3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Let's talk John Schulz  (Read 3608 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Let's talk John Schulz
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 09:53:00 AM »
Greg I bought that bow back twice. I never learn.

Here are the pictures from Gene.

TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
Awesome!  I love he still has very sharp creases in his Jeans and Shirt.   :thumbsup:   Very classy.  :notworthy:

Offline MikeNova

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Thanks Gene!

Offline mikebiz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Thanks for the update and photos, Gene.  It's great to see that Mr. Schulz is doing well.  Glad to know that his health has improved.  I guess that clean Montana air will do that for you.  I hope you passed along how he's still revered in our little circle around here.  I would love to see him speak sometime.
"...and last of all I leave to you the thrill of life and the joy of youth that throbs a moment in a well bent bow, then leaps forth in the flight of an arrow." - Saxton Pope

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 02:45:00 PM »
After reading through this thread and seeing the pictures, I just had to go out and shoot a few with my John Schulz bows. They are still the best that I have ever bought and I can still shoot them.  I do regret not getting one that was around 50 pounds.  They will always be the standard to measure all of my bows.  Nice work John.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: September 03, 2013, 12:33:00 PM »
Does anybody know John's birthday?
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: September 03, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
This thread is just a really great read, especially since I'm a big fan of Hill bows and old school ways.  I have both of John's books but I've learned things about him that might never have been learned anywhere else...thanks to Gene and others here who have actually passed quality time with him.

I find his poem to be very interesting, especially the following verses:

"To go again when children- not yet grown
Were in their joy and play
Then all of life was only "home"
But now- they're gone away-

To go again? It cannot be
Except it is in memory
So then- I'll only look ahead
Not live the past- long dead-"

As enjoyable as it was for John to have lived through so many good times, it may be equally as painful for him to relive them now. What a grand old world that must have been for him!  Can any of us say that we would not give everything we own to go back in time and spend even just a few precious moments with our beautiful wife and children and healthy friends, back when we were the happiest?  But, can anyone deny that as wonderful as such times were, recalling them might also be too painful to endure in the quiet life of old age and a house empty of those loved ones?

John is getting old and dusk is approaching.  Perhaps he'd rather not be reminded of cherished things that once were but are no more.  Maybe it just hurts too much for him to dwell on it, and so he chooses to allow the past to stay the past.  Who are we to demand anything else?  Maybe letting him relax and respecting how HE wants to finish his days, is really the best way to honor him.  Great men deserve no less.

Sometimes silence is golden. God bless John Schulz...for the man he was, the man he is and for what he means to us all.

Online 4dogs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »
Wise words TSP
>>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: September 03, 2013, 11:36:00 PM »
Mr. Gene, Thank you for the pics and update on Mr. John . I reread the poem a while ago and it gets better every time. Good to see old friends chatting.RC

Offline Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: September 04, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Terrific thread...Thank you Gene and the others that have posted!

Offline tomwatson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2013, 01:27:00 PM »
Gene, with those years hunting with John, I wonder why you were not a convert to the longbow. Any particular reason?
“To chase game with the ghosts of other hunters from other times-that's all he really asks." - The Restless Spirit.

Offline far rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: November 03, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
up
Noli rogare pro onia pauciora, rogate pro scapulas latiores.

I go afield with bent wood, stick and string in search of serenity  through my primal quest.

Venatôr

Offline Steve B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »
I was doing a little research on John Schulz and found this thread, because:

The other day at work one of the new guys comes up to me and says he heard that I "make bows".  I said, "yea, selfbows," and we chatted a bit.
Turns out this new guy is John Schulz's grandson.

I'd only heard of John Schulz but didn't really know who he was, until now.

So today the guy (I don't really want to drop names without permission.  This guy is the son of John's son, John jr.) comes up to me and says he has a bow for me to look at.  So I did.  In fact its in my car right now because I'm going to take it home after work and take some pics of it.  
Not sure if anyone would be interested in the pics, but the bow is gorgeous.  It is boo sandwiched in black fiberglass with what looks like maple handle. A 60 pounder.

Anyway, small world.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2013, 06:04:00 AM »
Heck yeah we're interested in pictures!  Pretty cool new friendship you're developing there.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2013, 06:22:00 AM »
While living in Sheridan, WY, I contacted Mr. Schulz, who at the time was living in Cody, Wy. about building a bow for me.  Ended up John Jr. made up a couple of bows for me.  

It was a pleasure meeting the Schulz family.  What fine people they are.

I have #99 of 100 of Mr. Schulz signed books and also have his VHS tape which I am actually dropping off today to have converted to DVD.

These items are my most cherish Archery items.  I'm fortunate my Father introduced me to Archery and the Great Outdoors many, many years ago.

Offline BigTimber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2013, 07:15:00 AM »
Well Shoot,  Actually it was Tom who build my Bow and I have copy 96 of 100 of John's book.  Old age can be a terrible thing.

Offline tg2nd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2013, 07:23:00 AM »
up
German by birth, Bavarian by the grace of god

Offline Craig Schoneberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2013, 11:30:00 AM »
pcg - thanks for starting this post.  'Straight Shooting' sits on my nightstand.  I read from it often.  

I had not shot one of Mr. Schulz's bows until recently.  Ben Maher generously donated a John  Schulz longbow to Compton Traditional Bowhunters - the bow will be auctioned at the Compton Traditional Bowhunters Big Game Classic in Louisville, KY.  Wow! Talk about a beautiful bow - and it shoots as well or better (if that's possible) than it looks!  I had to 'test' it to make sure it was okay for the auction - right???

Anyway, have enjoyed this post about a legend and true gentleman.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member
Nebraska Bowhunters Association Life Member
Nebraska Traditional Archers Life Member
Traditional Archers of Nevada Founding Member
Colorado Traditional Archers Society

Offline BRIARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
The update pictures and information are great. Man he does look good.

What struck me from the old pictures were how good of shape he was in. Huge arms and not an ounce of fat on him.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2016, 05:02:00 AM »
A good read.  

Glad John taught a few others how to make these great bows.
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©