3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: which wood spine size again?  (Read 486 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
which wood spine size again?
« on: June 20, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
1953 Kodiak static recurve (K3) I draw this 27" and it has a B50 string I believe on it now but NON-FF..  

I need a 28" arrow hopefully at least 550grains total weight and I like 5" or 4" normal size  Parabolics or Ev Howler shaped fletching.  what spine with what size point woud you wood arrow folks recommend..

for the record I tried 45-46-47# 5/16 elites and they seem to fly good with HB shields but my Point of Impact is off so I think they are coming off the bow and kicking a little then straightening out because of the big fletch,, plus they are around 500Gr and I like my arrows 500 to 600gr total.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: which wood spine size again?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 01:24:00 PM »
What is the draw weight at your draw?  I think you will be able to spine on draw weight with a 28" BOP and 125 point.  Add a few pounds spine for a 160 gr point.  Heavier point may help with your dewsired arrow weight.  With doug fir you should be able to get shafts that will work.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I have no scale but I'm thinking 48 or 49lbs at 27,,,, I never really got to figure out woods like aluminum or carbon I could hit it right on the money but woods nah never could and just used big fletch this time I want smaller fletch...  

let me ask you this if I have a 54# spine wood arrow with a 125gr point and I put a 160gr point on how many pounds will that remove from the deflection,, your guess?
"Us vs Them"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:00 PM »
The 160 should be worth about 4-5 lbs, and should be very close if not right on for spine.  Give it a try with both point weights and see.  IMO it would be very worthwhile to shoot it thru paper from 6-10 feet.

You mentioned the POI being off with the 45-47 spine; was it left or right?  Have you thought about 190-200 gr points?
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 09:45:00 PM »
It would be easier to help if you went to the bow shop and found out what weight you were drawing. Gary

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:38:00 AM »
thanks everyone I'm going to get a dozen test bare shafts sent 45# to 57#,, maybe get two dozen more one with 160's and one with 145's..

why guess right...  thanks for the posts.
"Us vs Them"

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Bare shafting wood isn't always worth it imo.  When I've done it I end up with spine ratings about 20# more than my draw weight.  It works, but I end up with an arrow that is around 12 gpp.  I like a flatter trajectory so 10 gpp is better for me, but that means a shaft that shows pretty weak when bareshafted.  I compensate by with 5" fletching, usually 4x90.  I know a lot of folks here will say I'm nuts, but I get great bh flight.  Besides, that's the whole point of fletching, right?  Now, if I shot carbon, I would definitely bareshaft.  I guess my point is that you dont need perfect results when you bareshaft that test pack, just get in the ball park.  If shafts are breaking on oblique impact with the target, you're too weak.  If not, you're darn close.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 09:15:00 AM »
I hear where you are coming from and I done it that way for years and won many trophys even going 3 rounds in the original Eagle eye with big fletch woodies that where never bare shafted or paper tuned,,, like you it was done by eye.  

reason I'm back at it is I've bought maybe 5 dozen custom arrows from different people here which can get expensive and I'm either not happy with the arrows because its always one or the other,,,, one dozen flys okay but is not enough total grains or they don't fly perfect at all but have plenty of grain weight,, arrows are built fine and no complaints to any arrow smith I just never knew the perfect set-up to order...

I like my arrows on the heavier side at least 75grains more than average..if i order another set of arrows they need to be perfect,, otherwise I'll be shooting carbons only even from my selfbows.
"Us vs Them"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 04:59:00 PM »
I read not long ago to match the spine to the draw weight then add 5# spine for each inch of draw over 28" (subtract for less than 28")and add 5# spine for each 25 gr over 125 gr point (subtract for less that 125 gr).
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline thump

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Self bow; that’s the formula I’ve always used with my recurves and longbows at my 28,” draw and my wooden arrows have always flown perfect. I’ve never had to figure in fast flight or any of the other variables .But that’s me and what I do might not work for everyone  :archer2:

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 05:49:00 AM »
I remember hearing that formula too but forgot all about it,,, that was based on a 28" arrow right?    I was in my cellar and I counted 5 10 gallon buckets full of finished wooden arrows I have a lot more than I thought, even brand-new finished but unfletched shafts I got from the late Bob Gosdeck and I have no idea of the spines,,, I say that because I think I need to buck up and get a spine tester and bow weight scale.
"Us vs Them"

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 07:19:00 AM »
Yes, based on a 28" arrow with a 125 gr point-that's what spine ratings are based on.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©