3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk John Schulz  (Read 3612 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk John Schulz
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 08:13:00 AM »
Great stuff here! I love to hear from those that really know.....

I will also add that Mr. Schulz was a "Master Builder" arguably with no equal.  Someone once told me that he built "Magic" into his bows.  I was skeptical until I picked up a Tembo made by him....no doubt about it!  :notworthy:

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »
"Hit em them like Howard Hill" was the first traditional video I watched. It inspired me to start my traditional journey.
Great stuff Gene, thanks for sharing.

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »
I assume this thread spurred by the other thread over on the other site currently running, and I totally understand Mr. Schultz being a great guy and preacher and all, and am glad to hear he is well, but I still find it very strange to be “retired” from archery.

If it’s a lifestyle and in your heart, how can one retire from that??? I don’t get that…

I met Mr. Schultz years ago at a traditional shoot and even bought some bamboo limb material from him (still have it around somewhere I believe), but for those wondering, a guy on the other site contacted Mr. Schultz a couple years ago requesting an interview and basically was told he  had retired from archery and refused to talk about it and had nothing more to do with it.

I wasn't listening on the other phone and don’t know the presentation or mood of the call, but still find that strange not wanting to share or talk archery especially after some refer him as an ambassador of the sport but it seemed to be more of a job to him…

You’d think he’d be wanting and willing to share his knowledge and experience to those interested and for the next generation, especially at his older age. Thought that is part of our tradition and heritage to pass it on???? I don’t know, maybe I just getting too old and grouchy myself, but I know I’ll always talk archery until the day I die, regardless of health or other activities.

Probably due to health, and erosion of the heritage, I may not hunt until the day I die but will always be an archery enthusiast until that day, along with being a naturalist, and will always freely talk about so…

Don’t mean to rain on anyone's parade, and sorry to blab,,, just wanted to vent I guess….

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 10:13:00 AM »
Zbone,
  Most of John's "retirement" and seclusion has to do with his health. He has a hard time both talking and writing now due to several physical problems. His hand writing is so shakey its hardly legible anymore and his voice quivers with most sentences. That is one of the reasons Jane learned to screened any and all of his incoming phone calls. Trust me, his heart is still in archery. There will probably come a time in all of our lives when our hearts say yes but our bodies don't. I did a magazine interview of John many years ago but I can't remember nor find the issue. Does anyone know which magazine and what is on the front cover? I probably still have it somewhere.

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 10:21:00 AM »
I met John at Marshall MI one very hot & humid July, where I learned to wear & use a back quiver and handle an arrow by the nock from him.  I use these techniques to this day.  He and his sons wore starched & ironed button shirts and pressed jeans with a belt/huge buckle & cowboy boots…a western thing.  I was hot just looking at them.  I could hardly wear shorts and a old thin T-shirt.  His mannerism was that of USMC Drill Instructor (and the physique to match) ...and there was not so much as a bead of sweat coming from him!  

He is man of spirit and absolute conviction to his beliefs.

Kris

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:00 AM »
Thanx Gene, makes sense….

My opinion came from hearsay, and as said wasn’t there to know exactly how the request was presented, and my apologies for assuming…

What I still remember of him when we met was – Wow, he still looks scrappy for his age. Was trying to think of the year and place but can only remember my kids were small so it had to have been over 20 years ago, and think it may have been at the Great Lakes Longbow shoot. Which one, I don't remember.

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 12:16:00 PM »
Here you go Mr.Wensel,
Oct/Nov 1994

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
Here's the article,

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 02:06:00 PM »
Nick, wonder if you could scan the article and post it here ??

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
I have that magazine still. Great artical it would be good if someone more computor savy than me could post it. I remember it speaks of nearly 250 fps with a hill style bow. Must have been pretty heavy.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2013, 03:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kris:
I met John at Marshall MI one very hot & humid July, where I learned to wear & use a back quiver and handle an arrow by the nock from him.  I use these techniques to this day.  He and his sons wore starched & ironed button shirts and pressed jeans with a belt/huge buckle & cowboy boots…a western thing.  I was hot just looking at them.  I could hardly wear shorts and a old thin T-shirt.  His mannerism was that of USMC Drill Instructor (and the physique to match) ...and there was not so much as a bead of sweat coming from him!

He is man of spirit and absolute conviction to his beliefs.

Kris
Oh  yes Kris, remember that weekend/day in Marshall Michigan back in the 1980's as well. That for me was to be the only time seeing John and the boys in person. Prior to and since have talked with John from time to time and always found him cordial and a wealth of information plus a joy to talk to.

God Bless John and his family and am sorry for your loss!
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pat B.:
Nick, wonder if you could scan the article and post it here ??
Hi Pat, Sorry,I don't have a scanner. I'll take some pics and see if it's readable on here.

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2013, 04:10:00 PM »
I just purchased that issue of the magazine through their site to read that article. Thanks for bringing this up, and working toward giving Mr. Schulz the recognition he deserves.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2013, 05:16:00 PM »
The obscurity of this legend remains obscure w/I  living as the humble servant.

One merely needs to open his eyes and ears and the worthy praise of this icon will pour forth.

My perception remains that Mr. Schulz's desires have been completely satisfied. He neither requires nor expects self validation. A man he is!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2013, 05:26:00 PM »

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2013, 05:46:00 PM »
Kudos for posting the article--!
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline Goshawkin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
LOL!!! ArrrGGHHH! I just took all the pics of the article to post.   :knothead:    "[dntthnk]"  
Boy,I wish I had that Natural now.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©