup:

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 09:43:00 PM »
Absolutely great show. I, too had to fight back a tear or two.  I watched it with my two children. I hope to pass on a little of my passion to them.

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Having made 49 today, I can remember my teen days in which I was well aware of Fred.  I owned a 1968 Archer's Bible, we bought the original Green heads at K Mart. Over the years I looked for that bible. Went up in my dad's attic and rummaged through my old stuff. Couldn't find it so I got another old original 68 copy from the well popular auction site.  

I killed with the later Bear Lite heads. I was well aware of Fred.

Now what tonite's episode addressed was the fear that today's 20's & 30's generation might not recognize what Fred did for archery. It is up to programs like tonight that must convey the history.  

We grew up in a tougher world, did without, and thus when something fun came along we respected it a lot. We spent a lot of time outside, fell off our bike, skinned a knee, and got right back up and went did some other outdoor activity.

It's a little different today. It WILL be harder to convey Fred and his major contributions to archery, to the newer generation. I think they want to learn.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 10:07:00 PM »
Fred is the man...and definitely the "Father of Bowhunting".  Let's hope our younger generation of hunters learn to appreciate who and what Mr. Bear has done for all of us.

My wife and I found it especially sentimental to learn the Gainesville plant still had a parking space reserved for Mr. Bear.

We love you Fred!

Lon Scott

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 10:39:00 PM »
Now a want a new super grizzly!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »
I watched and DVR'd this very special show this evening, actualy watched it twice, with my youngest son Tyler. It brought back MANY memories!!!

I was born in 1960. I grew up reading about Fred Bear, and watching him on TV when most kids were whatching cartoons. He was my childhood HERO!!!

My first "real" bow, was a fiberglass Bear "Red Bear"... I killed many rabbits, squirrels, and woodchucks shooting way overspined broadhead arrows from that bow. My first "hunting bow" was a 50# Bear "Alaskan"... I killed a doe with that bow each of the first 2 years that I bowhunted, 1976 & 1977. I had a few Grizzlys & a Kodiak Mag, during the early 1980's. Then I got on the compound bandwagon... I bought a Bear "Whitetail Hunter" and a few years later, a Bear Bear "Whitetal II". I shot both compounds without sights & with fingers on the string! I just couldn't get into the compound "thing" and pretty much gave up bowhunting. However... I never quite lost the "itch"! Around 1996 I met my very good friend & fellow TradGanger, Joe Skipp. He had a 55# 1967 Kodiak Mag in his shop. I shot it, Paid him $80, and I was back bowhunting again!!!

I have a few "custom" bows, and a couple Bear Grizzlys that I have picked up over the years. The customs are nice! But, I'll probly never buy another... I just like shooting the old Bears. After seeing this special, I just may buy one of the "Grayling Green" Super Kodiaks that have caught my eye!!!

Good Night, Papa Bear!!! One day we will meet at the Eternal Campfire... I can't wait to hear your stories!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 11:18:00 PM »
I liked it, but I must admit that I was a little disappointed that so much of it was like an infomercial for Bear Archery, as opposed to being more about Fred's life and adventures.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »
Actualy, What you seem to have missed... Is that Fred Bear WAS Bear Archery!!! EVERYTHING that he did, was to promote Archery,Bowhunting,AND his company!!! It was a pretty large feat, to start & run a successful company during the Great Depression, and build it into what it later became! Hats Off!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2013, 12:14:00 AM »
plus, the obvious " I miss him " feeling from everyone they interviewed, and the one guy spelled it out that they fear Fred's accomplishments would vanish with the new gen, thus the purpose of the doc.  I thought it was great. Sportsman Chnl ought to donate some time for replay, in furtherance of the goal.

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2013, 01:14:00 AM »
I don't have cable, hope Bear Archery eventually puts it on their website, or youtube!!!  Sounds like it was a good program.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2013, 07:22:00 AM »
I thought it was GREAT! Kudos for the Bear Archery and the Sportsman Chanel for putting it together. I seriously doubt the bulk of the "younger" generation will watch it and take it to heart, BUT there's a chance with a few it will fan a flame just like his shows did for me back in the early 70's! Thanks Fred!

I too was impressed with the reserved parking space for Papa Bear!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2013, 07:31:00 AM »
Benn on the road won't see it until Tuesday  thanks for DVR
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©