3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Range Change (more change and pics added)  (Read 772 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Range Change (more change and pics added)
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:37:00 PM »
Won this new Target Face in a Karma Draw, from Matt Gundock, "Magnus". Got it yesterday but it was raining so couldn't place it on my Home Range until today. About 12 to 15 yards away, depending on where one stands (12 in this pic).

Close-up showing that I affixed it to my oldest foam target (which needed a new face-lift badly - LOL), on the "B" part of my range. You may recall from earlier postings that I have an A part (to the front of where we mostly stand), and a B part (to the rear of those standing areas).

The target face has grommets in the corners and I tied it securely , around and over the old target, with parachute cord, Of course I will eventually have to replace the cord I assume but that cord lasts longer than most. Makes a good looking target don't you think? Changed the old one from just a grazing deer outline, which I have a couple more of on the range. Also my old 3D Turkey target is getting so dry that one of these days it will probably explode into a pile of dust - LOL
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Range Change (more change and pics added)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 08:03:00 PM »
Took three shots at the target from 14 yds just to try it out. Two beautiful shots and one (the second one) I'd rather not have had on a Turkey but not bad for a target I guess - LOL All a little to the left but not sure what caused that - lack of practice I guess:

Close-up:

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline moleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Ive been checking out the Morrell target faces and I really like the looks of them.
For durability, price and lots of animal choices, you can put together a nice range for a small investment.....Ive already picked my critters out.
   :thumbsup:

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
They seem to be made of good material for target use and if the colors hold as fast as it looks like they might they should last pretty well, mm.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 11:40:00 PM »
I find that jazzing up a target jazzes up my concentration. Nice target, Bernie. I have yard envy.

Killdeer   :bigsmyl:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »
I'd cut out the turks and then place them seperately for a better focus, to get rid of the white background.
"Us vs Them"

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 08:50:00 AM »
Gee, Killy, your always welcome to come hang out at my yard, any old time. Thanks for the input.

T17, That might not be a bad idea BUT the face is made of some kind of synthetic weave that I'm afraid might unravel if cut, without applying binding on the edges - which might not be so easy. Working on your premise though, I may use some indelible felt tips and sort of put grass/hay in the white areas at least. If I do, and it doesn't cause instant barfing    ;)   , I'll put a picture up.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline agtex42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:00 PM »
Looking good Bernie, nice shooting too!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 03:09:00 PM »
Thanks, agtex42

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
Takes a brave man to stack concrete block at the back of his target range!

;)
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:00 AM »
LOL - Jeff, mostly they are out of the (normal) line of fire (it says here in fine print)    :D

You should see the huge brush pile I have just to the right of my A Range - it's already devoured one of my arrows this Spring (oooops). Maybe I'll find it if I ever get my light duty Shredder Chipper going on it (or I should say, "it's operator"    :p )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Appears you are set up for some quality practice opportunities and much enjoyment.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
I hope too, Friend.

Yesterday, I moved the climbing sticks from one side of my home range Loc-on stand to the other side of the tree/stand - I didn't like the way the roots of the tree had grown out and pushed the sticks out at the base and perhaps stressing them in an unsafe way. Today I had to go back up and 1. secure the top of the sticks(steps), 2. remove a limb (with a pruning pole) that had caught a falling limb and was blocking one of the target lanes, and 3. install  what is known as a life line (it allows one to be safely tied to the tree while climbing up and down to/from the stand, without using a Lineman's Loop). Here I am securing the Life Line to a pull rope so I can pull it up when ready to install it, before going up to do my "renovations".

Now I'm starting up, using a Lineman's Loop (hooks from one side of my safety vest's belt, around the tree and back to the other side of my vest belt with a carabineer at each end. The pruning pole is leaning against the tree so I can pull it up when ready for it also.

Up at the stand level (and above) I am lashing the top section of the climbing sticks around the tree, before leaving them to step onto the stand's platform.

Finishing up and stepping onto the platform - still hooked to the tree with my Lineman's Loop (which I moved above the stand). I will keep this on until the Life Line is installed

On the platform of the stand, I've raised the coiled life line and am affixing it around the tree, above the stand.

After pulling the pruning pole up and attending to the errant limbs, I pull up the life line to raise its prussik loop up to the top of the rope, so I can attach my vest/harness tether strap to it for my ascent down the sticks , while attached to the Life Line. I slide the prussik loop down as I descend. Then I will secure the bottom of the Life Line around the tree as well - for extra security and stability during future use (leaving the Prussik Loop at the bottom for my next climb into the stand).

(pics of finished project in next post)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »
Here a couple of pics of the "renovation. The Life Line is the black line running down the tree on the side nearest us - looped around the tree above the stand ---

and tied around it near the bottom (in between a couple of belts holding the climbing sticks first section in place). I will most likely put a couple more lines or belts around the climbing sticks and tree for added security in an ongoing stand such as this practice stand for my home range.

I try my best to bear in mind "Safety First" and hope all my friends do as well - at practice, or during hunts. BTW my vest/harness is the Rescue One CDS II (Controlled Descent System)

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
is it a bird is it a branch NO!!! its uncle Bernie    :jumper:  nice looking target and stand ya got there .  have fun uncle Birdy
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »
is it a bird is it a branch NO!!! its uncle Bernie    :jumper:  nice looking target and stand ya got there .  have fun uncle Birdy
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Rick Richard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 03:40:00 PM »
Bernie,

Good to see you are back to 100 percent and having fun.

Rick

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
Looks like a fun time in the back yard, Bernie!

It is just too hot to do much in the back yard in Texas these days!

Bisch

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
Very nice Bernie,at first I thought it was a bondage pic then I realized it was your safety harness.

I am impressed at the height you shoot at,keep up the good work.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2013, 06:34:00 PM »
You sure have a sweet set up in your yard... Wish mine was like that!
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©