3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk John Schulz  (Read 3606 times)

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk John Schulz
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2013, 09:50:00 PM »
A good writer as well. "Straight Shooting" is a great read.RC

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »
Good stuff, guys. Thanks for sharing!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline arrow flynn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
I have the book a great read and it has an honored place in my  library .I was hoping for a book something along the lines of Craig ekins biography but morecoverage on howard from the time he and his brother met him. I mean the schulz brothers. In the early 90s I was at alongbow safari shoot in oregon and. Jim stotlerand his youngerqbrother we're there. He was helping jerrydishion sell stotler bows. He also knew howard hill very well and had some great stories to relate. Anyway does anyone else think the define itive biography on howard hill still needs to be written?
Arrow_Flynn

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2013, 12:13:00 AM »
Here is a link to James Schulz website.

http://huntingunderheaven.com/
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »
The Longbowman

Longbows & Short Shots

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2013, 05:30:00 AM »
Sill have the video tape bought 20 years or so ago.
How old is Mr. Schulz right now?
Thanks
No Country for Old Men

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »
Thanks for the link Jeff.  Interesting and admirable life and website. James sure looks like his Dad....guess buff genetics just kinda' runs in the family.  I didn't notice a single bit of archery anywhere in his journey, though.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
Agreed. Thanks for the link--
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
UP!!!
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:00 AM »
I agree though before we loose these gentlemen, someone might think about interviewing and recording history.  there are stories and info that will be lost to the age's.  If you could sit down with Mr. Schulz for an hour, what would be the three things you would want to know and/or ask him?

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
I would ask him one question for sure.  I believe I read here somewhere that he feels that the Hill-style bow and it's tradition has been lost over the years.  Something to that effect, so don't quote me. I would ask him why he feels that way.  What proof does he have?  Then I would show him the Hill bug thread and the threads such as this one in which we show nothing but the utmost respect for his skill, craftsmanship, knowledge, teachings and history and how we appreciate what he has so graciously passed along to us.  

I think it's really sad that a man like Mr. Schulz feels that way.  My wish would be to show him that his work is not lost to history and that it is alive and well in the work of bowyers who have learned from him; in the technique of those who have read his books and watched his videos; and in the joy we all get from drawing and shooting a longbow in pursuit of game or target.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Interesting thoughts Mike, but I could see why he might have that perspective.  Despite the recent surge in "traditional" archery, we are a minority amount "bowhunters".  Amoung that minority there are a fraction of us that choose to hunt with the straight end semi-longbow.  Still less within that subset of us are those that shoot and hunt with the Hill Style as he was taught (split finger, fluid and smooth, hunting from the ground and "getting after 'em", not using commercial camo, and exuding class at all costs).    I think Hill taught him his style in an unwavering fashion.  I think John has an unwavering personality.  Together they were both phenominal atheletes and extrememly gifted.  

That is a tall order for our generation to follow....or understand.  I just hope despite our shortcomings he recognizes even if it is amoung a small group on this thread....that his life's work in bowhunting and bowmaking is appreciated and revered.

I too was surprised when I started researching John, how little there was on the net of him....and most of it led me back here.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2013, 03:34:00 PM »
In the article he mentions he was working on 2 books at the time. Were they ever completed?

Eric

Offline stiknstringer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2013, 05:09:00 PM »
I would pay good money for a copy of Straight Shooting but can't find it anywhere!

Offline pcg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
The 2 published books have been "Straight Shooting" and "Hitting 'Em Like Howard Hill," the first issued in hardback and the second as a paper pamphlet.
-1 John Schulz RH bows
-2 TimberHawk Monarchs LH, RH
-3 GP Swift T/Ds, LH & RH; GP Long Curve RH
-3 Dave Miller longbows LH, RH
-3 Rempp selfbows

'Bow' in Greek means life but its work is death. -Heraclitus

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »
I just came back from my annual trip to the Bitterroot to see my kids and grandkids. John is living back in Hamilton again, ever the gentleman. I spent several hours with him (twice) during my recent visit. I wish I would have recorded the stories. We had some great laughs. I'm happy to say he is looking and feeling very well. He works out at the gym three times a week now. His voice is good once again after solving one health issue and I think I talked him into considering doing some limited guest speaker gigs again! I took some photos. I'll see if I can email them to anyone who knows how to post them on this thread. Stay tuned. Thanks.

Online stik&string

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »
Awesome news!

Online Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 01:25:00 AM »
Thanks Gene!
Lucas Kent

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »
Gene you can send them to [email protected]. I will post them in this thread.

I have had many of John's bows over the years. If you ever see a Hill Tembo come up for sale named Sagittarius you should consider giving it a whirl. It was one of the nicest I had made by John. I kick myself for selling that bow and another that was Bob Wesleys which was reworked by John Schulz to Howards specs.  

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 08:52:00 AM »
That is great news!  I would love to see/hear John talk / tell stories again!  Thanks so much Gene.

Sorry Gil.....That Sagittarius will never be up for sale again as long as I can pull it!

I have 2 of John's bows now and they are both exceptional.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©