3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk John Schulz  (Read 3607 times)

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
Let's talk John Schulz
« on: June 20, 2013, 04:55:00 PM »
John was one of the seminal figures in bow circles for many decades. His longbows rival anyone's. An amazing shot, he conducted 100s of workshops, gave shooting demonstrations, inspired 1,000s, made a video (or two) and wrote books.

Today it's difficult at best to learn much about him. His books are out of print; the video/DVD isn't sold.

Is anyone here in touch with John? Or know about his health? Does he still shoot? Let's get a discussion going!
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk John Schulz
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
I think Mr Schulz is long retired. I know that he has suffered some ill health after a work place accident some time back .

He has a fine legacy behind him , and IMHO , his books are required reading for the longbow enthusiast .

I have a personally signed letter that I framed he wrote to me that takes pride of place upon my wall.

I gather that he is happy for his legacy , in his books and students , to tell to us of the volumes of knowledge and experiences , rather than do it himself .

Personally , I believe that the archery world is a much finer place for me personally for all of Mr Schulz writings .

I am not much one for 'hero's' or even labels ... for their easy use diminish's the meaning , even the word "legend" seems lesser for its overuse in today's society ...

However,

Mr Schulz though is one who assuredly deserves archery legend status , and in my mind, alongside few others,   sits atop the heap
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:35:00 PM »
I really enjoyed his video "Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill". John was low keyed, stayed behind the scenes but he could probably write a great book about his hunts and the ones he shared with Howard.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 07:41:00 PM »
Joe, if you get a chance read "Straight Shooting" by John Schulz ... its a great read .
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:29:00 PM »
I'm proud to say I've known John for almost 40 years now. He's one of the finest men I've ever known. I attended his church for many years and must say he was one of the best preachers I've ever heard. Although he wasn't running from the law, I always wrote his address in pencil, as he bounced back and forth between Redding, CA, Hamilton, MT, Cody WY, Bull Shoals, AR and several other shorter stops in southern Missouri and Oregon if I remember right! The man liked to move! I have sitting beside me right now a half dollar coin John knocked out of the air twice in a row for me on July 1, 1975. I have two of his personal bows and several others he made for me. I was with him when he killed both his biggest bear and his biggest buck, and helped him track and drag both out. What memories! What shooting! John's wife Jane passed away not long ago. He has been back and forth between Cody and the Bitterroot since. Several of his children live in both areas. I'm going to try to hook up with him next month during my annual trip west. Not many people know that John was severely burnt in a fire in 2001. As a matter of fact, John was discharged from the Salt Lake City national Burn Unit Center just weeks before Paul Brunner was admitted for severe burns in his accident. They had the same physician. He signed #002 of 100 of his book "Straight Shooting" to me. I still have it. John designed the Hunters Head broadhead in the mid-'70s. I killed the first big game animal taken with it (a bear). When I later designed the Woodsman broadhead, I wanted a three blade version of the Hunter's Head, which always made John smile. Not many people know that John wrote poetry. I will share one of his poems later here. In summary, just let me say that John Schulz is one classy man. He made me a better person. I sincerely hope I get to see him again next month.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:00 PM »
Very interesting Gene. Thanks for those words about John. He's certainly one of my heroes.

PCG... there was never any decision to purposely exclude John from our legends forum. It's just that there is a lack of written material about the man. Get me enough stuff for an article and I'll add him myself... gladly.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 10:53:00 PM »
To Go Again
                       by John Shulz

I think I'd like to go again
To life that now has passed
With some old friends
To days that didn't last-

To once more hear the bay of hounds
While canyons deep send back the sound
And like the echo of that song
Fade into stillness- and then be gone-

To smell the salt of horse's sweat
(From ropin' calves) their bodies wet
Then go- tie one on the ground
And hope that I just won the round-

To wander through sweet rows of hay
And feel the sunshine of the day
Know that when it's put away
All dry and safe- let come what may-

Lone in some forest streaked with light
See "Mosshorn" stand - no sign of fright
My arrow sent from full drawn bow
True to the spot - it must needs go-

To go again by campfire bright
With lantern's soft dim glow
Retell those tales into the night
In voices hushed and low-

To go again to some filled hall
Then hear us preachers- one and all
Lift up God's Christ
And sound the Gospel call-

To go again when children- not yet grown
Were in their joy and play
Then all of life was only "home"
But now- they're gone away-

To go again? It cannot be
Except it is in memory
So then- I'll only look ahead
Not live the past- long dead-

No more of earth- my need to be
Of hollow things and vanity
But there together ever be
With Jesus Christ- Eternity-

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks heaps for posting that Gene.
I gathered you lads you were mates going by his writings in Straight Shooting .

I bought the last ten copies of that book from him , asking that one get signed if possible . Unfortunately they were all wrapped and in plastic ... either way I was happy just to get the copies as the book had become quite rare ...

A week after the books turned up here in Australia  ,I received  letter in the mail ... A letter from John wishing me well and that all my shooting be "straight shooting" ...

A great gesture from a man who has made quite an influence on me all these thousands of miles away .
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 11:14:00 PM »
I love learning about the guy and I love ogling his bows.  I've had the pleasure of two bows from his faithful student David Miller, both of which are functional art, John's bows must somehow be even just that much more special.  

John is known beyond the USA, I was doing some net surfing and found a book by a German author called "Legends in Archery" and John was included in the chapter list:

1. Maurice und Will Thompson

2. Ishi

3. Horace A. Ford

4. William J. Compton

5. Arthur H. Young

6. Saxton T. Pope

7. Walt und Ken Wilhelm

8. Hugh Rich

9. Frank Eicholtz

10. Ben Pearson

11. Sasha Siemel

12. Fred Bear

13. Ande Vail

14. Howard Hill

15. William Negley

16. Bob Swinehart

17. JOHN SCHULZ  <------------

18. Byron Ferguson
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I've met John many times in years past and cherished them all.  He was a fine gentleman and always willing to share!  Yep - A Legend!

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 11:20:00 PM »
Thanks Gene.  His poetry is as good as his shooting.

Offline stalkin4elk

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 11:21:00 PM »
For those who have not seen the man shoot.

http://archeryduns.webs.com/apps/videos/videos/show/14895607-hit-em-like-howard-hill-parts

I have tried unsuccessfully to find copies of his books and would like to know where to get them.
Thanks.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 11:33:00 PM »
Thanks for the vid link!!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline longbow guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2013, 12:08:00 AM »
Mr John Schulz, a legend    :notworthy:    :notworthy:    :notworthy:
(david miller) old tom , black widow  pl III and  pl ll
wifes (david miller) little hawk
wifes black rhino
two tracks longwalker
MLA Member and Compton Member

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 12:12:00 AM »
Thanks Gene  >>

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2013, 12:17:00 AM »
I have two signed letters from John concerning shooting, form, and bows...priceless.  He was the catalyst that got me shooting the longbow....in the early 80's I saw the photo of him shaking hands with Howie Fly over the buck that won the Wyoming national hunt...that did it for me.  The call of the American Longbow has been with me ever since.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »
Yup.  Everything said and more for sure.  I also have his "Straight Shooting" with a personalized note and some Scripture. I also heard he struggled with lung cancer perhaps (??)

A few weeks ago he was mentioned on this site.  I and others referred to reviewing his shooting style and philosophy.  A compelling perspective that is contrary to some current thinking here.  Check him out: (though realize that his name is NOT SchulTz, but S-C-H-U-L-Z; Schulz.)

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 02:34:00 AM »
Thank You Gene for the poem!! I read as I get ready for a long days work. Be some good thought today of a Man with a longbow and many friends he has not met .RC

Offline Ron Roehrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:00 AM »
Gene thank you for posting you always come up with interesting observations and stories,I think you have enough life experiences for another book maybe? I have two of Johns longbows and all his books and am a big fan and admire his accomplishments in life, raising a large family with Jane and keeping the Hill style of hunting and shooting going.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 07:27:00 AM »
I never met Mr. Schulz, but talked to him on the phone one time.  I have used his video for longtime and his booklet HIttem.  He put out "shooting straight" and I called to order it.  It was october and bowhunting here in illinois was in.  When the call connected, I was shocked and stunned to hear the voice of a living legend in traditional archery.  I asked if this was him, he said you betch ya.  I apoligized for calling for the book so late in the day but just got home from bowhunting and shot a nice whitetail.  Wow, we spent over an hour on the phone, him asking me all about it, and extemely interested, just like and old friend would of done.  He is a gentleman, and great man a true legend and in my humble opinion, one of the few who did and will always stand next to Mr. Hill.  Gob bless.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©