3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fred Bear- The Sportsman Channel (Dish Network)  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fred Bear- The Sportsman Channel (Dish Network)
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2013, 07:40:00 AM »
I watched it. It was ok, but could have been a lot better.
John

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2013, 10:41:00 AM »
Would have liked to have seen a little more of Fred and less of digging thru boxes in the storage room.Just me.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2013, 12:26:00 PM »
Had to work last night so I missed it. Anyone know if it will be on again?
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Understand about digging through boxes. They probably assumed almost everyone already had the DVD set, so focus on something not everyone gets to see.  I have had the dvd set 2 years. Watch them often.

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2013, 01:25:00 PM »
I took out all the commercials, slightly enhanced the footage, uprezzed it to 1280-720, and burned it to Blu-Ray for my grandkids. Ended up 40 minutes.

If anyone wants to view it on computer I can try to upload it to the net. It's a 2.44 GB file so will take some time to do.
Tom Mussatto

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
I would like to see shows like this about other archery greats-Ben Pearson, Howard Hill, etc.  I know it won't happen, but I can dream!!
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline DTD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
I missed the show last night, but according to the Sportsman's Channel website, it is on again next Friday at 7 PM and 7:30 PM.

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2013, 09:00:00 PM »
Actualy, What you seem to have missed... Is that Fred Bear WAS Bear Archery!!!  
There was no need to get snarky Woodchucker.  I understood the 'point', but I personally still would have preferred to see more footage of Fred and way less of the current Bear factory.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2013, 09:35:00 PM »
Hawken, I agree.  I love Fred Bear, what he stood for, reading about him, etc, but I unfortunately thought the show was boring. Sorry guys!   I think they'd do better re-airing all of his old hunting shows!  Those are awesome!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Brock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2013, 11:22:00 PM »
I watched it today...and enjoyed it for most part.  IT had some great info and footage woven into the story in the given time limit...

I liked the owner of PAPEs archery saying he wish the 20-30 year olds would get the old books and video and watch them...and he hates it when he is meeting people at archery shop or camp and a guy says he is passing anything not over 160" even though he is a fairly new bowhunter...and that they are robbing themselves of the joy and adventure of bowhunting for no reason.

It was touching about the parking space being respected....and liked the interview with the employees that have been there 30 years.

Did not care so much about the compound stuff but thought it was well done...even if obviously put out to not only push the new traditional line but also the rest of their products.

Good job Bear Archery...
Keep em sharp,

Ron Herman
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers
PBS Assoc since 1988
NRA Life
USAF Retired (1984-2004)

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Man tuff crowd, guess you folks should just keep watching Tiffany! Duck Dynasty, etc etc. lol Could it have been better. Absolutely! Was it better than anything else on the Sportsman channel in the last several years? ABSOULTELY!

"YELLING" DID YOU SEE THAT" WHA HO I JUST SMOKED HIM!"
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Lamplighter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »
Most folks likely already have the 30 dollar set of DVD's, so they can watch Fred's old hunting footage every day.  I think Bear Archery knew this, so they purposely didn't focus on entertainment, instead focused on archery promotion with the target audience being the young generation.  It was a documentary.

My favorite episodes of Fred's DVD are Oldest Game and Restless Spirit.  
I liked the one on the NWR in Pensacola Fla too.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2013, 08:44:00 AM »
Watched it via the link provided in he other thread on this.

Must admit to really loving it start to end. I guess I'm at the right age to remember archery when  Bear was it! First bow I ever shot was a Bear, the first bow I ever bought was a Bear, and the first  bow purchased upon returning to traditional was a Bear.

I've watched the DVDs so many times and never tire of them. Having had the opportunity to speak with Neil Byce several times you can feel the effort that Bear is putting into their trad lineup.

I'm a Fred bear guy without a doubt! The film of Fred shooting the Kodiak bear from behind the rock is an absolute all time classic.

Thanks Fred and Bear Archery.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2013, 11:41:00 AM »
Paul, My sincerest oppoligies, Sir!!! It was not my intention to come acrossed "snarkey"...

As many here have stated... There are many vidio,DVD sets out there if you're looking for "footage" of his hunts and exploits.

This was a documentory about the LIFE of Fred Bear. A legendary man, who built a legendary company. A company that strives to this very day (in spite of what some may think) to keep his legend alive!!!

I thought it was a very well made, and put together show!!! Perhaps just enough of a teaser,to get some of the younger generations interested enough, to go looking for some of his old film footage...
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Brianlocal3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2013, 11:51:00 AM »
Originally posted by woodchucker:

As many here have stated... There are many vidio,DVD sets out there if you're looking for "footage" of his hunts and exploits.

This was a documentory about the LIFE of Fred Bear. A legendary man, who built a legendary company. A company that strives to this very day (in spite of what some may think) to keep his legend alive!!!

I thought it was a very well made, and put together show!!! Perhaps just enough of a teaser,to get some of the younger generations interested enough, to go looking for some of his old film footage...
My sentiments exactly. Buy the DVDs, which are at a giveaway price. But enjoy this show for what it is, a documentary. I think they did a great job of telling about the heart and spirit of Fred Bear.  

As far as compounds go, Mr. Bear was a great businessman and he knew what it took to stay competitive and give the customer what they wanted, which was and is compounds. We are the minority and Bear archery still thinks highly of their roots so they are still putting out fantastic traditional bows.  The Bear Montana is the workingmans longbow , while the grizzly still hold working mans recurve title. Both will get the job done, and yet also offer us the higher end items if we'd like.

Kudos to Bear Archery.
JD Berry Taipan (original) 53@28 62”
Cascade mountain Brush Hawk 53@28 56”

Offline VictoryHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »
They really nailed it on the head with this documentary! If it's hunting you want get the dvd set, it's worth every cent. I really think this was a great look at the man himself, what he stood for, and how he created the industry. Given the time limits and whatnot I feel they did a great job.
There is a place for all God's creatures....right next to the potatoes and gravy.
>>>----------------->

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2013, 05:33:00 PM »
This is true.  Boring wasnt the right word to use, but it wasn't what I'd expected.  I didn't go in thinking documentary.  Most of what I saw were in the books I've read like "I Remember Papa Bear."  Except for some of what the interviews said like Papes which was very true!

I do need to get the DVD set!  The few I've seen were  awesome!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »
Apology accepted Woodchucker...no worries.  Like I said in my original post, I did like it, even though it wasn't quite what I was expecting.  You're right about it being a good teaser though...it did wet my appetite for more Fred Bear hunting footage.  Now I'll have to go find this DVD set everyone is talking about.

On a different note, I'm surprised that Ted Nugent wasn't part of the documentary.  Fred was an extremely influential friend of Teds, and Ted's song 'Fred Bear' is the quintessential opening-day anthem, at least here in Michigan.
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 07:48:00 PM »
Today was the first chance that I had to watch it and I thought it was great will watch it again but this time will have my two grandsons with me.
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I watched the Fred Bear video on the Sportsman Channel the other day and was reminded of something that is almost unbelievable. In 1976 they produced over 360,000 bows. In one year! That is about 1000 bows per day if they worked 7 days a week. Almost 7000 bows per week. If they worked 5 days per week that is almost 1400 bows per day! The American workers of that generation can be proud

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©